Time for BB coaching change should be about 3-4 weeks!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Other than adding talent through recruiting, what leads you to think that we're headed in the right direction? Just curious, not looking for an argument.
You can only run an offense your players are capable of executing. Have said it several times, OSU lacks an outside-inside guy. Every player that sees significant PT is either a perimeter guy or an inside guy. We have only one guy with the ball handling skill to work outside-in and for whatever reason, he has stopped shooting from the outside.

All successful OSU teams have had at least one guy on the floor who could do that. Evans, Smart, Anderson, Curry, Peterson, etc. We do not have that guy right now. So we are limited to running the inane perimeter weave in hopes that someone on D falls asleep. Not just us. Watch other teams with limited talent and you see the same thing. The other option is to run like it was a playground but we do not have the players to do that either. We do not have guys like Mason who could ditch a defender while wrapping around three other defenders to get open. We are slow and very easy to defend.

Nov 14, 2010
I get the opinion part, but I struggle to understand why this opinion even exists. The BDH contingent only offers speculation and whatifs, but no tangible, proven reasons why it would benefit the program. I believe you are a coach if I recall correctly. If you were an AD, would you hand over your team to the guy in the broadcast booth just because he used to go to school there and had a smattering of short-term coaching gigs with no real responsibility for recruitment or player development?

We are not UNC, Duke, etc. Sutton or those like him are not coming here....ever (again).
As you said ....

We aren't getting Sutton or anyone like him

So.....at that point, the long term needs to be the consideration when hiring

If I felt like a candidate checked every box, except experience, I wouldn't hesitate hiring that guy.

Because, if that guy checks all the boxes, then gains experience, you have a long term solution.

Especially if I knew I could put experienced guys around him to fill in the experience gap until that coach gained experience.

Experience is the 1 thing that a coach will gain.

Possessing the skills to be the right fit at OSU or to be a good head coach is not neccessarily somethimg that can be acquired like experience will be.

I have been everything from a Jr High assistant to a Head Varsity coach in multiple sports, and I have done a lot of broadcasting as well.

I have coached, played and broadcasted in several State Championships and I believe a coach either has leadership skills or they don't.

Some people figure out a way to win and be successful, others don't.

I personally think Gottlieb checked every box for OSU in those regards, other than experience, to be the long term solution for OSU basketball.

And....he isn't just some guy that went to OSU.

He is a guy that grew up in a coaching family and has been around Division 1 coaching his entire life

His dad won over 100 games as a Division 1 head coach and his brother is the longest tenured assistant coach in the Pac 12.

This is the strategy we took with Boynton anyways.

I think the biggest issue Boynton is having now is he is still trying to have an assistant coach approach to his relationships with the players.

So.....there is no hammer.

Last edited:

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
Eh, simply an opinion built on "hope" & "think(ing) he's a good young coach..." "Think he'll get better..."

I hope you're right, but you could pretty much say all of the same things about Gottlieb.
Actually, no. Doug has not coached. Ever. He talks for a living. He has never coached. Ever. At any level.

Aug 16, 2012
Actually, no. Doug has not coached. Ever. He talks for a living. He has never coached. Ever. At any level.
You are going to be surprised with this reply coming from me, but he does have a handful of things to his credit. Three one-off gigs for tournament teams and two assistant stints while a grad student.

I said I was done....sheesh.

Feb 18, 2009
I am not happy with where our program is or the direction it's going in. But to complain about HCMB and say the replacement is another guy who has never coached at D1 is not the answer.

Aug 16, 2012
As you said ....

We aren't getting Sutton or anyone like him

So.....at that point, the long term needs to be the consideration when hiring

If I felt like a candidate checked every box, except experience, I wouldn't hesitate hiring that guy.

Because, if that guy checks all the boxes, then gains experience, you have a long term solution.

Especially if I knew I could put experienced guys around him to fill in the experience gap until that coach gained experience.

Experience is the 1 thing that a coach will gain.

Possessing the skills to be the right fit at OSU or to be a good head coach is not neccessarily somethimg that can be acquired like experience will be.

