The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
OK, so it has been nearly a month since I jumped in on this deal with some really good advice from certain posters, but anyone want to guess which stock of the 14 stocks I decided to buy, which one performed the best?? Drumroll........WENDYS. Not a sexy pick, but up a whopping 31% as of this post. And I had nothing to do with it, my wife picked it.

Worst performing has been Southwest Airlines, down 17% for me.

Any best and worst picks from anyone else?
Really not surprising for a couple of reasons, I mentioned earlier that Mcd’s has always been a good strength of economy measure, downturns almost always see strength in this sector, plus fast food in general is in a strong position because in most cases the SIPO’s didn’t alter their model in a significant way, if anything it validated their model.
Congratulations on a great month, I’d be interested in understanding your objectives for these stocks if you’re willing to share.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
OK, so it has been nearly a month since I jumped in on this deal with some really good advice from certain posters, but anyone want to guess which stock of the 14 stocks I decided to buy, which one performed the best?? Drumroll........WENDYS. Not a sexy pick, but up a whopping 31% as of this post. And I had nothing to do with it, my wife picked it.

Worst performing has been Southwest Airlines, down 17% for me.

Any best and worst picks from anyone else?
Best - NVDA

Worst - FSDAX (Fidelity Select Defense & Aerospace Fund) Freakin Boeing

Nov 6, 2010
Really not surprising for a couple of reasons, I mentioned earlier that Mcd’s has always been a good strength of economy measure, downturns almost always see strength in this sector, plus fast food in general is in a strong position because in most cases the SIPO’s didn’t alter their model in a significant way, if anything it validated their model.
Congratulations on a great month, I’d be interested in understanding your objectives for these stocks if you’re willing to share.
Hey, you helped a lot with that Nvidia tip, so thank you. My only objective is to buy severely depressed due to the virus, but premium brand stocks and hold them for 2-5 years. So I've focused on travel and leisure as well as energy. Obviously, LUV has been hit hard, but others have held up pretty well I assume based on speculation in the same mode of thinking as my own. Care to guess what my second best pick has been?? DRI.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Hey, you helped a lot with that Nvidia tip, so thank you. My only objective is to buy severely depressed due to the virus, but premium brand stocks and hold them for 2-5 years. So I've focused on travel and leisure as well as energy. Obviously, LUV has been hit hard, but others have held up pretty well I assume based on speculation in the same mode of thinking as my own. Care to guess what my second best pick has been?? DRI.
I wasn’t familiar with dri looked it up, frankly that was a bit of a surprise for me. I’m glad the stock is working out. Target price is 350, if you’re planning on taking profits that’s where I’d start.
I don’t recommend stocks very often to anyone and that was a first on this board but at the prices it was something I thought folks should at least look at fro themselves and make a decision. Based on the reactions it’ll probably also be the last.
I’ll stick to information and folks can dig deeper if they want.

This thread still has promise

Last edited:

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Best - NVDA

Worst - FSDAX (Fidelity Select Defense & Aerospace Fund) Freakin Boeing

I bought Boeing, yea Boeing, this is a case where the etf limited your exposure but it also limited your value in the big dogs rebound. You’d have seen the same outcome on nvidea thru an etf, sometimes you bite the bear and sometimes the bear bites you. You’re still substantially ahead of start, well done.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
For the gamblers out there that consider the market and not just their financial analysis of an individual security this is a nice assessment:
https://www.schwab.com/resource-cen...h-speed-bear-and-bull-both-running-full-speed
That’s been pointed out by most of the pundits since the rally began, its a natural outcropping of our deep dive into the mmt (71 on) that has since become the fabric for the markets, ww. There’s no turning back, unfortunately imo, however it’s also why long term the stock market is still the safest place to be. What’s mostly ignored is that Nixon’s move was supposed to be temporary but then that silly WG happened and economic history changed forever. I’ve argued against debt for years but there is no politician who is going to starve people over principles, so it ain’t changing.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
70% of the economy is consumers and confidence can be measured in large part by credit activity.
Keep an eye on mc & visa, they’ve been strong but is it a bump due to unexpected money to spend or can it keep going.
That’s the message their CEO’s sent not to long ago, is next qtr showing eoq growth or is the curve reversed, that’ll be the test

Apr 14, 2009
Look for the newest cutting edge online Service Technology. The outfits first to develop New market specific service technology will grow exponentially going forward.

This is Not an original thought.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
[QUOTE="olderschool, post: 4069105, member: 5540"
Look for the newest cutting edge online Service technology. The outfits first to develop New market specific service technology will grow exponentially going forward.

This is Not an original thought.[/QUOTE]

There was never any doubt.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I bought Boeing, yea Boeing, this is a case where the etf limited your exposure but it also limited your value in the big dogs rebound. You’d have seen the same outcome on nvidea thru an etf, sometimes you bite the bear and sometimes the bear bites you. You’re still substantially ahead of start, well done.
I have had boeing for years and got caught holding it as I was getting greedy. I should have taken my gains , but before the crashes with the 737. I double down and bought more. Doh!!! It was already a long term investment , but buying the extra shares I could done without. I am going to hold it for a lot longer time now. Sadly my average price is 242 now.

Nov 6, 2010
I have had boeing for years and got caught holding it as I was getting greedy. I should have taken my gains , but before the crashes with the 737. I double down and bought more. Doh!!! It was already a long term investment , but buying the extra shares I could done without. I am going to hold it for a lot longer time now. Sadly my average price is 242 now.
Ouch!

I think I"m going to wait until the inevitable profit taking tomorrow, then buy a bunch more Exxon. I think the gamblers have been flushed out of the oil market, so prices should start to rise steadily with the reopening, and their fundamentals look pretty strong already to my untrained eye.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Ouch!

I think I"m going to wait until the inevitable profit taking tomorrow, then buy a bunch more Exxon. I think the gamblers have been flushed out of the oil market, so prices should start to rise steadily with the reopening, and their fundamentals look pretty strong already to my untrained eye.
Exxon is the perfect hedge against rising gasoline prices. Invest an amount equal to your average annual gasoline purchases. You’re golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
Exxon is the perfect hedge against rising gasoline prices. Invest an amount equal to your average annual gasoline purchases. You’re golden.

Thanks, but I'm not trying to hedge. What are your thoughts on their fundamentals?? Seems their dividend is way better than their stock price indicates, let alone future potential energy price increases.

Apr 14, 2009
[QUOTE="olderschool, post: 4069105, member: 5540"
Look for the newest cutting edge online Service technology. The outfits first to develop New market specific service technology will grow exponentially going forward.

This is Not an original thought.
There was never any doubt.[/QUOTE]

Got that Quote from my Son-in-law who lives in San Jose. Who gleaned it at meeting with some gentleman in the consumer marketing tech industry. I believe they have a lot of that kind of thing around San Jose.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Thanks, but I'm not trying to hedge. What are your thoughts on their fundamentals?? Seems their dividend is way better than their stock price indicates, let alone future potential energy price increases.
One of the best run companies on the planet. You can’t go wrong as long as you understand the stock price moves with the price of oil. Great investment if you buy now and have the patience to wait for oil prices to recover - which they will.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Been loving my Dexcom for the last 4 months. In at $157 late Oct early Nov.

Edit: I didn't buy this, my FA did. I would have probably passed. He knows how to earn his 1%.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Ouch!

Yeah and everyone that I know with market knowledge are telling me buy more. Thats the crux, I am not going to sell something at a loss and buy more. I have some cds coming due. I will buy some more to avg myself down next month when those cash in.