The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

bleedinorange

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
A while back a poster (newer investor) asked the thread for advice on potential stock purchases. I responded and with my financial advisor son's advice recommended Amazon, Apple, and Intuit surgical. The person who asked ignored my post without so much as a "fu buddy". I thought I'd update my recommendations with a report on the performance of the stocks. If you'd bought only 5 shares of each at that time (around 3/20) at a cost of $12,210, as of yesterday you would have a $9,275 profit. I hope you did.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
A while back a poster (newer investor) asked the thread for advice on potential stock purchases. I responded and with my financial advisor son's advice recommended Amazon, Apple, and Intuit surgical. The person who asked ignored my post without so much as a "fu buddy". I thought I'd update my recommendations with a report on the performance of the stocks. If you'd bought only 5 shares of each at that time (around 3/20) at a cost of $12,210, as of yesterday you would have a $9,275 profit. I hope you did.
Similarly, if anyone would have bought silver back on March 18th when I suggested it and bought some, you would have over doubled your money: $12.37 an ounce then to $26.80 today.

The fundamentals still look very strong in the medium to long term with all of the deficit spending, currency printing and free money.

Last edited:

bleedinorange

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Similarly, if anyone would have bought silver back on March 18th when I suggested it and bought some, you would have over doubled your money: $12.37 an ounce then to $26.80 today.

The fundamentals still look very strong in the medium to long term with all of the deficit spending, currency printing and free money.
You're right of course, for the moment. Commodities are weak if one is looking for sustainable growth. Momentary ups followed by predictable downs preclude them as a viable vehicle for retirement security. Some argue gold/silver is not as good a hedge on inflation as oil. There is no dividend and physical gold/silver can incur costs as high 4-5% to sell.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
You're right of course, for the moment. Commodities are weak if one is looking for sustainable growth. Momentary ups followed by predictable downs preclude them as a viable vehicle for retirement security. Some argue gold/silver is not as good a hedge on inflation as oil. There is no dividend and physical gold/silver can incur costs as high 4-5% to sell.
True, however paper gold & silver avoid these issues. They have downsides, but that only reallycomes int o play if there is a run on those and a demand for the physical equivalent en masse. Basically only if there is a monetary collapse pf some kind.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
If you're investing in anything besides U.S. company stocks and bonds, you are overthinking it.
It’s good to have a portion of your equities in international for diversification. I know they‘ve lagged US stocks over the past decade, but there’s been many periods where they outperformed. Consider them a bargain now.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rket-is-forcing-everyone-to-become-a-believer

Rallying Stock Market Is Forcing Everyone to Become a Believer

From professional investors to market handicappers, it’s becoming next to impossible to stay bearish in the face of the rally in equities.

Fund managers who went to cash when the pandemic broke out have been forced back in to stocks, pushing measures of positioning toward historical highs. Wall Street forecasters, some of whom threw up their hands in surrender four months ago, are pushing up targets each day. Even Goldman Sachs Group Inc., which once warned that bad loans and falling dividends could drive a second leg of the bear market, now sees another 6% of upside in the S&P 500.

Oct 7, 2008
Alright, everyone and their dog is moving right now. Sales on homes are up 25% from June to July. Up 9% from a year ago. Meanwhile Uhaul is still down to 350 from their 52-week high of 425. That's paid off a little for me so far but I see it paying off much more. I'm also looking at Masco. What other stocks could benefit from this? C'mon smart guys let's see what you got!

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I'm thinking about getting into AMD. They are destroying Intel and have a lot of room for market share growth. Intel is also still working with a 10nm process on their next gen chips, while AMD is rumored to have a 5nm process on the new zen 3 chips. If that is true, they will be hands down better in every way.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2008
Thinking of investing in cashless plays like Paypal, Square, Visa, or any combo thereof.
I bought Square this week even after it jumped 10%. Watched it for a few days thinking it would do a little dip and it basically held steady so went ahead and went in. Jumped another 4% for me so far. It's really a shame everyone uses the Venmo app because Square's personal payment app is 10x better. I was forced to switch over like five years ago bc that's what all my friends were using. Might have to make the switch back to support my company now!

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I bought Square this week even after it jumped 10%. Watched it for a few days thinking it would do a little dip and it basically held steady so went ahead and went in. Jumped another 4% for me so far. It's really a shame everyone uses the Venmo app because Square's personal payment app is 10x better. I was forced to switch over like five years ago bc that's what all my friends were using. Might have to make the switch back to support my company now!
I passed on NVDA a few weeks ago because I thought they were overextended and didn't want to chase it.
Sorely regretting it.