The Stock Market is gonna crash!?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I'm not an investment advisor or pretending to be one, but investing in an HSA to the max and saving medical receipts is a no-brainer as the best retirement vehicle from a tax standpoint.

I don't know of another account that allows pre-tax investment, tax-free growth, tax-free withdrawal (save medical receipts), and even if you "screw up" and save too much money for the receipts you have collected after age 65 it acts like regular IRA so no real penalty.

Fidelity recently got in the HSA game and has a really good HSA.
Wow that’s a real HSA. We had one where you guessed what you’d spend and what was leftover went to the company who regularly rejected claims.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
All crude oil centric companies are highly correlated to crude futures. All nat gas centric companies are highly correlated to nat gas futures. At $50/bbl, there’s meaningful crude price upside.

Crude oil centric companies have more absolute and near-term upside.
Nat gas centric companies (in general) have significantly less absolute and near-term upside. I don’t see major upside in nat gas prices.

I’d run from CHK, not excited about DVN, see some upside in CLR although don’t care for management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I keep thinking what T. Boone said. Gas is much cleaner and should serve as a primary fuel source while we work toward green energy.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
So, how do you find a good, strategic financial adviser? Have several decision points coming up in the next couple of years and need to start planning. I know that there are investment advisers that will help with that specifically, but the things I'm needing help with are:

1) house will be paid off in a couple of years which will free up several thousand a month. What should I do with that being 7 or so years from retirement? Could max out a tax deferred 403b, a workplace Roth, HSA or something else?
2) Defined benefit pension starts paying out in four years. And again, that will be free cash flow because I plan to be still working. What do I do with those funds? How do I evaluate survivor options in coordination with other investments, future social security options and other defined benefit pensions?

What i need is vastly different that "I have $XXXX that I need to invest". I need a road map for the next several years.
Some food for thought.

Define your objectives. Money in retirement/financial safety for family/lake home/etc.

Go to the SSA office, or online, and get a feel for how much you and your wife can expect when you start to draw a check. It will help with the survivor options decision.

Invest any extra funds. Max 403b, HSA, Roth, and taxable accounts.

Are you comfortable with setting up a brokerage account on line?

Make a cash flow analysis for retirement. Money in vs money out. It doesn't have to be perfect since you are 7 years out but, it will give you an idea of where you stand.

Use ETF's for any taxable account.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
All crude oil centric companies are highly correlated to crude futures. All nat gas centric companies are highly correlated to nat gas futures. At $50/bbl, there’s meaningful crude price upside.

Crude oil centric companies have more absolute and near-term upside.
Nat gas centric companies (in general) have significantly less absolute and near-term upside. I don’t see major upside in nat gas prices.

I’d run from CHK, not excited about DVN, see some upside in CLR although don’t care for management.

I keep thinking what T. Boone said. Gas is much cleaner and should serve as a primary fuel source while we work toward green energy.
Not bullish on nat gas as a transportation fuel. I do think nat gas for heat and power generation is here to stay. US nat gas reserves are massive, but the more wind, solar, nuclear and coal is utilized, the price of nat gas will continue to be moderate. LNG exports could prop up nat gas prices, but predicting foreign demand can be difficult.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Not bullish on nat gas as a transportation fuel. I do think nat gas for heat and power generation is here to stay. US nat gas reserves are massive, but the more wind, solar, nuclear and coal is utilized, the price of nat gas will continue to be moderate. LNG exports could prop up nat gas prices, but predicting foreign demand can be difficult.

Thanks, but I hope those coal fired plants are converted to natural gas ASAP. We seem to be increasing the amount of liquified NG exports as well. Not sure I can resist throwing a FEW bucks in though.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Thanks, but I hope those coal fired plants are converted to natural gas ASAP. We seem to be increasing the amount of liquified NG exports as well. Not sure I can resist throwing a FEW bucks in though.
You do what you want of course but generally, hope is not a good investment thesis.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Their debt and lawsuits are worrisome indeed.
FWIW, if you're wanting to play around with low dollar stocks just for the fun of it you can use something like Robinhood or Stash. I've only invested like $50 in various stock and indexes. Not really looking to make anything off of it but it's been fun watching myself earn $8 so far. lol

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
FWIW, if you're wanting to play around with low dollar stocks just for the fun of it you can use something like Robinhood or Stash. I've only invested like $50 in various stock and indexes. Not really looking to make anything off of it but it's been fun watching myself earn $8 so far. lol
It’s interesting to see these apps and in an environment where even the dredge is being dragged along by momentum it’s great. When prices start following fundamentals again these apps will be useless. As a playground they’re fine but they’re being marketed as investing and worse investing without education, a recipe for disaster, long term.