This is what happens...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
A lot of teams are. Things change. OU’s climbing back up there as we speak though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, exactly 10 teams are ranked in the preseason AP top 10. I do take your point that OU looks to be building to a stronger team the next couple years, but there were still plenty of national pundits picking OU to win the conference and be right in the thick of the playoff race. The funny thing is, you’re probably playing better football right now than all but maybe a couple teams, but a shitty Oregon team is in great shape to make the playoff despite being a clown show.

Jan 17, 2011
Which clown, Gundy or Holder
Both. I have been a Gundy defender until last night. Now, after watching us run out the clock until halftime and punting on 4th down when we are down in the 4th, it’s time for a change.

my fear is we let Gundy go, or Gundy decides to retire, and holder gets to pick some no talent a** clown who he can get cheap and they won junior college division 2a regionals, but they ate pinto beans and cornbread at Holders house and “aw shucks, he just had a great way about him”.

Holder needs to move on too. He did great building the athletic village, now it’s time to sail off to karsten creek and enjoy leisure...

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You’re one of those Pokes that needs therapy.

Have a civil conversation.

It’s really not difficult.

Here's a civil conversation.
Do you think that college football will ever seek to REALLY level the playing field between blue bloods like ou and non-Blue Bloods but good programs like Oklahoma State and many others who flounder on the edge but see no way to achieve that due to many factors like history, money, fanbase, status and recruiting because of those things?

Do you ever think that attempts at leveling the playing field will restrict numbers of 5 star recruits to blue bloods or create a mandatory EQUAL distribution of highly rated five star recruits like the nfl attempts, equal distribution of conference TV and bowl money as we become more and more like an nfl junior.. IF that was to happen, how do you see that playing out?

My guess is that you, being a blue blood team fan, don't want the kind of change that would bring more equality and equity to the college game, even thought it would actually bring more excitement across the board for more teams.

Do you take pride in a system you didn't have anything to do with creating and one that is unfairly biased against teams wanting to break into that old school system? OR do you,, like so many others, just mindlessly root for a team because they win and you are a @TypicalGooner ;-)...never attending ou?

Last edited:

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
A lot of teams are. Things change. OU’s climbing back up there as we speak though.

Well, exactly 10 teams are ranked in the preseason AP top 10. I do take your point that OU looks to be building to a stronger team the next couple years, but there were still plenty of national pundits picking OU to win the conference and be right in the thick of the playoff race. The funny thing is, you’re probably playing better football right now than all but maybe a couple teams, but a shitty Oregon team is in great shape to make the playoff despite being a clown show.
I’ll take a year out of the playoff limelight. They haven’t been ready for a playoff game in the last two years and got blown out both years. Everybody knows OU won’t be a legitimate title threat until they get a defense. They might have pieced something together in 2015 and 2017, but that didn’t happen. Looks like that’s finally happened, the recruiting and depth keeps building. We were extremely short handed in the secondary last night, but it didn’t feel like it.

This conference desperately needs some strength and I’m rooting for you guys to step up. I’d gladly take the Pokes as a strong conference opponent outside of Texas any day of the week. But that’s never gonna happen under Gundy. I hope you guys make a good change soon.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
FACT: They have won 2 times in Gundy's tenure so 2-14...same as Gundy.
OU is 76-2-7 vs ISU over history
From 1991 to 2016 they won ZERO games vs ou.

Btw, I like their coach and he would make a good replacement if we could get him...but I doubt very seriously he would just jump to another non-blue blood school when he's done basically what Gundy has with an under performer. Btw, Gundy is 4-1 vs Matt Campbell

Jan 17, 2011
FACT: They have won 2 times in Gundy's tenure so 2-14...same as Gundy.
OU is 76-2-7 vs ISU over history
From 1991 to 2016 they won ZERO games vs ou.

