Trade scenario

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 19, 2012
A little NBA Trade Machine fun since GS still looking great. I think the Thunder are finally meshing, but I don't think they'd pass up this deal. The Rockets tried to do a deal for Melo before we got him. If the Pellies decide to blow it up, I'm sure us and Rockets would have to provide a first round pick too:
Screenshot_20180104-130636.png

Dec 19, 2012
I'm also thrilled we didn't take Blake, and it's not because of OU ties. Between Blake and Russ's salaries we wouldn't get able to afford anything else. I think Blake is overpaid for what he offers, he's not a top 10 player.

Additionally, I saw Bron would consider Golden State if they can offer max. I think it would be hilarious to see Bron, KD, and Steph with them ditching Draymond and Thompson for salary space. I don't think those three can coexist efficiently, and the Warriors would lose depth.

I loved the idea of Avery Bradley, but we weren't going to offer anything close to what Clips did. I saw we are a dark horse for recently bought out Greg Monroe. I'm also seeing us potentially linked to Rodney Hood, will be interesting to see if Presti can pull anything off, we have high need at SG and backup C.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
Agreed, but it tells me that Presti must really think they are keeping George. Blake is a legit star and locked up for 5yrs, on a massive deal, but PG will be more expensive.
I understand why Detroit took him, because they need someone to sell tickets, but that guy is injury prone and is already losing his explosiveness, and that is the #1 thing his game is built around. Don't need him locked to the team with a contract taking him to the age of 33. That would be a disaster for a team like the Thunder.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I understand why Detroit took him, because they need someone to sell tickets, but that guy is injury prone and is already losing his explosiveness, and that is the #1 thing his game is built around. Don't need him locked to the team with a contract taking him to the age of 33. That would be a disaster for a team like the Thunder.
i agree to all of that. Just saying that getting a stud with a contract might be attractive if you didn't think you could keep PG.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Tony Allen has been traded to Bulls and they are expected to waive him.
Would be a nice pickup to replace Roberson

Dec 19, 2012
Tony could add a lot to our defensive mentality and accountability like he did at Memphis. I expect he would probably only give a good quarter of play against GS and Houston each game.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
As soon as Roberson went down I told my group of friends that Tony Allen would be the perfect replacement. I would be pretty stoked if it actually happened.

Nov 27, 2007
As soon as Roberson went down I told my group of friends that Tony Allen would be the perfect replacement. I would be pretty stoked if it actually happened.
Tony Allen of 8 years ago, maybe. He’s 36, coming off a major injury & I don’t know that he would add as much offensively as Roberson. Dre was good for 2-3 easy baskets each game just by using his supreme athleticism to make cuts & has nice touch around the rim.

Roberson could also guard 4 positions. Even in his prime, Tony Allen wasn’t as great defensively as Roberson has been this year. Roberson was strongly contesting for DPOY this year.

And at 36, coming off a major injury, is he really going to provide that much better defensive than Huestis or Ferguson?

I just don’t see Tony Allen as being a helpful player to this team. But, if the Thunder do pick him up, I sincerely hope that I am very wrong :)

Oct 30, 2007
Tony Allen of 8 years ago, maybe. He’s 36, coming off a major injury & I don’t know that he would add as much offensively as Roberson. Dre was good for 2-3 easy baskets each game just by using his supreme athleticism to make cuts & has nice touch around the rim.

Roberson could also guard 4 positions. Even in his prime, Tony Allen wasn’t as great defensively as Roberson has been this year. Roberson was strongly contesting for DPOY this year.

And at 36, coming off a major injury, is he really going to provide that much better defensive than Huestis or Ferguson?

I just don’t see Tony Allen as being a helpful player to this team. But, if the Thunder do pick him up, I sincerely hope that I am very wrong :)
TA's minutes have been cut way down this season. But last year as a starter he had better stats than Roberson in almost every category; points, rebounds, assists, steals, 3P%, and FT%. If he can get back healthy, he could really help out in Roberson's absence.

In his prime TA was the best on-ball defender in the game. Kobe Bryant said he was the toughest defender he ever faced. Roberson is really versatile, but TA was a special player defensively.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012

C’mon man. You are typically a very smart poster, but take off your crimson glasses for this one. Roberson made the NBA All-Defensive 2nd Team last year, which was the first of his career. Cool.

Meanwhile, Tony Allen has made the 1st or 2nd All-Defensive Team in each of the past 6 seasons. He joined Dre on the NBA All-Defensive 2nd Team last year, which was the third of his career. He has also been named to the NBA All-Defensive 1st Team three times. He guards positions 1-4, whichever is the team’s best scorer. In the playoffs, he’s guarded everyone from KD to CP3, Kawhi to Harden, Klay to Kobe. And you’re asking if he’s a defensive upgrade over Huestis or Ferguson? smh...

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009

We don't need to sign TA to a multi-year deal. We need somebody to be our pitbull for the rest of this season and into the playoffs. He is 36, wants to play for a contender and is exactly what we need on defense. I could care less if he scores a single point on offense.

P.s. TA in his prime was light years better than Roberon's best performance.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I've seen a lot of trade speculation, but it is clear we need a starting 2 and some bench help stat. These dudes are the most mentally weak of any team I have watched. Every time a player has ever gone down in Thunder history it takes a long time for them to adjust. They make a trade and it takes a long time for them to adjust. Other teams seem much more able to roll with punches and integrate new guys, I don't get what it is honestly.

Trade scenarios I have seen(players we could target, but probably lack the assets to get)

1. Lou Williams(no way)
2. Jordan Clarkson(kicked our ass but not likely)
3. Tyreke Evans
4. Avery Bradley(is somehow available but I thought recently traded guys couldn't be traded but he keeps coming up) *great get if possible though
5. Tony Allen
6. Marcus Smart(I don't know how getable he is, but I would love this like no other. If feels like truly embracing our lack of outside shooting except for PG) *I would absolutely love this guy on OKC!
7. Marco Bellineli (seems to have been a bigger name for us when Dre was healthy)
8. Rodney Hood (This would be a coup as well. He is super inconsistent, but he wouldn't have to be a primary or even secondary guy here.)

There are more, but those were of the top of my head.

Dec 19, 2012
As for Tony Allen, worse case scenario: he doesn't play much but helps us with defensive strategy/mentality/accountability.

Trade deadline is Feb. 8. I bet Presti is burning up the lines trying to find a 2 starter with how we've been playing. We are in a position to mortgage a bit of our future (i.e. Ferguson/Grant/Huestis) to convince PG to stay.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
BTW, until this week, I have been set against trading Ferguson. Not so much now. If he is needed to land someone that can really help now, do it.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
The Salt Lake Tribune is reporting that the Thunder are one of three teams interested in Rodney Hood (along with the Bulls and Pistons).

Although Hood is on the final year of his contract, a sign-and-trade might make this hypothetical deal worthwhile.
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 12.16.33 PM.png

However, while Hood is obviously a big upgrade over Roberson on offense, Roberson's total value is significantly higher, as estimated by Win Shares and VORP.
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 12.20.20 PM.png

So, it's probably better in the long-term to sign Tony Allen off of waivers and continue letting Ferguson develop.