Time for BB coaching change should be about 3-4 weeks!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Do people really think that Doug Gottlieb doesn't have the coaching skills to finish last in the Big 12 for a few years?!
My comment in post #577 was intended to be tongue in cheek. I actually think DG would have success here, and would support him being hired if Boynton can't put it together. I also think that ship has sailed, and he won't ever coach here without going into coaching to develop his resume.

Sep 23, 2010
The reality is Boynton is here next year. What kind of year does he have to have to keep his job? What kind of year warrants him to be fired? It's definitely a make or break year for him.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
The reality is Boynton is here next year. What kind of year does he have to have to keep his job? What kind of year warrants him to be fired? It's definitely a make or break year for him.
If we tank with Cade and with all the returning players with college experience that's the end of the rope for me.

If we have a great season, but it is obviously due only or mostly to Cade then I think he is still on the hot seat the next season.

There is alot of grey area in there for me as well. I really need to see some development on Boynton's offensive game planning to have renewed confidence. Execution is on the players, but alot of what we have seen this season has largely been on the scheme and play design, and that's coaching.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
20 wins and a ticket to the dance. If he falls short then time to move on.
Finishes 5th in conference and loses first round of NCAA. Is he still gone? I think he might be.

If he finishes in top 3 or 4, and makes it past the first round I think he's ok.

Sep 23, 2010
Finishes 5th in conference and loses first round of NCAA. Is he still gone? I think he might be.

If he finishes in top 3 or 4, and makes it past the first round I think he's ok.
I really like Coach Boynton, but I think he has to produce next year at areasonably high level. If Ice never gets sick, maybe we win 8-9 conference games and it gets him a little more rope. But this season has really put the pressure on next year I think.

And Cunningham gives us no guarantee for high level of success. Look at Georgia with Anthony Edwards. Look at Ben Simmons at LSU (they had other pros too). Look at Trae Young's freshmen year.

Oct 30, 2007
It probably depends on the overall direction of the program. How does he fill out the rest of this class? Does he land another McDonald's AA in the next class? How are his younger players developing? Do we have better roster retention?

I could see him getting a 5th year without a tournament win if the program seems to be trending up. There are too many unknown factors to make a prediction right now.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...patience-with-coaches-nba-awards-league-races

Eric Bossi and Corey Evans both say we should keep the faith

1. Which program needs to keep the faith in their head coach despite a somewhat down season?
Bossi: I will go with Oklahoma State. Yes, 2020’s No. 1 ranked player

Cade Cunningham
is on the way next season, but I don’t want this to be about just recruiting. I also know that the Cowboys have struggled this year having won just two Big 12 games heading into the weekend. But, I’m still a believer in head coach Mike Boynton and his ability to build a strong program. He’s a motivator and relationship builder who I feel will ultimately prove any naysayers about his coaching ability wrong.

Evans: It has been tough sledding for Oklahoma State. The Pokes kicked off the season with seven straight wins, saw their top player,

Isaac Likekele
, sidelined due to an illness and ever since, has practically fallen off the cliff. They have shown signs of late in recent weeks, which says they haven’t quite on Boynton. They are not as bad as what their record would indicate, but next year should be much different. If there is going to be a transcendent freshman in 2020-2021 season, it could be Cunningham. He is someone that just finds a way to raise the talent around him, which there should be a good supply of, giving reason for optimism moving ahead in the Big 12

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Much much better coaching these last 4 games. Love seeing the focus on getting higher % shots. Substituting more effectively and using time outs in the right moments in games. Way to go coach. Keep it up!!! Time to retire this thread.

Dec 9, 2013
Much much better coaching these last 4 games. Love seeing the focus on getting higher % shots. Substituting more effectively and using time outs in the right moments in games. Way to go coach. Keep it up!!! Time to retire this thread.
I’ve been critical of coaching this year. But credit to Boynton & staff for getting a rotation, shortening it, getting away from that eff’n zone & getting more flow to the offense. They saw things were wrong, kept the team engaged and changed up some things.

Oct 30, 2007
It should never have been started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk