The Greatest Individual Seasons in College Football History

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
1. Barry Sanders Oklahoma State, 1988
Sanders’s 1988 season started the same way as the previous season—with a kickoff return for a touchdown—and ended 2,628 rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns later (records that still stand to this day). Sanders could not be stopped, leaving defenders flailing in the dust all season. He capped it off with a 222-yard, five-touchdown performance in the Holiday Bowl—and he didn’t even play in the fourth quarter of the game.

https://www.si.com/college-football...er_si&utm_medium=social&utm_source=reddit.com

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Barry played in the 4th quarter of 3 games in 1988: Nebraska, Bedlam, and.... Kansas State. Pre-Snyder Kansas State, back when they used to suck. For some inexplicable reason that game in Manhattan ended up being a shootout.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2013
Pretty sure this is true. Several years ago, okstate.com reposted the radio broadcast audio from all of the 1988 games and I was listening to them while working out in the yard. I had to replay the first series when I was shocked to notice that Barry was not the starter. I've tried to find the audio for the 1988 games again, but seems like they are no longer available or my search skills have diminished.

Nov 8, 2013
Barry played in the 4th quarter of 3 games in 1988: Nebraska, Bedlam, and.... Kansas State. Pre-Snyder Kansas State, back when they used to suck. For some inexplicable reason that game in Manhattan ended up being a shootout.

That's amazing! Only 3 fourth quarters all season? That stat should be shared more frequently.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

That's amazing! Only 3 fourth quarters all season? That stat should be shared more frequently.
Yeah, his records may be broken, but no one will break them the way he did.

Aug 16, 2012

Actually tried to research this for a little while. Gave up.

Not questioning your statement, but while looking for the answer, I came across an old article from the LA Times about Sanders where the former RB coach Shimonek (sp??) was being interviewed. The article states Sanders called the coach in the pressbox toward the end of the third quarter asking to be taken out. The article states he was eventually pulled at the 12 minute mark of the fourth quarter. Did not say if he had any rushing attempts in those three minutes though. Just what I read last night and now I cannot find the article.

Aug 16, 2012
Actually tried to research this for a little while. Gave up.

Not questioning your statement, but while looking for the answer, I came across an old article from the LA Times about Sanders where the former RB coach Shimonek (sp??) was being interviewed. The article states Sanders called the coach in the pressbox toward the end of the third quarter asking to be taken out. The article states he was eventually pulled at the 12 minute mark of the fourth quarter. Did not say if he had any rushing attempts in those three minutes though. Just what I read last night and now I cannot find the article.
Realized this comment is useless without context. This conversation reportedly transpired during the Kansas game which is not one of the game's you listed as him playing in the fourth quarter