Btw, I like their coach and he would make a good replacement if we could get him...but I doubt very seriously he would just jump to another non-blue blood school when he's done basically what Gundy has with an under performer. Btw, Gundy is 4-1 vs Matt Campbell
good point, but Iowa state has beat OU more than we have in the past 4 years since Campbell took over...

my comparison is coaches. They are on two different trajectories, one with a fire in his belly to win and motivate, and another who seems to just cash it in/a game is a game/why even try mentality.

and I don’t know why when we play OU-literally EVERY TIME-we go into our shells and play so freaking conservative. Every. Freaking. Time. We don’t do this with any other team, except ou. It’s like watching waterboy and coach Klein against coach red every year.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
good point, but Iowa state has beat OU more than we have in the past 4 years since Campbell took over...

my comparison is coaches. They are on two different trajectories, one with a fire in his belly to win and motivate, and another who seems to just cash it in/a game is a game/why even try mentality.

and I don’t know why when we play OU-literally EVERY TIME-we go into our shells and play so freaking conservative. Every. Freaking. Time. We don’t do this with any other team, except ou. It’s like watching waterboy and coach Klein against coach red every year.
I know it doesn't help...but Gundy is 4-1 vs the coach you like (I like him too)...and, yep, I agree...but so does nearly everyone else who isn't basically overlooked by the sooners. The ISU recent success won't last any longer than ours did vs them. IF it does then we can talk about a trend...

Aug 23, 2010
I know it doesn't help...but Gundy is 4-1 vs the coach you like (I like him too)...and, yep, I agree...but so does nearly everyone else who isn't basically overlooked by the sooners. The ISU recent success won't last any longer than ours did vs them. IF it does then we can talk about a trend...
Agree completely with that

Nov 6, 2010
We all are pissed that we didn't even compete last night, but let's face it, this team was not a contender the minute we lost Galloway, Farrell and Bray before the season started. We're basically down to third string Oline now, and you're not going to compete against a team full of 4 star talent with an Oline made of walk ons and freshmen.

Having said that, the 4th down punt at that point in the game is simply inexcusable. I honestly don't believe there is another coach in the country that would have made that decision. The defense was at least competing at that point in the game, and as soon as we made that call, it was the white flag for the whole team.

I tend to agree with other posters that say we have peaked under Gundy. I'm confident we will never sniff another conference championship with him at the helm, and it boils down to recruiting more so even than the total lack of emotion and creativity. If we're going to play his style, we need OU talent. When we wrap up this year's recruiting class, we won't have a single kid that OU even wanted. Let that soak in.

Apr 7, 2006
Do you think that college football will ever seek to REALLY level the playing field between blue bloods like ou and non-Blue Bloods but good programs like Oklahoma State and many others who flounder on the edge but see no way to achieve that due to many factors like history, money, fanbase, status and recruiting because of those things?

Do you ever think that attempts at leveling the playing field will restrict numbers of 5 star recruits to blue bloods or create a mandatory EQUAL distribution of highly rated five star recruits like the nfl attempts, equal distribution of conference TV and bowl money as we become more and more like an nfl junior.. IF that was to happen, how do you see that playing out?

My guess is that you, being a blue blood team fan, don't want the kind of change that would bring more equality and equity to the college game, even thought it would actually bring more excitement across the board for more teams.

Do you take pride in a system you didn't have anything to do with creating and one that is unfairly biased against teams wanting to break into that old school system? OR do you,, like so many others, just mindlessly root for a team because they win and you are a @TypicalGooner ;-)...never attending ou?
I've often toyed with a few different ideas that I think would generate parity in the long term:

1) Eliminate the playoff committee (too much bias/political connections)

2) Expand the playoffs to 8 or 16 teams. Overtime you'd see a little more expoaure and upsets changing the teams at the top.

3) Institute a budget/salary cap. That would narrow the advantage between the blue bloods and the smaller budget programs.

Aug 16, 2012

You do remember that we beat Alabama less than 20 years ago and about the same time, Clemson was a middle of the pack team as well? They hired big, spent big and recruited well. We cannot match the overall spending, but it is a relatively small step from a Gundy salary to the top...much bigger than an entry-level salary to where he is now. Despite no longer being the Belle of the ball, BPS and the facilities are nothing to sneeze at.

I would never want any rules about purported "balancing" of recruits. Every kid should have the ability to go to whatever school they want. We need to figure out what it takes to get better kids to BPS. If we can get one, two should be possible. If two, then the third and before long.... IMO Gundy dropped the ball in 2009-2013 by not capitalizing on the rise. That was the opportunity to take OSU to the next step. Now we have to start over further away from the goal.