I personally think Gottlieb checked every box, other than experience, to be the long term solution for OSU basketball.

And....he isn't just some guy that went to OSU.

He is a guy that grew up in a coaching family and has been around Division 1 coaching his entire life

His dad won over 100 games as a Division 1 head coach and his brother is the longest tenured assistant coach in the Pac 12.

This is the strategy we took with Boynton anyways.
I do not feel he would be a long term solution though. He jumps from network to network but admittedly, I do not follow his career enough to know if it is money, ratings, whatever, and the most telling to me, if he were into coaching long-term, he would be in coaching already. IMO, what his dad/brother have done are irrelevant and I think you place to much emphasis on "been around coaching". Yes, he has been coached, but from the time I was 5 until 28, I had teachers/instructor harping on me about one topic or another. Does not qualify me to teach. I have been around engineers my entire 30-year professional career as an architect. Work with them hand-in-hand every day. I have to know what they do, how they do it and be able to direct their efforts so our creation comes to life. Does not make me an engineer.

Nov 14, 2010
I do not feel he would be a long term solution though. He jumps from network to network but admittedly, I do not follow his career enough to know if it is money, ratings, whatever, and the most telling to me, if he were into coaching long-term, he would be in coaching already. IMO, what his dad/brother have done are irrelevant and I think you place to much emphasis on "been around coaching". Yes, he has been coached, but from the time I was 5 until 28, I had teachers/instructor harping on me about one topic or another. Does not qualify me to teach. I have been around engineers my entire 30-year professional career as an architect. Work with them hand-in-hand every day. I have to know what they do, how they do it and be able to direct their efforts so our creation comes to life. Does not make me an engineer.
I unserstand your viewpoint on Gottlieb

It is a far fetched idea

I would have much preferred we bring in an experienced coach

But.....
We didn't come close to doing that, and, as you said, were not Duke.

I think there are certain qualities great leaders possess.

So...if you're going to take a chance, like we did with Boynton, I wouldn't hesitate taking a chance on a guy that possesses all the leadership skills needed to succeed.

Especially if that guy was extremely attached to your program.

If they have those qualities, they are going to be successful no matter the sport

They will learn the X's and O's

Last edited:

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
Listen. You can't fire Boynton as long as Holder is AD. Yall really wanna give him a chance to bury our basketball program even further? Let's revisit this the day after Holder announces his retirement

Sep 24, 2011
This is all so sad. I may not live to see OSU relevant in basketball again. It used to be so much fun. Now, my care-o-meter is at times near zero.

Nov 14, 2010
Gottlieb grew up as coaching being the family business.

His brother entered into that business and helped run that same business at a different location.

Then.....Gottlieb covered that business by analyzing it.

If he wanted to get back into that family business with his brother, and step in and run that business, there would be a lot of familiarity.

Apr 27, 2006
Gottlieb grew up as coaching being the family business.

His brother entered into that business and helped run that same business at a different location.

Then.....Gottlieb covered that business by analyzing it.

If he wanted to get back into that family business with his brother, and step in and run that business, there would be a lot of familiarity.
All the above may be true but he was not and is not the answer. No more experiments and trying to get by on the cheap. Next time around is nut cutting time. Invest or close it down.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Gottlieb may not be the answer, but he's at least an option in a multiple choice question.

If Holder doesnt take action now, he definitely better at end of season when coaches are on the market. This experiment is a disaster.

Nov 14, 2010
All the above may be true but he was not and is not the answer. No more experiments and trying to get by on the cheap. Next time around is nut cutting time. Invest or close it down.
I've already said I would rather have gone with an experienced, proven winning coach when we hired Boynton.

Wouldn't everyone prefer a proven winner?

Having said that

Which proven coach who is a proven winner as head coach at this level do you think would take this job?

If we remove Boynton, we would be hiring our 4th coach in 5 years and have a fan base that doesn't go to games.

Would someone with proven success at a mid major want to come here and fight football beyond the issues we have with our basketball program?

Or....would be hire a Bruce Webber type coach that has head coaching exoerience at a Power 5 level?

Last edited: