The Witcher

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
Banned
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Anyone else seen this yet? Was a big fan of the games (Witcher 3 is easily the best game of all time). This TV series was a pleasant surprise as I wasnt sure how I was going to like it, but it was actually really good. It was a bit meh in terms of the script and pacing in some parts, but for a first season of what is to be many, it was a great start. Henry Cavill was damn near perfect in his role as Geralt and the girl playing Yen had me glued to the screen during her parts. In fact nearly every one was cast to perfection except for Triss. They seriously miscast her but oh well. It was a great start and a show I would highly recommend if you are in to high fantasy with a big budget. We now wait for 2 years until season 2. Btw this song from the show is incredible!

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
We watched the first episode last night. I liked it, my wife didn't. I'm gonna try and convince her to give it another shot so I can watch episode 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Yenifer is naked a lot.

Really enjoyed it. My only complaint (as someone who had no prior story knowledge) is that it wasn’t real clear when we were watching a flashback vs present day.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
Yenifer is naked a lot.

Really enjoyed it. My only complaint (as someone who had no prior story knowledge) is that it wasn’t real clear when we were watching a flashback vs present day.
The first season primarily pulled from the 2 books of short stories that provide events prior to the 5 novel series. The short stories jump around in time, so they likely got the idea based on how they're written.

Future seasons should be more linear as it moves into the novels.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
The first season primarily pulled from the 2 books of short stories that provide events prior to the 5 novel series. The short stories jump around in time, so they likely got the idea based on how they're written.

Future seasons should be more linear as it moves into the novels.
The jumping wouldn't have bothered me except for the fact that there was no notification saying "15 years ago" etc.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
Banned
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com
this is a freaking ear worm. i can't shake it.

EDIT: The show is pretty good, but the timeline trickery is really annoying. I don't think it adds anything to the storytelling and only serves to confuse the viewer.
Yea I agree. If I didnt already know what was going on I would be confused as well. The good thing now though, is that from here on out it is a linear story. This was like a background season for all the important characters.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Yea I agree. If I didnt already know what was going on I would be confused as well. The good thing now though, is that from here on out it is a linear story. This was like a background season for all the important characters.

Also, while I after the video game was very good, I don't think it was the best of all time.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
Banned
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com

Also, while I after the video game was very good, I don't think it was the best of all time.
I cant think of anything better though. From story, to lore, to combat, to voice acting, to OST, and graphics, it is the best imo. Nothing else can compare simply due to the scope of the game. Its massive.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
We just watched episode 3 and boy did that one have a different tone than the first two episodes... :blink: That was some Until Dawn type sh*t... lol
1578921656874.png

So, I've now figured out the the Yennifer part of the story is all years prior to the Geralt part of the story (thanks to the painting with the two kids). I'm assuming the Ciri part is the same time frame as his though?? I have absolutely zero background knowledge on this show. Never read the books, never played the game.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
I'm assuming the Ciri part is the same time frame as his though??
You know what they say about assumptions? Though seriously, you may be right. Depending upon what timeline you are referring to as "his". Geralt takes part in all the different timelines. Even after I thought I had them all straight, it turned out I was still a bit off.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
this is what i am talking about. how does the convoluted presentation of this pretty straightforward timeline help the viewer to understand the events? This was intentionally done just to screw with the viewer. I hate this crap.
I have to admit, I've been so thoroughly confused I've given up.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
We finally got to the orgy episode last night. I hadn't mentioned that tidbit to my wife. lol. It was at least a relief to have 2 of the main characters finally in the same timeline... :D