The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Welp screwed the pooch on this, I told you I was watching pharma dist. The stock I was on was abc I’ve been watching it this week had convinced myself it’d go to 75 - remember I mentioned don’t try to time the bottom, today in aht it’s up to 91, I don’t think it’s much more than a 110 stock so I’m passing but on Tuesday it was easy money and my idiocy got in the way.
Lol! We're all Warren Buffet in hindsight.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
The Fed has announced they will be purchasing $125 Billion in securities a day. Yes, you read that right, $125 BILLION A DAY!

Well on our way to becomming a banana republic.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
C'mon congressturds, I know it is gonna be hard but these are hard times, I'm hoping you to can take just one day and care about the people not your own weak desires. Get rid of all the BS baggage and make a deal so this market rally gets some legs.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
C'mon congressturds, I know it is gonna be hard but these are hard times, I'm hoping you to can take just one day and care about the people not your own weak desires. Get rid of all the BS baggage and make a deal so this market rally gets some legs.
It was only when Pelosi came back from vacation that the wheels came off of this thing....just sayin'.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
It was only when Pelosi came back from vacation that the wheels came off of this thing....just sayin'.
I'm fine with them bickering for a while about how much goes to individuals and how much goes to small business and how much goes to big business. That is them doing their jobs.
But, when they want to add green energy, min wage, etc all of which are long term issues into an emergency bill, that is pure scum.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I'm fine with them bickering for a while about how much goes to individuals and how much goes to small business and how much goes to big business. That is them doing their jobs.
But, when they want to add green energy, min wage, etc all of which are long term issues into an emergency bill, that is pure scum.
Agree on all points. The lion's share of this deal should go to small business.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Yeah, or funding that has no oversight, and who gets what funds/how much be hidden for 6 months from the public. Congress sucks, outside of Justin Amash.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
You're selling scum a little short, they are much worse.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Even though we're up about 10% on the major averages today, still a horrific amount of volatility and there absolutely will be new lows tested. We'll see what the jobs report does to the market Thursday.

The NASDAQ may be the place to look for a turnaround soon.

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, or funding that has no oversight, and who gets what funds/how much be hidden for 6 months from the public. Congress sucks, outside of Justin Amash.
I think there are a few on both sides with integrity and decency, but they are few and far between, and our two party system makes it tough for any of them to do the right thing.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Even though we're up about 10% on the major averages today, still a horrific amount of volatility and there absolutely will be new lows tested. We'll see what the jobs report does to the market Thursday.

The NASDAQ may be the place to look for a turnaround soon.
Being home doing nothing today, I did some trading and did find it a difficult day. Much of the huge gain was priced in pre-market. About the time it would appear ready to run it would reverse. I had the idea that going long on short term trades was a good idea as congress would announce the stimulus during the trading day for another bump. Shows what I know depending on congress to do anything useful. I was losing my ass on the day then in the last hour came up and rescued myself.

I have long term accounts and a trading account that is about 10% of my liquid net worth. I wish I could switch those percentages at the moment as I am killing in my trading account (+13% this year) but my other accounts, of course, dwarf that with huge losses. I was tracking the loss for a while but stopped as I think seeing the number like that can make you do stupid things.

I agree with you. The likelihood of any sort of a V bottom in this is very low.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Being home doing nothing today, I did some trading and did find it a difficult day. Much of the huge gain was priced in pre-market. About the time it would appear ready to run it would reverse. I had the idea that going long on short term trades was a good idea as congress would announce the stimulus during the trading day for another bump. Shows what I know depending on congress to do anything useful. I was losing my ass on the day then in the last hour came up and rescued myself.

I have long term accounts and a trading account that is about 10% of my liquid net worth. I wish I could switch those percentages at the moment as I am killing in my trading account (+13% this year) but my other accounts, of course, dwarf that with huge losses. I was tracking the loss for a while but stopped as I think seeing the number like that can make you do stupid things.

I agree with you. The likelihood of any sort of a V bottom in this is very low.
Amen to that.

Key takeaways from the last two day's action:

1. Indexes finished at the tip top of their trading ranges. - Good
2. Volume was down 23% on the NYSE, and up .8% on the Nasdaq. - Mixed. You really want to see that volume considerably higher on this type of up move. This is why I believe lows may be retested.
3. NASDAQ is looking like it will lead the way during the recovery, as it was only down .3% yesterday among broad losses on the S&P and Dow.

I didn't have time to look at any breadth numbers (ups vs. downs), but I may comment on that later unless someone like @steross has it at their fingertips. The previous two days may actually be bellweather sessions if some kind of recovery is afoot, but even if I had all the numbers handy, nothing is guaranteed in this environment.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
You’ve only lost $10 so far, and only down $72 on Tesla. Winning
J. P. Morgan stock down $3, will win. Tesla up $130 today, winning. Zoom up $64 today, winning.

Instead of being as insufferable ass 99% of the time, you might take time and read what people (not me) who know more than you write in this thread and learn something. (if possible)

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Someone convince me why I shouldn't sell a bulk of my 401K positions to capture this bounce.

I only have 3 index mutual funds (Total US, Total International and Total Bonds) with an 80/20 allocation and am fairly certain the market will continue dropping especially with the unemployment numbers on Friday. I would sell 50% or more (probably equities only) and then begin to slowly buy back the positions over time. Yes, I could miss a bounce or two, but it seems like it would be better in the long run.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Someone convince me why I shouldn't sell a bulk of my 401K positions to capture this bounce.

I only have 3 index mutual funds (Total US, Total International and Total Bonds) with an 80/20 allocation and am fairly certain the market will continue dropping especially with the unemployment numbers on Friday. I would sell 50% or more (probably equities only) and then begin to slowly buy back the positions over time. Yes, I could miss a bounce or two, but it seems like it would be better in the long run.
Because it's about time in the market, and not timing the market?