The Ocasio-Cortez Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Should people taking money from green energy companies be able to draft climate legislation. And how is that any different. Let's have her put her money where her mouth is and not take any money or benefits from any lobbying group if she plans on ever voting in favor of that group. Otherwise, she's just a plain hypocrite like all the rest of them in DC. I think you and I both know what her answer to that will be....the difference is, you'll give her a pass for it.
It's the same old "stop calling names you @$$^@!#."

She wants to walk to a different set of rules than she wants from others whose politics don't align with hers.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
As there hasn't been a proposal who knows what she is thinking with the 70% rate as far deductions go. But, I think something can be said for a tax system with high marginal rates but also high deductions. Instead of our current system where the wealthy have most of the money and no impetus to do anything but sit on it, using deductions so that they avoid high rates, but also have to do something with the money can stimulate.
but yet, it was Obama trying to limit charitable deductions so that he could decide how to spend their money.

It's their money, let them do as they see fit with it. The government has no right to any of our money except to fund the things they're authorized to perform via the Constitution.

cut the government, and leave the people alone.... even the successful people

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
You guys all do realize that she is a congressman from a small district in New York? She should be nearly unknown. I've got friends in Australia talking about her because of all the publicity she gets.

She is Trumping you guys. The more you complain, make fun, and try to put her down, the stronger she gets.
If she does to the Democrats what Trump is doing to the Republicans then we are in deep, deep trouble. But the evidence is the opposite. She has already been slapped around by the Democratic establishment. She might be able to hang on to her seat in that particular district, but she is a blithering idiot who is ultimately not going to have any national impact. It is like a comedian friend of mine who said that Britney Spears was going to be fine because people were discussing her after she shaved her head. Where is she now except forgotten?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
If she does to the Democrats what Trump is doing to the Republicans then we are in deep, deep trouble. But the evidence is the opposite. She has already been slapped around by the Democratic establishment. She might be able to hang on to her seat in that particular district, but she is a blithering idiot who is ultimately not going to have any national impact. It is like a comedian friend of mine who said that Britney Spears was going to be fine because people were discussing her after she shaved her head. Where is she now except forgotten?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Trump- made fun of, doom predicted, now president
Brittany- made fun of, doom predicted, now has very popular show in Vegas selling out and making a mint.

I guess we will see.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
The higher the marginal tax rate, the greater the incentive to find ways to avoid paying taxes. From an economics perspective, it incentivizes people to waste resources finding ways to avoid taxes.
Also, as one of my Finance professors said when I was an undergrad, Congress passes a new tax bill and before they are through congratulating themselves, the real tax experts outside of government have already found three loopholes.

Edited to say I'm sorry for hijacking the thread away from your Brittany Spears discussion.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I’m going on record to predict, that she is going to get caught in a scandal that involves her taking money from someone she purports to not support.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I’m going on record to predict, that she is going to get caught in a scandal that involves her taking money from someone she purports to not support.
There's plenty of money out there from people she does support. She can become extremely wealthy from just the big money driving the left these days. Not saying you're wrong but it would be very stupid of her.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
LOL... you so funny. As I said, we're making it obvious that the nonsense that she and the progressives represent will never work.

She is the poster child for failed policies. Great strategy!
Popularity unfortunately is far more important than policy. Ask a republican republican 5 years ago if they would support a tariff-seeking, war-heroes insulting, crude, womanizing candidate? Of course not. But now that he is popular they are sure accepting of what they previously rallied against.

Ha, you guys are doing such a good job making it so "obvious" that people on the other side of the world are talking fondly about a first year congresswoman from a small district. Previously they would probably not recognize the name of more than one or two congressmen at all. Great strategy!

Jul 20, 2018
Popularity unfortunately is far more important than policy. Ask a republican republican 5 years ago if they would support a tariff-seeking, war-heroes insulting, crude, womanizing candidate? Of course not. But now that he is popular they are sure accepting of what they previously rallied against.

Ha, you guys are doing such a good job making it so "obvious" that people on the other side of the world are talking fondly about a first year congresswoman from a small district. Previously they would probably not recognize the name of more than one or two congressmen at all. Great strategy!
Do you seriously think we should give two craps about what people from Australia are talking about? Their opinions about America are irrelevant. Those people were denutted when they let their government confiscate guns.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Do you seriously think we should give two craps about what people from Australia are talking about? Their opinions about America are irrelevant. Those people were denutted when they let their government confiscate guns.
Yes.
From the standpoint that if people in Australia are hearing the publicity about a congresswoman, the US is saturated with it. For a politician, publicity is the lifeblood. And you guys are filling her full of it exactly like the liberals did with Trump.

Jul 20, 2018
Yes.
From the standpoint that if people in Australia are hearing the publicity about a congresswoman, the US is saturated with it. For a politician, publicity is the lifeblood. And you guys are filling her full of it exactly like the liberals did with Trump.
My opinion about Occasional-Cortex has absolutely zero impact on what is published by the mainstream media. She will always be a media darling.