The Real Fall Camp 2019 Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Apologies for lack of updates posted here lately; but here's what we've had the past several days ---

OSU Caravan was at Tulsa's Hard Rock Hotel last night.

Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy spent his 52nd birthday surrounded by hundreds of Cowboys fans at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel Monday for his second “Night with OSU” in seven days.

Gundy, who is entering his 15th season as the OSU head coach, shared his realization that this is his 30th year of coaching and said he still feels good. Spending the last 30 years coaching and having the start of the season less than three weeks away explains why he said that Monday was just another work day for him.

He’s been answering questions about the quarterback battle all summer and he didn’t get a day off on his birthday. Gundy chatted with Senior Associate Athletic Director Larry Reece on stage for a little over 30 minutes. He was asked about a quarterback update less than 60 seconds into the conversation.

Gundy will be speaking to the media Tuesday morning after practice and he already gave a spoiler alert to his response to the anticipated questions about the quarterback position.
Photos from the event here.

Monday was also Coach Gundy's birthday. In honor of this, here's a look back at his 121 career victories as OSU's head coach.

Feature on Chuba Hubbard from Frank Bonner II...

Watching Oklahoma State running back Chuba Hubbard in practice reminds coach Mike Gundy of his old playing days as a Cowboys quarterback in the 1980s.

When Hubbard executes a running play at the 40-yard line during the non-tackling part of a practice, he runs to the goal line every time. Gundy spoke about it during OSU media day and said it reminded him of the guys he used to practice with.

“I hadn’t seen that in years,” Gundy said. “That’s encouraging. Now if you get back to how many steps he takes a day in practice, that could be a little bit of an issue, but I would rather back him off than have to kick him into the fight. So we’re excited about him at this point.”
Mike Gundy on new o-line coach Charlie Dickey...

Gundy previously tried to pull Charlie Dickey away from the Kansas State coaching staff but couldn’t get him to leave.

Wildcats coach Bill Snyder’s retirement after the 2018 season helped Gundy finally get Dickey to Stillwater. He hired Dickey as the offensive line coach in February and Gundy said he loves the new addition.

“He’s perfect for us,” Gundy said during the Night with OSU event in Oklahoma City on Monday. “I think he’s going to bring a little bit of a hard-nosed approach. I’m excited about what he’s done.”

“He lives in his world, which means from tackle to tackle. He’s pretty much not involved in anything going on out here or over here. He just lives in his world.”
Also, as the NFL preaseason is underway, I updated our local pros gallery. Thumbnails below are Michael Hunter (KC), Jordan Brailford (Washington), Justice Hill (Baltimore) and Codey McElroy (Dallas)
5d51b4d5d4a66.image.jpg 5d51b27f55db5.image.jpg 5d51b45e0d93b.image.jpg 5d51b7325b6e4.image.jpg

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Apologies for lack of updates posted here lately; but here's what we've had the past several days ---

OSU Caravan was at Tulsa's Hard Rock Hotel last night.

Photos from the event here.

Monday was also Coach Gundy's birthday. In honor of this, here's a look back at his 121 career victories as OSU's head coach.

Feature on Chuba Hubbard from Frank Bonner II...

Mike Gundy on new o-line coach Charlie Dickey...

Also, as the NFL preaseason is underway, I updated our local pros gallery. Thumbnails below are Michael Hunter (KC), Jordan Brailford (Washington), Justice Hill (Baltimore) and Codey McElroy (Dallas)
View attachment 72360 View attachment 72361 View attachment 72362 View attachment 72363
Man looking at Justice from true fr to now is just incredible. The job Rob Glass does for us is phenomenal.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Frank Bonner II: Mike Gundy pleased with Cowboys' weekend scrimmage

The Cowboys had a 110-play scrimmage over the weekend that allowed them to get better game-day preparation ahead of the season. Gundy was pleased with the outcome.

“Guys played hard,” Gundy said. “We got some quality contact and fortunately we stayed healthy. That’s always the issue you worry about that. But we turned them loose and let them play and we got some really good work.”

Gundy already announced Monday during the “Night with OSU” at the Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel that he wasn’t going to have much of an update on the quarterback battle, but he did share after practice Tuesday that both quarterbacks are getting more comfortable understanding the offense.

“They’re making plays,” Gundy said about quarterbacks Dru Brown and Spencer Sanders. “Everybody knows (that) for me, you’ve got to take care of the football. … You have to be able to run our offense at a very up-tempo style, and both of them are getting a little bit better every day.”
Also, after the OSU-Arkansas series announcement, I looked up some archive photos from the 1970s and 1980

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
This quote from Gundy says a lot:. "You have to be able to run our offense in a very up tempo style."

I said last year that I think Gundy puts more emphasis on being able to get the play off quickly than on who can make the best throws. That was why corndog was the guy, he obviously knew the offense very well.

It's certainly debate able about how much of an advantage the tempo is but for me personally, I say put the best QB in even if it means it takes 20 seconds to get the play called. The league is used to a fast tempo by now.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
This quote from Gundy says a lot:. "You have to be able to run our offense in a very up tempo style."

I said last year that I think Gundy puts more emphasis on being able to get the play off quickly than on who can make the best throws. That was why corndog was the guy, he obviously knew the offense very well.

It's certainly debate able about how much of an advantage the tempo is but for me personally, I say put the best QB in even if it means it takes 20 seconds to get the play called. The league is used to a fast tempo by now.
I think you’re oversimplifying what he said and the ramifications of being able to run the offense uptempo.

It’s not just about throwing quickly. It’s about being able to read defenses quickly so that you know what to do, where to go before they have time to adjust.

If it takes 20 seconds to read a defense, you’re likely facing a losing battle because the defense has the time to dissect the offensive personnel, have time to sub in correct packages, or change what their look is which makes the QB have to start his process all over again.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I think you’re oversimplifying what he said and the ramifications of being able to run the offense uptempo.

It’s not just about throwing quickly. It’s about being able to read defenses quickly so that you know what to do, where to go before they have time to adjust.

If it takes 20 seconds to read a defense, you’re likely facing a losing battle because the defense has the time to dissect the offensive personnel, have time to sub in correct packages, or change what their look is which makes the QB have to start his process all over again.
I'm not completely disagreeing with your point, but it's not as black and white as you make it sound. Last year OSU was 9th in plays per game. Clemson was 57th, Alabama was 87th, Georgia was 101st and ou was 105th. Obviously it's possible to win without running a play 5 seconds after the ball is set.