The Infamous Cell Phone Spam Calls Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa

Something needs to be done about this. I get BS often and many times they start with the first three digits of my phone number (new trickery they're using). I never answer and get the automated voice mails.

One of my work colleagues came out of his office yesterday saying he's had three calls today saying the IRS has issued a warrant for his arrest. I've had those before too. I'm not much for government regulations, but the FCC needs to step it up.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I hate how they can redirect the number to show up with your area code and even from your city. I get resort spam calls weekly and answer thinking it might be someone important.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Download the Hiya app. It will put a label such as "Spam Caller" on your caller ID so you know which calls to ignore.
Google Pixel 2 has something similar built in. when the phone rings the whole screen turns red and on the phone says "Suspected Spam Call" after the call it gives you the option to block the number and report it

1522439992120.png

Feb 5, 2008
T-Town
I hate how they can redirect the number to show up with your area code and even from your city. I get resort spam calls weekly and answer thinking it might be someone important.
It's not just scammers doing this, I got a call the other day that said it was from Ketchum, OK. It was freaking Sirius XM - they will not leave me alone since I chose not to renew my service with them. They are obnoxious as hell. But I was surprised they were spamming phone numbers.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
It's not just scammers doing this, I got a call the other day that said it was from Ketchum, OK. It was freaking Sirius XM - they will not leave me alone since I chose not to renew my service with them. They are obnoxious as hell. But I was surprised they were spamming phone numbers.
I boy. I did that recently myself.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Get this bs at least 3-4 times a day, easy fix. If the number isn't in my contacts list the call goes to v/m. If it is legit they will leave a message, then you can decide whether it warrants a call back. Just my way to deal with it

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I used to just ignore any number that I did not recognize, figuring if it was important, they would leave a message. That worked out just fine, but I'm currently unemployed and looking for work so I HAVE to answer every call that comes in just in case. My favorite one is the recording that starts out "this is not a sales call...." Yeah, BS....it most certainly is a sales call.

Feb 25, 2008
I've been waiting for doctors to call back - and referrals from other doctors that I don't know their phone numbers, so have to answer.

This was more fun when there was a human on the other end that you could talk with and see if you could get them to hang up first. Robots are no fun.

OrangeCrush

Territorial Marshal
Oct 26, 2004
Gateway to the High Plains
If I get a human on the line and have time, I try to screw with them. I act like I can't hear them a couple times then tell them it sounds like they have a cock in their mouth. They either hang up or get all pissed and start calling me a mf'er and a whole bunch of other crap.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If I get a human on the line and have time, I try to screw with them. I act like I can't hear them a couple times then tell them it sounds like they have a cock in their mouth. They either hang up or get all pissed and start calling me a mf'er and a whole bunch of other crap.
And you then just end up on more lists.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The rare times when I get an actual real person calling I usually just tell them I already have what they are selling.

"sir, if somebody gave you a free security system, wouldn't you use it?"
"I already have a security system that I don't pay for, but thanks anyway"

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
And you then just end up on more lists.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
THIS! Drives me insane every time an obvious spam number calls my wife's phone and she decides to be snarky and answer... NOW THEY KNOW YOUR NUMBER IS GOOD... sheesh... And my point is proven when she gets multiple calls a week and I MAYBE get 1 or 2 a month. Because I don't answer numbers that I don't have saved... If it's important they'll leave a message...

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm just excited to see someone else still uses their phone as a phone.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The rare times when I get an actual real person calling I usually just tell them I already have what they are selling.

"sir, if somebody gave you a free security system, wouldn't you use it?"
"I already have a security system that I don't pay for, but thanks anyway"
I always tell them my wife works for (insert name of competitor). They know they can't beat employee deals so they give up.