The Ocasio-Cortez Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Ha, you guys are doing such a good job making it so "obvious" that people on the other side of the world are talking fondly about a first year congresswoman from a small district. Previously they would probably not recognize the name of more than one or two congressmen at all.
I imagine people on the other side of the world knew who Sarah Palin was as well. Fame is fleeting. Cortez could have a long career in DC the same way any politicians from partisan districts do, because of the letter by her name. If she doesn't, then the extra attention being paid to her will certainly help her make the move to TV, like Palin did. The attacks by conservatives, certainly make her more marketable to the biased audience today's media caters to. Just like Palin was for Fox. If people are talking fondly about her in New Zealand, well that's a problem for New Zealand to deal with, not me.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I imagine people on the other side of the world knew who Sarah Palin was as well. Fame is fleeting. Cortez could have a long career in DC the same way any politicians from partisan districts do, because of the letter by her name. If she doesn't, then the extra attention being paid to her will certainly help her make the move to TV, like Palin did. The attacks by conservatives, certainly make her more marketable to the biased audience today's media caters to. Just like Palin was for Fox. If people are talking fondly about her in New Zealand, well that's a problem for New Zealand to deal with, not me.
You're still missing the point..... Palin was completely unknown here in the states as the governor of a state, who while sparsely populated, has some importance due it's location and oil production. She bust on the scene when she was nominated for VP in an election the world was watching due to a historic candidate that the world was watching. Cortez hasn't done squat and won and insignificant election. No one should know who Cortez is....most people don't know their own congress person....the countless memes and such give her her publicity and there is no such thing as bad press for her.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
You're still missing the point..... Palin was completely unknown here in the states as the governor of a state, who while sparsely populated, has some importance due it's location and oil production. She bust on the scene when she was nominated for VP in an election the world was watching due to a historic candidate that the world was watching. Cortez hasn't done squat and won and insignificant election. No one should know who Cortez is....most people don't know their own congress person....the countless memes and such give her her publicity and there is no such thing as bad press for her.
That works up to a point. She can always screw it up.

Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
That works up to a point. She can always screw it up.
Dead girl, live boy, comatose gender neutral......that's all that can hurt her because there is no way the people of that are proliferating the memes etc will ever vote for her.....but her message is getting to people that may agree when it otherwise wouldn't have.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I am missing something because I don't know why you and steross care enough to actually intervene in this thread. Even if what you say is true, so what?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I am missing something because I don't know why you and steross care enough to actually intervene in this thread. Even if what you say is true, so what?
obviously because people in New Zealand are such experts at Capitalism and US Constitutional Liberty.... don't we all hang on every word that comes from Kiwi's?

Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah, and HRC was inevitable... until she didn't win.
And Trump was a joke right up till he won. The people who despise her message are the ones giving her her voice. See entire thread devoted to a rookie from a single district.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
And Trump was a joke right up till he won. The people who despise her message are the ones giving her her voice. See entire thread devoted to a rookie from a single district.
I think the anxiety is from the slippery slope she represents. She's not the only dangerous actor to sweep in this term. See also Rashida Tlaib.

Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
So you all are following her every word.....clicking on stories.....pictures.....memes.....and the people who produce content want clicks......and you have a thread devoted to her that we are currently operating in (I realize you struggle with the meaning there Cali but this thread is devoted to her and her alone)......and you don't see how that is advancing her voice and broadening her audience.

Ok... carry on.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
So you all are following her every word.....clicking on stories.....pictures.....memes.....and the people who produce content want clicks......and you have a thread devoted to her that we are currently operating in (I realize you struggle with the meaning there Cali but this thread is devoted to her and her alone)......and you don't see how that is advancing her voice and broadening her audience.

Ok... carry on.
not devoted "to her", devoted to making fun of her. It's more of a devotion to comedy, than to her.

her audience is not being broadened, the audience of mockery is being broadened.

carry on.