Thurman Thomas - Days of awesomeness

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I think he carried us past WV in the Sun bowl.

Time for cool story bro:

A friend was in the mountains of Colorado the day of the Sun bowl. He couldn't stand to miss it so he drove around until he saw a house with one of those old school tv dishes outside. He knocked on the door like rainman about to miss The People's Court and explained he really wanted to watch the game.

The people invited him in and started getting into the game with him. Mom popped popcorn as they all watched. By the end, when we scored late to win, the family was all jumping up and down like true Cowboy fans. He still stays in touch with them occasionally just to thank them.

Nov 8, 2013

Time for cool story bro:

A friend was in the mountains of Colorado the day of the Sun bowl. He couldn't stand to miss it so he drove around until he saw a house with one of those old school tv dishes outside. He knocked on the door like rainman about to miss The People's Court and explained he really wanted to watch the game.

The people invited him in and started getting into the game with him. Mom popped popcorn as they all watched. By the end, when we scored late to win, the family was all jumping up and down like true Cowboy fans. He still stays in touch with them occasionally just to thank them.
Great story!

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
CC was correct - Sun Bowl turned into the Snow Bowl. I was there and also at the Ice Bowl in Stilly. The Sun/Snow bowl started out great weather, lots of spectators in shorts and T's. Then the front hit. I had a sweat shirt in hand - that was it. Was very cold, they were using newly bought push broom to scrape the yard line marks and out of bounds

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I saw a replay of it a couple of years back. Thurman killed them and Barry was a little non-descript in his performance.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
What was the game in the snow? Also, this guy sort of kept Sanders on the bench.
I've posted this before, but: we were at one of the home games Thurman's senior season, sitting with my then osu student nephew. Pregame I was raving about Thurman's skills and my nephew kept talking about his backup, how awesome he was and how he thought the kid was as good as Thurman. All I remember Barry playing was returning a couple kickoffs for decent yardage, making some guys miss but nothing spectacular. After the second or third time I told him "This kid will never make it big, he spends too much time juking and jiving and running side to side. He's got to learn to run more straight ahead." I still don't understand how I'm not an NFL GM.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I've posted this before, but: we were at one of the home games Thurman's senior season, sitting with my then osu student nephew. Pregame I was raving about Thurman's skills and my nephew kept talking about his backup, how awesome he was and how he thought the kid was as good as Thurman. All I remember Barry playing was returning a couple kickoffs for decent yardage, making some guys miss but nothing spectacular. After the second or third time I told him "This kid will never make it big, he spends too much time juking and jiving and running side to side. He's got to learn to run more straight ahead." I still don't understand how I'm not an NFL GM.
That's alright I said that stupid Star Wars movie I saw the preview for would flop.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

Time for cool story bro:

Probably because of the whole social isolation gig we got going right now but I love this story so much! Pretty cool that they still keep in touch!

So I know for a fact that I went to a few games before this but the first game I ever clearly remember watching oSu play in football was that Sun Bowl game in 1987. I remember my family really getting into it, that it was snowing or sleeting outside and that the WVU helmet logo reminded me of the what-a-burger sign (strange the things you remember). I remember my interest was peaked at that point.

The next season I saw Barry run live against TU and OU. I was an oSu fan by more than default from that point on.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
We had 2 great TBs on the team. Just play the older senior to market him to the NFL, ...and rested to get the younger sophomore hungry, work harder and be more than ready for the next coming year 1988.

Jan 8, 2009
Plano
I watched ESPN's a football life I think it was called about Thurman.. Had forgotten a lot of his history. He is one neat great competitive guy.

Anyone else see that episode about hin?