Too soon: Dru Brown or Spencer Sanders?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

QB starter next year

• Dru Brown

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • Spencer Sanders

Votes: 112 86.2%

• Total voters

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Lookit, Corndawg was a 1-year stop-gap measure while we got someone else ready. Brown would also be a 1-year stop-gap measure while we got someone else ready. If Sanders needs another year to "learn the offense" then he ain't the guy and it is someone else that we're getting ready next year. Sanders would then be transferring. So, if Brown starts next year then Sanders transfers. My guess is that Sanders starts day 1.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
he is technically not a one year starter. Started 2 years at Hawaii with great success.
I don't think most people agree with your idea of "great success" he had pretty pedestrian numbers at Hawaii against much weaker competition. He transferred here because a true sophomore was going to take his job, that true sophomore then lit it up with virtually the same supporting cast against virtually the same competition, I'd temper my expectations because Sanders will be the QB1.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
I don't think most people agree with your idea of "great success" he had pretty pedestrian numbers at Hawaii against much weaker competition. He transferred here because a true sophomore was going to take his job, that true sophomore then lit it up with virtually the same supporting cast against virtually the same competition, I'd temper my expectations because Sanders will be the QB1.
But he should have started over Cornelius this year, don’t you know?

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
2018 was all about strategy for HCMG. Oregon State has no idea who our QB1 will be in the opener. What a genius!!

*this post is meant to be sarcastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I, for one, am very excited about that game location and am hoping to make the trip to Corvallis Oregon...considered one of the top college towns in the country and one of the top 10 places to live in the USA. Maybe it's just me...or the bazaaro OSU factor, but I've actually wanted to go there for a long long time...I feel like we are sort of long lost twins or something...:derp:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Unless Brown is a superstar he should NOT be the starter. We'd be idiotic to start over 3 years in a row.
I fully expect Spencer Sanders will become a superstar.
The smartest thing I've ever seen you say. The only thing you could have said smarter would have been to add, "if Brown were a superstar he would have started this year."

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
I get that the guy behind Brown ended up having a great season at Hawaii, but how do you know he was going to lose his job to him? Only because the other guy had a good season?

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
I get that the guy behind Brown ended up having a great season at Hawaii, but how do you know he was going to lose his job to him? Only because the other guy had a good season?
That is why he probably grad transferred...... he thought he was losing his starting job.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Lookit, Corndawg was a 1-year stop-gap measure while we got someone else ready. Brown would also be a 1-year stop-gap measure while we got someone else ready. If Sanders needs another year to "learn the offense" then he ain't the guy and it is someone else that we're getting ready next year. Sanders would then be transferring. So, if Brown starts next year then Sanders transfers. My guess is that Sanders starts day 1.
That, "another year to learn the offense" excuse is BS. It's not that hard to learn 6-9 plays that Yurcich used.

If you're telling me that Brown and Sanders both could learn a freakin' simple offense that we ran and Corndog was the only one that could is a crock 'o crap.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Because Brown was recruited by exactly nobody out of high school and his successor at least had a few d1 offers. Brown was Hawaii's Corndog for 2 years.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Because Brown was recruited by exactly nobody out of high school and his successor at least had a few d1 offers. Brown was Hawaii's Corndog for 2 years.
I wonder who he is talking about here, or just speaking generally?

https://twitter.com/dbrownTNDO/status/1081270076311883777

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
Eh.. I'm not sold on that, Rob. The same can be said for Cole McDonald. He had next to nobody offers according to Rivals, so you might want to review his those "few d1 offers." What I see between the two players is a pass heavy offense this year under McD and a balanced offense when Dru Brown was running the show. They had a bell cow during Brown's time. With McD they have two dude who couldn't even muster 1000 yards on the ground between them both. If we're playing the theory game, my theory is that Hawaii relied on the pass because they had two chumps that didn't come close to equaling a bell cow at RB.

Who knows though? Maybe a sophomore recruited by exactly nobody would have taken the job from a senior that was recruited by exactly nobody, but I'd like to see something more concrete than an online theory.