the ESPN + thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I just signed up on apple TV and had a ton of trouble. Took me about 45 minutes to finally get it all to work. I am so glad I didn't procrastinate and try to do it 5 minutes before kick off. That's what I usually do in a situation like this. All my itunes store stuff is linked through my paypal account but this wouldn't accept that as payment. After jumping through a ton of hoops, I finally got it all worked out. Anyway, don't know the answer to your question. Just venting. Still pissed I had to do this on top of what I already pay for my cable bill.
Apple... that's your problem right there....

I signed up online from my PC. Added the app to the Roku. Was up and running in 5 minutes. Luckily I got 2 games for my $5.

Aug 7, 2006
I don't remember if it was the OSU the other night or another game I watched on saturday where they did a shoutout to all the camera men where they waved as their names were called. I thought, "man, that would be a cool job." Then I read on here that they made $200k and thought, "Holy s***! That would be an awesome job!"
It's a hard job to break into and even harder to move up in, especially in Oklahoma. They make decent money, but nowhere near $200k... Maybe in LA or NYC where the rates are a lot higher and there's a constant stream of events, but not here.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/1179099130037182470?s=19
Do we have this assurance for our games as well?

“ESPN is contractually allowed to stream any Big 12 football game it desires on ESPN+, Bowlsby said, but K-State fans can rest easy knowing the Wildcats will be on traditional TV until basketball season.

Taylor said the Big 12 has assured K-State its remaining eight football games will not be on ESPN+.”

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article235629222.html#storylink=cpy

Aug 7, 2006
“I don’t have an answer for you as to why that would be,” Bowlsby said, “probably something was malfunctioning, because the production is exactly the same as they are doing on every other game. At least it’s supposed to be.”

It is nowhere near what you're getting on an average ESPN or FOX broadcast. Maybe half of the production that normally goes into a game is going into these + broadcasts so far. The schools would produce a much better product than what we have gotten from them.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
“I don’t have an answer for you as to why that would be,” Bowlsby said, “probably something was malfunctioning, because the production is exactly the same as they are doing on every other game. At least it’s supposed to be.”

It is nowhere near what you're getting on an average ESPN or FOX broadcast. Maybe half of the production that normally goes into a game is going into these + broadcasts so far. The schools would produce a much better product than what we have gotten from them.
Completely agree. Seemed fairly obvious that there were less cameras, replay was slow, & then the obvious "we're just gonna go to full screen chryon & disappear for an hour or so" topped it all off.

I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall when ESPN evaluated how that broadcast went.

Feb 25, 2008
The reason for the OSU-KSU game being put on ESPN+ was to increase the subscribers to ESPN+. In my opinion once they get what they feel might be the maximum number of subscribers then they will increase the prices.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2019/08/07/big-12-conference-makes-tactical-gamble-with-espn/

Meanwhile, cable continued to take a hit, as it lost four percent of its users during same year-over-year time frame.

Those cable losses are impacting ESPN. According to Disney’s annual report for 2018 (Disney owns ESPN), the network lost two million subscribers in a 12-month period. One story noted that ESPN had lost nearly 12 million viewers from 2013-18.

ESPN reported in February that the fledgling streaming service — which requires a $4.99 per month fee — had passed two million subscribers in less than a year.

Fine, I’ll do the math for you. Two million subscribers times $4.99 per month equals nearly $10 million per month.

Aug 7, 2006
Completely agree. Seemed fairly obvious that there were less cameras, replay was slow, & then the obvious "we're just gonna go to full screen chryon & disappear for an hour or so" topped it all off.

I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall when ESPN evaluated how that broadcast went.
I don't think they really care, honestly. They're not putting a lot of money into this and it's very obvious.

Aug 7, 2006
They don’t care about Big 12 Football except Texas and maybe OU. Basketball may be another matter.
It's not that so much as they bought the content for really cheap and they just don't care to invest anything in it right now.

Basketball will be different because most of those games will be produced by the schools and will be a better show.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
It's not that so much as they bought the content for really cheap and they just don't care to invest anything in it right now.

Basketball will be different because most of those games will be produced by the schools and will be a better show.
Yeah except they did pay quite a bit for last weeks game as it was actually part of the original espn package, not part of the third tier rights package. They specifically moved it over to drive up espn+ usage and hype. Then they go and screw up the delivery of it...

Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
I don't mind most of the non-conf games on ESPN+ but Georgetown, Texas and Iowa State are scheduled for the service, that is ridiculous.

Appearances on BIG 12 NOW/ESPN+ Men's Basketball 2019-2020
Kansas State=14
Kansas=11
OSU=10
Baylor=8
TCU=5
WV=5
Iowa State=4
ou=3
tech=3
Texas=2

Last edited: