The Ocasio-Cortez Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
oddly, the cardboard cutout looks more intelligent
The cardboard cutout is more intelligent, because it wouldn't make the same mistake.
The cardboard cut out doesn't want to condemn 300+ million people in this country to the same fate as Venezuela.....yeah, I'll take the cardboard cutout every day of the week.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
Nothing good comes from social media. People (like AOC, Trump) make stupid blunders by not thinking in a rush to get something out there in the least amount of characters possible. It's just ridiculous.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Nothing good comes from social media. People (like AOC, Trump) make stupid blunders by not thinking in a rush to get something out there in the least amount of characters possible. It's just ridiculous.
Kind of interesting numbers about Twitter, specifically:

80% of Twitter users are international

Only 22% of US adults use twitter

2 most followed Twitter accounts are Obama & Katy Perry

Out of 1.3 billion Twitter accounts, only 328 million are active

So the next time you see yet another "story" telling you how "Twitter blew up over...", think about it. It's resulted in some of the laziest journalism I've ever seen. USA Today lives off of Twitter.

Last edited:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I'm not crazy am I? This is a HORRIBLE argument for allowing felons to vote right?...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
No. And count me in the crowd of “I don’t give a flying smurf what your felony conviction was. If you’re in prison on a felony conviction, you lose the right to vote.” Violent/non-violent... I don’t care... you’ve proven you can’t make sound decisions as a value adding member of society.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I'm not crazy am I? This is a HORRIBLE argument for allowing felons to vote right?...

No. And count me in the crowd of “I don’t give a flying smurf what your felony conviction was. If you’re in prison on a felony conviction, you lose the right to vote.” Violent/non-violent... I don’t care... you’ve proven you can’t make sound decisions as a value adding member of society.
I mean, I can see it as an argument for what is and isn't a felony, but to pass it on to voting laws??...

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
How about once they're finished with their sentence? If they've paid their dues, shouldn't they have their rights restored?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
How about once they're finished with their sentence? If they've paid their dues, shouldn't they have their rights restored?
1. Once you've paid your debt, you've paid your debt and at least some rights should be restored (violent felons should never be allowed to own or possess firearms again).
2. The dimebag argument is a terrible argument for allowing violent felons in prison to vote. However, we need to have discussions about decriminalization of small amounts for personal use.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
"you" don't want felons voting because of their built in bias. Why would we allow a "law breaker" the opportunity to participate in which laws apply to them and whether those laws are good or not?

The short - law breakers do not get to vote on laws.

It's freaking self-evident. It's one of those truths, up there with "all men are created equal".and that law breakers voting on laws is not one of those unalienable rights.

Aug 16, 2012
1. Once you've paid your debt, you've paid your debt and at least some rights should be restored (violent felons should never be allowed to own or possess firearms again).
2. The dimebag argument is a terrible argument for allowing violent felons in prison to vote. However, we need to have discussions about decriminalization of small amounts for personal use.
So, some inalienable rights are more important than others? Is it not completely subjective to restore some rights but not others?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
So, some inalienable rights are more important than others? Is it not completely subjective to restore some rights but not others?
that's odd.... I don't recall "the right to vote" being unalienable. Voting is derived by the "consent of the governed".

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Aug 16, 2012
that's odd.... I don't recall "the right to vote" being unalienable. Voting is derived by the "consent of the governed".

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.
No, the right is not in the Constitution, but has been clarified in several Amendments since. So I guess the Amendments do not address inalienable rights, but just items that would be cool for people to be able to do.