The Ocasio-Cortez Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I recently saw a "man on the street" interview piece done in her district.

She's representing her constituents. A lot of them didn't think her proposals went far enough. She's going tobe reelected, many times. We better start taking her seriously.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Interesting that this subject popped up:
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/02/andrew-sullivan-the-nature-of-sex.html

It might be a sign of the end-times, or simply a function of our currently scrambled politics, but earlier this week, four feminist activists — three from a self-described radical feminist organization Women’s Liberation Front — appeared on a panel at the Heritage Foundation. Together they argued that sex was fundamentally biological, and not socially constructed, and that there is a difference between women and trans women that needs to be respected. For this, they were given a rousing round of applause by the Trump supporters, religious-right members, natural law theorists, and conservative intellectuals who comprised much of the crowd. If you think I’ve just discovered an extremely potent strain of weed and am hallucinating, check out the video of the event.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Interesting that this subject popped up:
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/02/andrew-sullivan-the-nature-of-sex.html

It might be a sign of the end-times, or simply a function of our currently scrambled politics, but earlier this week, four feminist activists — three from a self-described radical feminist organization Women’s Liberation Front — appeared on a panel at the Heritage Foundation. Together they argued that sex was fundamentally biological, and not socially constructed, and that there is a difference between women and trans women that needs to be respected. For this, they were given a rousing round of applause by the Trump supporters, religious-right members, natural law theorists, and conservative intellectuals who comprised much of the crowd. If you think I’ve just discovered an extremely potent strain of weed and am hallucinating, check out the video of the event.
TERF wars...

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
"I'm a cisgendered woman, I will never know the trauma of feeling like I'm not born in the right body. That is a privilege I have no matter how poor my family was when I was born."
--AOC
As a living human, I will never know the trauma of a late term abortion. That is a privilege I have no matter how poor or wealthy my family was when I was "born."...because I was...
Rack

Btw, what is "cisgender?" I'm afraid I'm far behind on my mindless left social justice pseudoscientific terminology.

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Memo to conservatives: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez understands taxes better than you do
https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-aoc-taxes-20190107-story.html
Everyone understands and everyone understands the differences during those times. When the marginal tax rates were that high and higher the effective tax rate on high income individuals was 39% vs. today's 37% due to the number of deductions and shelters available. Are we bringing those back with along with the tax brackets from the 1960's?

As far as dividend income, dividend paying stocks have been purchased with money that was already taxed as income or dividend. The dividend is paid out by the company that has already paid their required tax on their income, how many times do you want to tax the same dollar?

Last edited:

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
Memo to conservatives: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez understands taxes better than you do
https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-aoc-taxes-20190107-story.html

Fake news. I doubt Occasional Cortex could explain the difference between a marginal versus an average tax rate; a deduction versus a credit; much less explain whether any part of a vacation home can be deducted or how to calculate depreciation on a rental property investment. All basic stuff.

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Placing this here since Medicare for All is a central theme to AOC and the Dem's during elections:

Less than a month after Democrats — many of them running on “Medicare for All” — won back control of the House of Representatives in November, the top health policy aide to then-prospective House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met with Blue Cross Blue Shield executives and assured them that party leadership had strong reservations about single-payer health care and was more focused on lowering drug prices, according to sources familiar with the meeting.

Pelosi adviser Wendell Primus detailed five objections to Medicare for All and said that Democrats would be allies to the insurance industry in the fight against single-payer health care. Primus pitched the insurers on supporting Democrats on efforts to shrink drug prices, specifically by backing a number of measures that the pharmaceutical lobby is opposing.

Primus, in a slide presentation obtained by The Intercept, criticized single payer on the basis of cost (“Monies are needed for other priorities”), opposition (“Stakeholders are against; Creates winners and losers”), and “implementation challenges.” We have recreated the slides for source protection purposes.

Read the full article:
https://theintercept.com/2019/02/05/nancy-pelosi-medicare-for-all/

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Placing this here since Medicare for All is a central theme to AOC and the Dem's during elections:

Less than a month after Democrats — many of them running on “Medicare for All” — won back control of the House of Representatives in November, the top health policy aide to then-prospective House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met with Blue Cross Blue Shield executives and assured them that party leadership had strong reservations about single-payer health care and was more focused on lowering drug prices, according to sources familiar with the meeting.

Pelosi adviser Wendell Primus detailed five objections to Medicare for All and said that Democrats would be allies to the insurance industry in the fight against single-payer health care. Primus pitched the insurers on supporting Democrats on efforts to shrink drug prices, specifically by backing a number of measures that the pharmaceutical lobby is opposing.

Primus, in a slide presentation obtained by The Intercept, criticized single payer on the basis of cost (“Monies are needed for other priorities”), opposition (“Stakeholders are against; Creates winners and losers”), and “implementation challenges.” We have recreated the slides for source protection purposes.

Read the full article:
https://theintercept.com/2019/02/05/nancy-pelosi-medicare-for-all/
1549386006429.png

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I didn't read it.... it's from the same nut that I just pointed out to you is a complete nutjob

at this point, you're just trolling
Well, we all know how well dedicated you are to being deeply biased against editorial writers who don't write conservative. Objective people know there are two sides on every coin.

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Well, we all know how well dedicated you are to being deeply biased against editorial writers who don't write conservative. Objective people know there are two sides on every coin.
don't be silly. There are not two side to my liberty. There is liberty or there is none - there is not two sides.

this idiot had the audacity to claim (in his column) that the United incident was simply a diversion to take everyone away from Trump bashing.

I mean, come on Townie, I don't care if he writes conservative or radical, but he is simply not honest.

He's a troll for clicks and attention. He's not a legitimate source.