The Ocasio-Cortez Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Pretty much, & like most major shifts in society, you can't rely quantify its' impact in real time.

I've contended for awhile that history is going to look back on the rise & impact of social media unfavorably.
and I'm thinking that social media might actually have the opposite impact and history will credit it with our eventual return to a civil society.

most people are not stupid, and will adapt and learn that their seemingly flippant comments will be recorded for all of posterity. I think we're already seeing some real education programs about what to include on facebook and what not to include.

Stories about employers looking at social media of potential employees has traveled quickly, and most people (at least at the professional or near college graduate) are much more responsible about what they put out there.

admittedly, we still have a ways to go.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
nothing good comes from social media. Its a freaking train wreck and sadly it is driving political discourse in the country.

and Crenshaw's eye patch is glorious.
Pretty much, & like most major shifts in society, you can't rely quantify its' impact in real time.

I've contended for awhile that history is going to look back on the rise & impact of social media unfavorably.
I’m with you on this. Just like the ratio of good to bad posts, tweets, pics, whatever, for every positive, at least 10 negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
I’m with you on this. Just like the ratio of good to bad posts, tweets, pics, whatever, for every positive, at least 10 negatives.

I think you have to divide social media into two categories when having this discussion, anonymous vs not. IMO it is the anonymous nature of sites like this that bring down the level of discourse. At least with Twitter and Facebook, if you post something rude or stupid, you mostly have to own it. Whereas general message boards and forums, people can say anything, troll, etc, with impunity. Now I realize there are fake twitter and facebook accounts that promote all sorts of things, but again, I think it comes down to anonymity.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I think you have to divide social media into two categories when having this discussion, anonymous vs not. IMO it is the anonymous nature of sites like this that bring down the level of discourse. At least with Twitter and Facebook, if you post something rude or stupid, you mostly have to own it. Whereas general message boards and forums, people can say anything, troll, etc, with impunity. Now I realize there are fake twitter and facebook accounts that promote all sorts of things, but again, I think it comes down to anonymity.
Part of my displeasure is the massive time it takes away from more useful pursuits by the kids, young adults, workplace, etc....

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Good point!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Good point!
Clearly not familiar with the HS, college and under 30 use of twittersphere, Instagram and Snapchat. Mumbai India’s sewer is cleaner.

Nov 6, 2010
Clearly not familiar with the HS, college and under 30 use of twittersphere, Instagram and Snapchat. Mumbai India’s sewer is cleaner.

I'll freely admit I'm out of my depth here, but I do think my initial point stands as far as the level of discourse. Anonymity makes things worse. Even spewing drunken nonsense to strangers in a bar can get your ass kicked. Online, no consequences.