The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
So, my wife and I have decided to jump into the market on an individual stock level for the first time. Any ideas on specific companies to look at?? Some I'm considering are:

Marriott
Southwest Airlines
GE
IBM
Proctor and Gamble
Darden Rest

I might add our goal is buy value and hold.

Well

This is how I spend time.
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
So, my wife and I have decided to jump into the market on an individual stock level for the first time. Any ideas on specific companies to look at?? Some I'm considering are:

Marriott
Southwest Airlines
GE
IBM
Proctor and Gamble
Darden Rest

New at this too. Been looking at Oneok.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head

Marriott
Southwest Airlines
GE
IBM
Proctor and Gamble
Darden Rest

My suggestion is to read up on the company statistics. Things like price to earnings ratio, and payout ratio if you're looking for dividends. Long term stocks who don't cut dividends are usually a good bet. Beware of companies who have a history of reverse splits which can drive a stock price down. Keeping an eye on some rapid growth stocks can turn a quick profit. Stay completely away from penny stocks. If I were you and it's hard to know because I've been in the market so long so I asked my son who's a financial adviser, He would look at Amazon, Intuitive surgical, AEP, and maybe Apple. Try to be as diverse as possible.
Another thing to always consider is that you'll never go broke making a profit. Don't ride a winner to the bottom thinking it will recover. You can always sell while ahead and buy back at the bottom. Too many investors pick a stock during a run up and hang on for the extra $ they're sure are coming. Better to sell a winner 3/4 of the way to its peak than watch it disappear.

Bulls get rich, bears get rich, hogs get slaughtered. Don't be a hog.

This advice is worth all you paid for it. :)

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom

Marriott
Southwest Airlines
GE
IBM
Proctor and Gamble
Darden Rest

So I’m going against what I would normally suggest, if you’re jumping in now on value this is not the time for buy and hold. This is the time to buy in value pick a target price and move. The regulatory uncertainty that’s coming out of all this coupled with the inevitable tax increases make this a different market than I’ve ever lived through. Even 9/11 had a date where the street became comfortable and you could watch the market move based on that timeframe.
Even if you assume we’re over the hill, I think we are, knowing the uncertainty that will extend makes this a great money making market but not a particularly good b&h environment. Obviously that’s an opinion but it’s shared by a number of people. I would suggest taking the plunge on the motley fool and watching for under $10 stocks there’s a ton of value if you lift the right rock, in general I’m not a huge fan of the fool but in highly volatile situations they’re pretty good and they watch everything and that’s the key try not to lock in on an industry unless you know it well.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
So I’m going against what I would normally suggest, if you’re jumping in now on value this is not the time for buy and hold. This is the time to buy in value pick a target price and move. The regulatory uncertainty that’s coming out of all this coupled with the inevitable tax increases make this a different market than I’ve ever lived through. Even 9/11 had a date where the street became comfortable and you could watch the market move based on that timeframe.
Even if you assume we’re over the hill, I think we are, knowing the uncertainty that will extend makes this a great money making market but not a particularly good b&h environment. Obviously that’s an opinion but it’s shared by a number of people. I would suggest taking the plunge on the motley fool and watching for under $10 stocks there’s a ton of value if you lift the right rock, in general I’m not a huge fan of the fool but in highly volatile situations they’re pretty good and they watch everything and that’s the key try not to lock in on an industry unless you know it well.
I’d add, if buy & hold is the way you decide to go, I think there’s almost a certainty you’re going to see massive military buildups across the globe on the other side of the china virus. I’d be looking at companies that stand to gain the most from those buildups.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Marriott
Southwest Airlines
GE
IBM
Proctor and Gamble
Darden Rest

What you’re suggesting is playing the market, not investing. Your strategy is for seasoned market analysts and traders, not for newbies looking to invest outside their funds and retirement accounts - unless you’re looking to get your face peeled off. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
What you’re suggesting is playing the market, not investing. Your strategy is for seasoned market analysts and traders, not for newbies looking to invest outside their funds and retirement accounts - unless you’re looking to get your face peeled off. JMO

Really?? Buying blue chip companies and holding them for 5 plus years is playing the market? I realize I'm getting out of my lane here, but it's not like I'm going to buy penny stocks or try to day trade. Nor am I investing any money that I"m going to need anytime soon.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Really?? Buying blue chip companies and holding them for 5 plus years is playing the market? I realize I'm getting out of my lane here, but it's not like I'm going to buy penny stocks or try to day trade. Nor am I investing any money that I"m going to need anytime soon.
Ugh, watched my brother in law burn through a retirement account playing the penny stocks.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
All of those are forms of investing. Some people are stuck in a narrow band and can’t see past their investment nose.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011

What I’m suggesting is that if you’ve going to invest for real gains in the next 6 mos blue chips aren’t the way to go, there will be exceptions, if anyone knows of those please dm me.
As a result of regulatory changes that will happen and buying behavior changes that are happening and a myriad of other unknowns, there are several verticals that may never bounce back with any gusto add that with the inevitable tax increases coming and a 5 year b&h generally speaking and imo, is letting your money sit idle.
In no way is this a referendum on b&h it all depends on your window and when you got in, I’ve got retirement holdings that someone else manages and I’ve got a stock portfolio that I manage.
I’m also suggesting there are excellent sources of information for a highly volatile market and that’s my expectation of the back side of this hill. Some co’s will roar back and some will limp and almost all co’s regardless of their ultimate recovery will be a roller coaster.
As with everything perspective and moderation are key.

Nov 6, 2010

Sorry, I see you weren't replying to me.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
We've got our IRA's and 401K's in mutual funds. This is more for fun.
This response is why I posted you might consider an alternative to buy and hold. If this was your nest egg for retirement I’d never suggest what I did. I assumed you were trying to realize real gains in a shorter window, if not disregard everything except the military supply chain comment.

Will you make money with a b&h strategy if you hold long enough there’s no doubt, unless you simply make a poor decision on who.
A huge variable in all this, does DJT win in November, if he does your chance of seeing a material increase in a tighter window are substantially improved he’s a, for better or worse, market potus.