Too soon: Dru Brown or Spencer Sanders?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

QB starter next year

• Dru Brown

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • Spencer Sanders

Votes: 112 86.2%

• Total voters

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
???? Daniels transferred to play with his brother. I don't think Dru Brown has a brother at OSU.
Oh, so you actually realize grad transfers don't always leave because of fear of losing their job starting job. So, how do you know that's why Dru Brown left?

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
That, "another year to learn the offense" excuse is BS. It's not that hard to learn 6-9 plays that Yurcich used.

If you're telling me that Brown and Sanders both could learn a freakin' simple offense that we ran and Corndog was the only one that could is a crock 'o crap.
Sanders most likely wasn't a "learn the play book" issue so much, but he was 190 pound freshman that had 2 season ending injuries in high school. I suspect that Gundy thought he would be much better prepared after a year of training, getting bigger, and stronger under coach Glass.

wreck

A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Oh, so you actually realize grad transfers don't always leave because of fear of losing their job starting job. So, how do you know that's why Dru Brown left?
Of course there are exceptions, but grad transfers USUALLY transfer because they want more playing time than what they can get by staying put. QB's are particularly more apt to transfer because of playing time.

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Of course there are exceptions, but grad transfers USUALLY transfer because they want more playing time than what they can get by staying put. QB's are particularly more apt to transfer because of playing time.
I don't know why he transferred, but he had good numbers and hadn't done anything to lose the job. I don't know who's coaching Hawaii, but around here, Gundy is sticking with the proven vet. I just don't buy your speculation and you really can't do anything to prove it.. so.. maybe stop saying he transferred because he was a two year starter with a sophomore behind him with an Alabama A&M offer.

wreck

A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
I don't know why he transferred, but he had good numbers and hadn't done anything to lose the job. I don't know who's coaching Hawaii, but around here, Gundy is sticking with the proven vet. I just don't buy your speculation and you really can't do anything to prove it.. so.. maybe stop saying he transferred because he was a two year starter with a sophomore behind him with an Alabama A&M offer.
Fine ..... I originally said "probably" in the first place! It's just my opinion (just like yours).

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Sanders most likely wasn't a "learn the play book" issue so much, but he was 190 pound freshman that had 2 season ending injuries in high school. I suspect that Gundy thought he would be much better prepared after a year of training, getting bigger, and stronger under coach Glass.
That's a strong possibility for him not to play, but to totally ignore Brown for the entire season without any game day experience which puts us into a new season without an (OSU) experienced quarterback.

Corndog did improve, but for the sake of the next season, Gundy also sacrificed this season (IMO) for keeping Cornelius in the entire time. There were games that possibly could have been won with a change.
You never know until you try.
And we'll never know because no one else was tried.

But we ecked out a 7 win season.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Because Brown was recruited by exactly nobody out of high school and his successor at least had a few d1 offers. Brown was Hawaii's Corndog for 2 years.
I wonder who he is talking about here, or just speaking generally?

https://twitter.com/dbrownTNDO/status/1081270076311883777

Definitely read his replies on the thread also.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
That, "another year to learn the offense" excuse is BS. It's not that hard to learn 6-9 plays that Yurcich used.

If you're telling me that Brown and Sanders both could learn a freakin' simple offense that we ran and Corndog was the only one that could is a crock 'o crap.
You're right about that. Sanders needed a year to heal from high school injuries and lift weights and get bigger. He'll be ready next year at the start of the season. He'll have the higher ceiling and more room to improve than Brown. That's why I think he'll be the starter, and we'll have a capable backup in Brown with the added benefit that he can't transfer.

Mar 31, 2011
Worked for Chuba!

Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
Dusty D on the Franchise said his source at OSU said that Sanders is not really what they thought he could be after 7 months.FWIW.Rober Allen is our only "inside source" but I have learned he has a hard time telling the truth about a player if it is negative.He waits until they are gone and then tells the truth.Similar to the coaches that leave.

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
Dusty D on the Franchise said his source at OSU said that Sanders is not really what they thought he could be after 7 months.FWIW.Rober Allen is our only "inside source" but I have learned he has a hard time telling the truth about a player if it is negative.He waits until they are gone and then tells the truth.Similar to the coaches that leave.

Dusty D is on the franchise now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
This is exactly the opposite of every report that everybody with inside info has put out since Sanders got on campus.

I'm not saying you're wrong... But I am saying that you should probably ignore anything said on any Oklahoma sports radio station.

Sanders is going to be great for OSU.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Sanders was the #1 recruit out of Tx. He won the Tx player of the year like TM. He will be the next OSU quarterback unless MG ruins him.
What QB has Gundy "ruined"? Wes Lunt... Who he started in game one as a true freshman... But Gundy doesn't start the best QB he always sticks with loyal guys who have been in the system, right?

Do y'all even think about the things you post? Good lord. There's just no winning with some of you. Posters like you disgust me. Can't believe you're Poke fans.

I'm thinking maybe we do what we did with mason and Walsh.
Why? Brown is slow and his arm isn't any better than Sanders based on the film.

It's going to be Dru Brown. Look at his numbers he put up at Hawaii and that was with little talent. Spencer Sanders will start after Dru's final year is complete.
Dru Brown put up less yards and touchdowns in two years than Cornelius did in one. He's never going to see anything more than mopup duty in an OSU uniform. If he wanted to play, he should've gotten his schoolwork done on time to start at OSU last January.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
What QB has Gundy "ruined"? Wes Lunt... Who he started in game one as a true freshman... But Gundy doesn't start the best QB he always sticks with loyal guys who have been in the system, right?

Do y'all even think about the things you post? Good lord. There's just no winning with some of you. Posters like you disgust me. Can't believe you're Poke fans.
Never said he ruined anyone, but no he doesn't always start the best qb. Robinson/Weeden fiasco comes to mind. As far as my disgusting you, you can kma. I've had season football tickets for the last 34yrs and I'll have a different opinion if I so please. Get over yourself.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
So I skipped through a lot of this but is Dru Brown really that good? I know Hawaii had "no talent" but did they magically get a lot more between 2017 and 2018? Because the kid they had this past year was better in almost every way throwing the ball than Brown was in 2017.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten: Spencer Sanders’ quest – to secure ‘ownership’ status at OSU...

It was important for Oklahoma State to have signed Sanders — a quarterback who was named Mr. Texas Football by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine. Sanders also was the Gatorade Texas Player of the Year.

Now, it’s critically important Sanders thrives as a Cowboy. If he flourishes in Gundy’s system, then it enhances OSU’s ability to sign a comparably decorated Texas quarterback in 2020 or 2021.

Dru Brown was a 25-game starter at Hawaii, so no one is dismissing the possibility he can really push Sanders or even win the Cowboy job. However, Sanders is the highest-rated quarterback signed by OSU since Bobby Reid in 2004.

If Sanders can become at OSU what he was at Ryan High School in Denton, Texas, then he’ll quarterback the Cowboys during the next three or four seasons.

Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
This is exactly the opposite of every report that everybody with inside info has put out since Sanders got on campus.

I'm not saying you're wrong... But I am saying that you should probably ignore anything said on any Oklahoma sports radio station.

Sanders is going to be great for OSU.
Maybe so.I have learned not to believe much RA says.He knows who butters his bread.