This is Our Time

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Today's episode was filmed last Saturday and is the best yet. I'm expecting huge things out of this veteran well coached Oklahoma State football team. Lots of reminders of the upsets last week because they watched them in the locker room.
Go Pokes!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yea, I think getting to watch what happened last week is a big advantage.
Watched a lot of the ISU & Kstate games. My big takeaway is the obvious lack of crowds & that the games almost felt like neutral site games with no fans. I think we'll see a fair amount of road teams winning games that they otherwise would not.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
Has anyone noticed that sooner sports apparently has produced their own version? I think it starts when they actually made it to campus, but who knows, they could have been filming anyway just in hopes that they would have something like this or just to document the season in general. But I guarantee you they didn't make the decision on this until after they knew we were getting a documentary.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The next episode dropped this am.

A couple things...

Our staff, Gundy, and players cuss a lot more than I realized...I guess I've been living under a rock, but when did it become acceptable to drop the F bomb every other word? Like I said, it's just not a part of my daily life, so it seems over the top to me. It's not the end of the word, I just miss the old days when it wasn't as widely acceptable a part of the language to be overtly crude.

Illingworth is a feel good story and much of the end was about him and his journey. Scene with his Mom and family was heartwarming and pretty cool.

Also, Spenser Sanders seems to be genuine and good leader in his own right. He was waiting to congratulate the team when they returned to the locker room and really was cheering them on as they started to do better. That was good to see.

Feb 18, 2009
In post game thread by @RxCowboy I said it would be interesting to know which coach made the call at QB. This video doesn’t help. :D

I hear HCMG two ways:

1) Guys, do we need to do this to win?
2) Are you guys really sure you have/want to put him in?

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I've found the F-bomb to be a group mentality thing.

Personally, when I'm in the Engineering office, never hear it, never use it.
When I get into the job site . . . it just comes out along with everyone else w/o giving it a second thought.

So I think the coaching staff and players would have to want to change the mentality of using or not.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
In post game thread by @RxCowboy I said it would be interesting to know which coach made the call at QB. This video doesn’t help. :D

I hear HCMG two ways:

1) Guys, do we need to do this to win?
2) Are you guys really sure you have/want to put him in?

I took it as "put in #16" but saying it in a way that they are discussing rather than an order.
If so, nice approach. I use that all the time with my team to get consensus of doing it my way !

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama

A couple things...

Our staff, Gundy, and players cuss a lot more than I realized...I guess I've been living under a rock, but when did it become acceptable to drop the F bomb every other word? Like I said, it's just not a part of my daily life, so it seems over the top to me. It's not the end of the word, I just miss the old days when it wasn't as widely acceptable a part of the language to be overtly crude.

Illingworth is a feel good story and much of the end was about him and his journey. Scene with his Mom and family was heartwarming and pretty cool.

Also, Spenser Sanders seems to be genuine and good leader in his own right. He was waiting to congratulate the team when they returned to the locker room and really was cheering them on as they started to do better. That was good to see.
Oh yeah, seeing Spencer get interviewed since he was in high school, he always seemed like an intelligent guy with integrity.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Just started watching this series last night. Here are some of my takeaways through 6 episodes.

1. My perception of the Chuba tweet / OAN shirt was WAY overblown (probably because I was reading this forum). I was pretty pissed at both Chuba and Gundy for the way they (seemingly) handled the situation at the time, but after watching their approaches and responses on the documentary, it almost seemed like a tiny bump in the road for both of them, then they moved on. I was impressed by BOTH of their responses, and it completely changed my view of that situation. In fact, our players/staff were proactive in navigating the situation, and it was presented exactly the opposite by the media. Biggest takeaway for me was just how badly the media creates twisted narratives to make money.
2. I'm proud of our program. We seem to really do things the right way.
3. Gundy is actually more good ol' boy than I thought, and that's saying a lot.
4. Gundy has a little more humility than I perceive from the outside.
5. He's also way more "safe" than people give him credit for. People always talk about him being a "gunslinger" or some kind of maverick, but he reiterates time and again in the documentary that they're going to be consistent, simple, and stable in their approach. He says there's security in keeping it simple. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this, and it really sheds light on one of the biggest topics on this board, which is Gundy's conservative approach in games. He's legitimately risk averse, which is concerning and validates what a lot of us have complained about over the years.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

A couple things...

