Time for BB coaching change should be about 3-4 weeks!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Losing Watson, whom I understand is a relative of Boynton, is a huge red flag
That is presuming he did anything wrong. At this point, it is anyone's guess. Some may say he is running from the charges; personally, I think he is running from the inevitable scrutiny and assumptions. I could be wrong.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
That is presuming he did anything wrong. At this point, it is anyone's guess. Some may say he is running from the charges; personally, I think he is running from the inevitable scrutiny and assumptions. I could be wrong.
Sorry, but I think it says a lot when the ex boyfriend and former walkon player breaks into his place and tags "Rapist" all over the place. Im pretty confident that something sketchy happened, and that the girl was not a willing participant.

Aug 16, 2012
Sorry, but I think it says a lot when the ex boyfriend and former walkon player breaks into his place and tags "Rapist" all over the place. Im pretty confident that something sketchy happened, and that the girl was not a willing participant.
And the mother of every criminal goes on TV to tell everyone just how good a boy he was and was never in any trouble. I believe the two had sex and at this point, it is a classic he said-she said. The fact the ex took it into his own hands in no way indicates guilt by Watson IMO. I have seen a thousand times in my life how people closely associated with a situation lose all common sense and defend their party in a conflict to the very end. People do that out of loyalty all the time. In fact, the ex pulling his stunt actually reinforces my glass half-full optimism for Watson. If Watson was ready to go to jail/prison, most people supporting the girl would strut around and say, "Serves the d-bag right, he deserved it" and relish in their belief that justice has been duly served. But when the ex takes it into his own hands, that reeks of frustration and myopic revenge to me. This can easily be an indication that they are not pleased with how the situation is shaking out, especially if her lawyer has told her Watson is going to walk, so he (the ex) takes it upon himself to enact his juvenile justice.

Again, time will tell. Been too many Tawana Brawleys, fake n-words on restaurant receipts, fake accusations of being beat up by rich private school kids, Duke lacrosse players, etc. for me make an opinion without evidence and only the accusation itself.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That could mean he still loves the girl and will do whatever she wants. Being manipulated by a girl to do stupid things is a college guy trait.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Losing Watson, whom I understand is a relative of Boynton, is a huge red flag
He's not running from the charges, the DA declined to file any charges.

Oct 30, 2007
Dont know your opinions on Scott, but he did have multiple 20 win seasons at ORU. Not exactly a school with the support and resources for basketball that OSU has. And, I guarantee he would produce better results than we are getting right now. Not saying Id want him to be head coach moving forward, but if he were able to make the tourney with this squad, Id give him a 3 year deal to see if he could sustain those results.
You know he is already on the staff, correct? Why would he not improve things now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
Because he is an assistant. Dont know if youve ever been involved with coaching, but coaches have big egos and dont let their assistants make too many decisions.
So, what, are Henson and Sutton allowed in practice? Are they allowed to talk? They can have no impact as assistants?

I believe they are working hard to help. Maybe boynton is trying somethings his way but they are involved and if they are good coaches, which I believe that they are, they will continue to try and help. Providing Boynton and players criticism without causing resentment.

Firing boynton right now is absolutely the worst thing that could be done.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
So, what, are Henson and Sutton allowed in practice? Are they allowed to talk? They can have no impact as assistants?

I believe they are working hard to help. Maybe boynton is trying somethings his way but they are involved and if they are good coaches, which I believe that they are, they will continue to try and help. Providing Boynton and players criticism without causing resentment.

Firing boynton right now is absolutely the worst thing that could be done.

I disagree. Keeping Boynton another 2-3 years like some are suggesting is the worst thing that can be done. Will just continue to see bad basketball being played and will just have to wait that much longer to see a change with momentum behind it.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I disagree. Keeping Boynton another 2-3 years like some are suggesting is the worst thing that can be done. Will just continue to see bad basketball being played and will just have to wait that much longer to see a change with momentum behind it.
That's a bit of a strawman. I don't see anyone pushing for three years and assuming you mean two years after this, no one is arguing for that without results next year. Basically everyone who is advocating more time is saying one more year and partially because Cunningham is a potentially program changing recruit and he comes with other solid pieces. If he doesn't produce large results (minimum sweet 16) with Cade, then it's time to let him go.

The two years before Boynton got the job (including with Underwood leading recruiting), we ranked outside the top 50 in recruiting. The year before that, we ranked 31 with Jawun Evans as our top recruit. Now, Boynton contributed his own low ranking class his first year as HC, but he has pulled in two top 25 classes in a row (and that "bad" class brought us Ice). They're our first top 25 classes since 2009, at least according to 247. Unless things really go off the rails or we find out there are more allegations, his recruiting saves him for another year. (Also, someone incorrectly stated we're under investigation, when we have already received the NOA and are waiting to hear the punishment)

Oct 30, 2007
That's a bit of a strawman. I don't see anyone pushing for three years and assuming you mean two years after this, no one is arguing for that without results next year. Basically everyone who is advocating more time is saying one more year and partially because Cunningham is a potentially program changing recruit and he comes with other solid pieces. If he doesn't produce large results (minimum sweet 16) with Cade, then it's time to let him go.

