the ESPN + thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Just glad I was fortunate enough to be able to attend and not have to deal with the turd called ESPN+. K-State board was killing them for their coverage as well.

Just curious, because of all of the dropped coverage and streaming issues, has anyone tried getting a refund yet?
Since you ordered a month of ESPN+ service, not the game, you probably aren't going to get far with that... Certainly not saying don't try though if it's that important to you.

Nov 23, 2010
We never had any drops, but we are on a gigabit fiber connection to the internet. However, the production crew not being ready when the game resumed is inexcusable. Not sure who's responsibility it is but those camera operators are free-lancers that make $200K+ per year and should be immaculate professionals.
ESPN and presumably other broadcasters have a more cautious standard regarding weather than the NCAA, so they had to wait a little bit longer to get back in position. Apparently also happened in the Utah Wazzu game.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
We never had any drops, but we are on a gigabit fiber connection to the internet. However, the production crew not being ready when the game resumed is inexcusable. Not sure who's responsibility it is but those camera operators are free-lancers that make $200K+ per year and should be immaculate professionals.

I live in the middle of nowhere and the only options I have are a hotspot or satellite internet. Not sure if either would support a live stream without buffering. I'm not very tech savvy either so that doesn't help. I'd like to get a set up for the away wrestling duals before the season gets here though.

Aug 7, 2006
$200k a year? Hahaha... not even close.

It's not like they just forgot to get to their cameras. It was ESPN's policy that kept them from being on their cameras when the game started. They have a longer wait period after the last lightning strike than the players do. The NCAA and broadcasters should probably look to make it all the same, but right now it is what it is. There have been several games where they removed their camera ops while the game was still being played.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I live in the middle of nowhere and the only options I have are a hotspot or satellite internet. Not sure if either would support a live stream without buffering. I'm not very tech savvy either so that doesn't help. I'd like to get a set up for the away wrestling duals before the season gets here though.
I don't think the away duals will be covered by ESPN+, just the home duals

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
$200k a year? Hahaha... not even close.
My source was a set coordinator for ESPN so maybe she's exaggerating/jealous?

Anyhoo, the safety precautions make sense and I retract my statement accordingly.
Yes but with that much money on the line, I think the Big 12 and ESPN can get together and come up with a common safety precaution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 7, 2006
My source was a set coordinator for ESPN so maybe she's exaggerating/jealous?

Anyhoo, the safety precautions make sense and I retract my statement accordingly.
I'm sure there are some who probably making that, depending on their home market, but the majority of them make far less than $200k.

Nov 23, 2010
It looks like the only away dual that will likely be on there is UNI this year.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Ditto

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
On an unrelated note, I have decided to Make a career change.

Jun 23, 2005
ESPN+ is the future of OSU athletics, whether we like it or not. Men's BB has 10 games on ESPN+ this year. Women's BB games on network or cable will soon be a thing of the past- 18 ESPN+ games this year! Personally I can't stand it, and I thought the KSU football game last Saturday night was a travesty.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Depends on who your hotspot is through, but it should be able to handle it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
They said during the broadcast that the camera operators have their own agreement (I assume they have a union) that covers how long after a lightning strike until they return to their positions. That amount of time was actually longer than the NCAA rule. Hence they were delayed getting back to their cameras.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I don't remember if it was the OSU the other night or another game I watched on saturday where they did a shoutout to all the camera men where they waved as their names were called. I thought, "man, that would be a cool job." Then I read on here that they made $200k and thought, "Holy s***! That would be an awesome job!"

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I don't remember if it was the OSU the other night or another game I watched on saturday where they did a shoutout to all the camera men where they waved as their names were called. I thought, "man, that would be a cool job." Then I read on here that they made $200k and thought, "Holy s***! That would be an awesome job!"
As was also mentioned, they can make up to $200,000 based on certain factors. As was rightly said, most of them don't make that much.