If you think Our Time is bad, don't watch Last Chance U. Maybe there's more cussing in the next few episodes, but so far the series has been like a children's sunday school class compared to Last Chance U.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If you think Our Time is bad, don't watch Last Chance U. Maybe there's more cussing in the next few episodes, but so far the series has been like a children's sunday school class compared to Last Chance U.
Didn't see last chance U. The last episode or Our Time was pretty good and I do think the show is able to at least unveil the workings of the football program in a weird time. That's a neat back of the house deal at least for OSU fans. I'm not sure it would have wide appeal to folks who aren't "invested" in our program.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Just started watching this series last night. Here are some of my takeaways through 6 episodes.

1. My perception of the Chuba tweet / OAN shirt were WAY overblown (probably because I was reading this forum). I was pretty pissed at both Chuba and Gundy for the way they (seemingly) handled the situation at the time, but after watching their approaches and responses on the documentary, it almost seemed like a tiny bump in the road for both of them, then they moved on. I was impressed by BOTH of their responses, and it completely changed my view of that situation.
5. He's also way more "safe" than people give him credit for. People always talk about him being a "gunslinger" or some kind of maverick, but he reiterates time and again in the documentary that they're going to be consistent, simple, and stable in their approach. He says there's security in keeping it simple. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this, and it really sheds light on one of the biggest topics on this board, which is Gundy's conservative approach in games. He's legitimately risk averse, which is concerning and validates what a lot of us have complained about over the years.
I'll have to watch it.

Publicly putting Gundy on blast was anything but 'overblown.'

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

1. My perception of the Chuba tweet / OAN shirt were WAY overblown (probably because I was reading this forum). I was pretty pissed at both Chuba and Gundy for the way they (seemingly) handled the situation at the time, but after watching their approaches and responses on the documentary, it almost seemed like a tiny bump in the road for both of them, then they moved on. I was impressed by BOTH of their responses, and it completely changed my view of that situation.
Great post. I wish more people would watch who had your perceptions prior to watching it. Sort of "knowing" Gundy, I knew this about him already, but many of our "fans," especially the younger ones, have the wrong ideas about him. While certainly a Boomer in his ways, he's a players coach...always has been.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'll have to watch it.

Publicly putting Gundy on blast was anything but 'overblown.'
It was overblown...by our player...AND by a media type who baited our player...and then the peace was made quickly and well between both player, coach and Administration. I actually think the tough road they had on Saturday will enable the staff to make them better players. Listen to the post game locker room speech by HCMG about allowing themselves to be coached. I like that phrase because it implies that the player is still in control because he's "allowing himself to be coached." That's really a good way to use the English language and a good way for independent minded athletes of today to think about it. "Hey, I'm still in control...I'm just allowing this expert to help me improve."

Honestly, HCMG is a master at this...he just fell out of players favor briefly and that "incident" wasn't a bad thing because everyone internally handled it will class. HCMG apologized for being out of touch with the players and the players made peace with him. He even took a self recommended pay cut.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Great post. I wish more people would watch who had your perceptions prior to watching it. Sort of "knowing" Gundy, I knew this about him already, but many of our "fans," especially the younger ones, have the wrong ideas about him. While certainly a Boomer in his ways, he's a players coach...always has been.
Two other things really impressed me about Gundy. He was very calm the whole time, and it was super fascinating how (seemingly) easy and natural it was for him to admit that the kids were in control; not only with the social justice stuff, but also with the "we want to play" topic. In fact, he was encouraging their voices being heard in both arenas, which runs counter to what the media and people on this board were saying about him being a racist, tone deaf POS. He definitely didn't come across that way in the show, and it never seemed like Chuba or any players ever implied that. Just shows exactly how much the media overhypes things to get clicks.

As I've said all along - I have nothing against Gundy as a program manager / CEO. I just hate his conservatism on gameday. This documentary is shedding light on both of those things.