the ESPN + thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
No they are not a part of the package though, their third tier rights were not part of the deal. So basically we may be the best product they have.
I really hope this is the last time this year they pull this crap. I really hate ESPN and although 5 bucks isn't that big of a deal it's more the principle of not wanting to give them more money than I already do.

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
our esteemed comish said:
"
Q: What sports are we talking about here?
A: Non-revenue ones, mostly. The idea is to give women’s basketball, baseball, softball, wrestling and the like a platform.

But, yes, the eight participating schools will have one football game per season and a combined “upwards of 75” men’s basketball games on ESPN+.

Traditional linear ESPN outlets will continue to air the majority of the football and men’s basketball featured attractions"

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Now that I think about it I think OU's first game was on PPV for like 50 bucks which is actually way worse.
Yeah, the complaint over $5 is pretty ridiculous when you compare to having to pay $50 to watch ONE GAME (with commercials still)... Worst case you get ESPN+ through December and are out $20 for the SEASON. Not that big of a deal IMO.

That aside, if ESPN is trying to pull viewership to ESPN+ they really need to include some access to the ESPN channels as well, even if it's just ESPN and/or ESPN2. They're not going to have a mass herd of subscribers sign up just for the single channel.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Yeah, the complaint over $5 is pretty ridiculous when you compare to having to pay $50 to watch ONE GAME (with commercials still)... Worst case you get ESPN+ through December and are out $20 for the SEASON. Not that big of a deal IMO.

That aside, if ESPN is trying to pull viewership to ESPN+ they really need to include some access to the ESPN channels as well, even if it's just ESPN and/or ESPN2. They're not going to have a mass herd of subscribers sign up just for the single channel.
If only we had a channel dedicated to the conference, like the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, and ACC.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
So far they have shown nothing that we didn’t used to get for free.
You didn't get them for free if you are/were cable subscriber. Your ESPN premium in that bill was more than the cost of ESPN+

I cut the cord years ago, so $5/mo is nothing to me...hence worth it.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
k-state's home opener v. nicholls state was on espn+.

what hurts both our schools is the lost exposure for what should be a great match-up of top 25 teams.

Feb 28, 2010
And everyone complaining about paying $4.99 a month for ESPN + are being beyond ridiculous
$4.99 is no big deal on its own. I already pay ~$90 for Dish to get all the ESPN channels though. Most apps if you have a cable/satellite subscription, you get access to the app for free.

Trying to play the game at a tailgate is another can of worms. I pay another ~$15 to have our tailgater receivers for tailgates. It's simple and works great. Now we have to have a hot spot (more money...) and a streaming device, plus the $5 subscription. I'm going to pay whatever it costs to get the game, but it doesn't mean it doesn't blow. I will say that it worked out fine for McNeese, however the crowd was small. Bigger attendance means more strain on the cell network. Hopefully that doesn't translate to making the game unwatchable.

Mar 11, 2006
You didn't get them for free if you are/were cable subscriber. Your ESPN premium in that bill was more than the cost of ESPN+

I cut the cord years ago, so $5/mo is nothing to me...hence worth it.
The games were not on an ESPN channel. Either Cox produced them or OrangePower Studios produced them and then Cox carried them on their Cox Channel (now YurView)

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
If only we had a channel dedicated to the conference, like the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, and ACC.
It's called Big 12 Now and it's on ESPN+. And it's half-assed done. It's third tier just like all the other conferences, but only 4 teams (Kansas, Kansas State, OSU, and Rapelor). So the only way to see any of the other 12 teams is if they are visiting one of those 4. According to the information they put out, there would be only 4 football games for the entire 2019 season.

Jan 13, 2005
Pretty soon you can get Disney +, Hulu, and ESPN + for like $13. I know I'll be signing up for it. Basically get ESPN+ for free. Too bad that doesn't launch till November.

Nov 23, 2010
Cox carried many soccer games for the last several years. As well as softball and baseball.
What ESPN+ carrying is basically the same package.
Unless they purposely didn't list when games aired on Cox, there were two home soccer games on TV last year. Cox did have several softball games that weren't otherwise picked up.

ESPN+ definitely picked up the home wrestling matches which will be good for all the fans who were complaining those matches were behind a $150/year paywall at Flo. So this seems to be a better package for OSU sports as whole, and I'd assume financially much more lucrative for the athletic department.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
k-state's home opener v. nicholls state was on espn+.

what hurts both our schools is the lost exposure for what should be a great match-up of top 25 teams.
Exactly, after we beat Texas this is what would normally be broadcast TV game. Had ESPN released a schedule of + games pre-season I would have signed up but with this one I’m getting the feeling they will look at ISU vs OSU, kU vs OSU, etc.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Tbh I wish that every game was on espn+. The only reason I have cable is for the thunder and OSU sports. Dont really watch tv for much else. Would rather watch prime or Netflix for movies.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I'm just the opposite. I live in a rural area without cable. My internet is via a mobile hotpot with a limited data plan. Satellite TV or broadcast is what I need for games.