The two years before Boynton got the job (including with Underwood leading recruiting), we ranked outside the top 50 in recruiting. The year before that, we ranked 31 with Jawun Evans as our top recruit. Now, Boynton contributed his own low ranking class his first year as HC, but he has pulled in two top 25 classes in a row (and that "bad" class brought us Ice). They're our first top 25 classes since 2009, at least according to 247. Unless things really go off the rails or we find out there are more allegations, his recruiting saves him for another year. (Also, someone incorrectly stated we're under investigation, when we have already received the NOA and are waiting to hear the punishment)
Thank you, top 10 recruiting class is the definition of momentum.

Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
I think most people get that, but wonder what'll happen with all the "momentum."
"Momentum" = NCAA jail along with the likes of KU, etc. with "lack of institutional control" being at the forefront of the issues cited. When the ban hammer falls, recruiting beyond the 2-star level will end, the music will stop, and the Jack-a-Treys will not have a place to sit for anything like pre-season NIT or holiday tournament trips. Here comes the Big-12 basement, the guaranteed W for opponents, and black-out curtains for the upper deck at GIA. The bad thing is that it all could have been handled by enduring one year of pain when the recruiting scandal first broke by clean-sweeping the entire basketball staff.

I know I'm about to get down-voted and lots of opposing comment. I'm ready for that and the question remains is if the sunshine, unicorns, and rainbows crowd is ready for the sad reality that looms despite their denial.

Aug 7, 2006
Because he is an assistant. Dont know if youve ever been involved with coaching, but coaches have big egos and dont let their assistants make too many decisions.
Ultimately it's up to the head coach to make the decision, but they surround themselves with assistants they trust and listen to.

Aug 7, 2006
"Momentum" = NCAA jail along with the likes of KU, etc. with "lack of institutional control" being at the forefront of the issues cited. When the ban hammer falls, recruiting beyond the 2-star level will end, the music will stop, and the Jack-a-Treys will not have a place to sit for anything like pre-season NIT or holiday tournament trips. Here comes the Big-12 basement, the guaranteed W for opponents, and black-out curtains for the upper deck at GIA. The bad thing is that it all could have been handled by enduring one year of pain when the recruiting scandal first broke by clean-sweeping the entire basketball staff.

I know I'm about to get down-voted and lots of opposing comment. I'm ready for that and the question remains is if the sunshine, unicorns, and rainbows crowd is ready for the sad reality that looms despite their denial.
We aren't going to NCAA jail. The situation was handled about as well as it could have been by the university and it's completely different than what is happening at Kansas.

Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
We aren't going to NCAA jail. The situation was handled about as well as it could have been by the university and it's completely different than what is happening at Kansas.
You may be correct and that would make ESPN wrong as they keep citing both schools (and others) in reports about the broader scandal. The NCAA is not known as an especially discerning authority in such matters, preferring to ensure all parties get splattered with their broad brush to some degree. Think I'll just hide and watch to see if history repeats or not...

Aug 7, 2006
You may be correct and that would make ESPN wrong as they keep citing both schools (and others) in reports about the broader scandal. The NCAA is not known as an especially discerning authority in such matters, preferring to ensure all parties get splattered with their broad brush to some degree. Think I'll just hide and watch to see if history repeats or not...
They're only related because it's all part of the FBI investigation. We had an assistant coach taking bribes to steer players to certain agents. Kansas, and Bill Self specifically, is alleged to have knowingly worked with Adidas and agents to pay players to go to KU. Quite a bit different situation than what we're in. Also, the NCAA has already sent it's letter of allegations. We've been hit with one level one violation, which is silly, but I don't think we'll see much happen outside of losing a scholarship or two.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
They're only related because it's all part of the FBI investigation. We had an assistant coach taking bribes to steer players to certain agents. Kansas, and Bill Self specifically, is alleged to have knowingly worked with Adidas and agents to pay players to go to KU. Quite a bit different situation than what we're in. Also, the NCAA has already sent it's letter of allegations. We've been hit with one level one violation, which is silly, but I don't think we'll see much happen outside of losing a scholarship or two.
Exactly, we already have the NOA for things related to all evidence in the FBI probe. As you mention, it only highlights what the already fired assistant did and not anyone else on staff. We are just waiting to find out the punishment. We have no other known investigation underway and no other allegations. If the NCAA does notify us of another investigation or we hear reports of other allegations, that would obviously change things.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
For what its worth I watched KU vs OU last night and OU looked to run the same offense we did. Five guys setting bunch of screens around the 3 point line and then jack up a shot. As they continued to miss the game slowly slipped away, much like ours do.