Trade

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
Gibson plays good defense and will be useful on pick-and-rolls with Russ.
upload_2017-2-23_13-52-54.png

McBuckets will knock down corner threes, especially from the left.
upload_2017-2-23_13-53-8.png

Two solid acquisitions, but obviously they need to (and almost certainly will) add a PG. They have a roster spot open, so adding a current FA PG would be possible. If so, Mario Chalmers, Greivis Vasquez, Norris Cole, or Kirk Hinrich might be in play.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Two solid acquisitions, but obviously they need to (and almost certainly will) add a PG. They have a roster spot open, so adding a current FA PG would be possible. If so, Mario Chalmers, Greivis Vasquez, Norris Cole, or Kirk Hinrich might be in play.
Deron Williams was just released by Mavs. Thoughts on him as back up PG?

Lab Rat

A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
Deron Williams was just released by Mavs. Thoughts on him as back up PG?
He's probably better than any of the guys that I listed. Although, with the acquisition of two former Bulls, adding Hinrich would be interesting.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
He's probably better than any of the guys that I listed. Although, with the acquisition of two former Bulls, adding Hinrich would be interesting.
never mind. Derron is already saying he is going to Cavs after he clears waivers

Lab Rat

A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
never mind. Derron is already saying he is going to Cavs after he clears waivers
That would mean that the Cavs would have no reason to hold onto Chalmers, and if he is healthy, I would gladly take him.

Nov 27, 2007
Payne, Morrow and Lauvergne for McDermott, Gibson and a 2018 2nd round pick. Good trade? Who backs up Russ???
Good trade.

- Payne, as much potential as he has, he has played poorly this year. Example: 33% FG, with negative VORP and very negative Box Score plus/minus (BPM).
- Morrow does one thing well and has done that thing very poorly this year, shooting 29% from 3 this year.
- Lauvergne has been a nice surprise, but in reality was our 3rd or 4th PF at this point, behind Kanter, Sabonis and Jerami Grant, and we'd be unlikely to keep him past this year anyway.

And we turned all that into:
- An actual, natural Small Forward who in a down year is shooting better than 37% from 3.
- A great, athletic & versatile defender who can defend SF-C, as well as has nice touch around rim, good rebounder, and above average mid-range jumper.

I like it.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Good trade.

Payne and Morrow get a change of scenery, and Laverne was not sticking around after the year.

Gibson will start and provide veteran leadership(and production). I see him like Perk with production. He's used to playing with ball dominate point guards like D. Rose and Rondo. BTW, that corner 3 he knocked down this year was on the Thunder in OKC.

McBuckets needed a change of scenery too. He has a nice stroke, but unlike Morrow his feet are not in concrete. He can move, he can drive a little, and comes off screens. His defense isn't great, but I think this dude could really flourish.

Thunder got better: solidified down low and gives Sabonis a chance to keep growing with less responsibility. They added shooting and length, though he isn't a great defender.

I think they could use Oladipo as a primary backup point guard until they add someone via free agency. For whatever reason I want Vasquez if he is back from his surgery. I like his game.

Lab Rat

A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
I guess the Pistons couldn't find any takers for Reggie Jackson.

I wonder if this is one (or two) reason(s) why. He leads all NBA players in dribbles per possession and touch time per possession. More than CP3, Kyrie, Westbrook, Harden, or LeBron.
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 12.31.56 PM.png

Does anyone miss Reggie Jackson? Me neither.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I guess the Pistons couldn't find any takers for Reggie Jackson.

I wonder if this is one (or two) reason(s) why. He leads all NBA players in dribbles per possession and touch time per possession. More than CP3, Kyrie, Westbrook, Harden, or LeBron.
View attachment 53001

Does anyone miss Reggie Jackson? Me neither.
He can't handle competition. Ish Smith taking his Minutes. Pitiful.

Lab Rat

A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
He can't handle competition. Ish Smith taking his Minutes. Pitiful.
Here's the 23 NBA starting guards with a usage rate of >25%. Jackson ranks 20th of 23 in PER, 19th in Win Shares, 19th in Box Plus/Minus, and 19th in Value Over Replacement Player. Obviously this list contains some great players, but Jackson is no better than a backup PG on a playoff team.
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 5.02.40 PM.png

Nov 27, 2007
If we can find a good backup pg in fa this second unit is going to be legit. Super excited after seeing them play tonight

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
I think the following may be available now or within the next couple of days:
- Mario Chalmers
- Jose Calderon
- Steve Blake
- Kirk Hinrich

Lab Rat

A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
I think the following may be available now or within the next couple of days:
- Mario Chalmers
- Jose Calderon
- Steve Blake
- Kirk Hinrich
Assuming they are all healthy (which is not a very good assumption).
  1. Chalmers
  2. Hinrich
  3. Calderon
  4. Blake
That said, I think that Calderon and Blake are probably finished and Hinrich might be too. JLIII might also be an option, and like Hinrich he played with Taj Gibson in Chicago, fwiw.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Here's the 23 NBA starting guards with a usage rate of >25%. Jackson ranks 20th of 23 in PER, 19th in Win Shares, 19th in Box Plus/Minus, and 19th in Value Over Replacement Player. Obviously this list contains some great players, but Jackson is no better than a backup PG on a playoff team.
View attachment 53007
My point exactly. Dude needs to understand his value and get about the business of winning. He has some great ability, but he is not a leader in any shape or form.

Lab Rat

A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
Gibson plays good defense and will be useful on pick-and-rolls with Russ.
View attachment 52958
McBuckets will knock down corner threes, especially from the left.
View attachment 52959

Norris Cole it is. This probably means that Chalmers, Vasquez and Hinrich were not healthy.