The "courage" to mock Jesus Christ ...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 31, 2006
but kowtow to Muslims. But, you knew they'd show this kind of "courage," right? After all, we'll see how many Christian websites threaten to kill them:

May 05, 2010

Comedy Central developing Jesus Christ cartoon

Comedy Central might censor every image of the Prophet Muhammad on "South Park," yet the network is developing a whole animated series around Jesus Christ.

As part of the network's upfront presentation to advertisers, Comedy Central is set to announce "JC," a half-hour show about Christ wanting to escape the shadow of his "powerful but apathetic father" and live a regular life in New York City.

In the show, God is preoccupied with playing video games while Christ, "the ultimate fish out of water," tries to adjust to life in the big city.

"In general, comedy in purist form always makes some people uncomfortable," said Comedy Central's head of original programming Kent Alterman.

When asked if the show might draw some fire, especially coming on the heels of the network's decision to censor the Muslim faith's religious figure on "South Park," Alterman said its too early in the show's development to be concerned about such matters.

"We don't even know what the show is yet," he said.

Like all Comedy Central executives, Alterman declined to address the recent controversy over "South Park," where the network aired a heavily redacted episode after the show's creators were threatened by an extremist Islamic Web site.

"JC" is produced by Reveille ("The Office"), Henrik Basin, Brian Boyle ("American Dad"), Jonathan Sjoberg and Andreas Ohman.

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.c...l-developing-jesus-christ-cartoon-series.html

And, besides, "comedy in purist form always makes some people uncomfortable" ... especially if they're Christians.

FWPoke

An OP OG in the DFDub
A/V Subscriber
Jun 8, 2004
Fort Worth
Why have Christians become such a punching bag in this country? Any other religion gets mocked and the media is in an uproar calling for someone's head for spreading hate. But it's just hunky freaking dory when it's Jesus that is mocked. I don't watch a whole lot of Comedy Central anyway, but now it is officially boycotted.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Why have Christians become such a punching bag in this country? Any other religion gets mocked and the media is in an uproar calling for someone's head for spreading hate. But it's just hunky freaking dory when it's Jesus that is mocked. I don't watch a whole lot of Comedy Central anyway, but now it is officially boycotted.
Jesus kind of said this would happen. Actually he pretty much said this exact thing would happen, that we would be mocked in His name.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
... Maybe someone should call in some death threats.

This is a joke. I don't want to get in trouble. Please don't actually do this.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
That is the reality check for Christians. Christ said we would be mocked because He(Son of God) was mocked. He said we would be hated because He IS hated.

The world cannot accept Christ with grace. They cannot deal with the message about faith.

Ever wonder why EVERY religion debate turns to whethe Christ is the Son of God? You can discuss Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Wicca, or whatever else you want and all of them are ok except Christianity. Why?

I am in the world, but I am not of the world. This world is a dying pathetic place that has subjugated their birthright to sin and corruption.

Tell someone Jesus is the Son of God, and that ONLY through Him can they be saved, and they might just flip out on you. If it weren't true, why is it so painful to hear? Why does is push such a deep button that neither Muhammad or Buddha can touch. Zoroastor falls short.

Mocking Christ started early in His Ministry, and continued during his crucifixion. It continues still today, and the chorus will get louder.

Erick

Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit
Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
That is the reality check for Christians. Christ said we would be mocked because He(Son of God) was mocked. He said we would be hated because He IS hated.

The world cannot accept Christ with grace. They cannot deal with the message about faith.

Ever wonder why EVERY religion debate turns to whethe Christ is the Son of God? You can discuss Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Wicca, or whatever else you want and all of them are ok except Christianity. Why?

I am in the world, but I am not of the world. This world is a dying pathetic place that has subjugated their birthright to sin and corruption.

Tell someone Jesus is the Son of God, and that ONLY through Him can they be saved, and they might just flip out on you. If it weren't true, why is it so painful to hear? Why does is push such a deep button that neither Muhammad or Buddha can touch. Zoroastor falls short.

Mocking Christ started early in His Ministry, and continued during his crucifixion. It continues still today, and the chorus will get louder.
On top of all that, we are told not only to love and be forgiving, but also to share the word. It's not suppose to be in us to give up on other people's salvation. Wouldn't it be easy to say, "Fine, have fun in hell suckers!" But that's not how we are to be.

Jul 31, 2006
Matthew 20:22 - But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.

[23] And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: ...

John 15:20 - Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you
; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

Revelation 2:8 - And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

[9] I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

[10] Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

Agreed. It is very interesting (sometimes scary) to be here right now. Righteousness remains constant yet sin and perversion get worse. The gap is widening. All we can do is continue down the narrow path and not the path(s) of the world, even though they are diverging paths. And when persecution comes (and maybe already has), then we must continue in our faith.

I pray that our faith will not fail, and that love will not fail, and that joy in suffering will not fail.

We should be prepared in our hearts and not surprised by these things. Its easy to get upset about mocking and persecution, but somehow we must continue to love and pray for our enemies.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
My only problem with this stems from the fact they wouldn't allow the same for Muhammad.
True, it's hard to act all edgy if you quite literally pee down your leg as soon as some random dbag makes a veiled threat against South Park.

May 3, 2010
Christians run this country (every politician has to put on a show about being Christian), but yet you guys act as if you're repressed.

Nov 23, 2007
Sooner or later, the TV companies will admit, "OK, we've done everything that can possibly be done. There are simply no plots left for new shows. Now, go outside and play. Or, read a book, or something."

Wait a minute, that sounds like it might make a pretty cool pilot for a new series.

Forget that I typed anything.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Agreed. It is very interesting (sometimes scary) to be here right now. Righteousness remains constant yet sin and perversion get worse. The gap is widening. All we can do is continue down the narrow path and not the path(s) of the world, even though they are diverging paths. And when persecution comes (and maybe already has), then we must continue in our faith.

I pray that our faith will not fail, and that love will not fail, and that joy in suffering will not fail.

We should be prepared in our hearts and not surprised by these things. Its easy to get upset about mocking and persecution, but somehow we must continue to love and pray for our enemies.
Absolutely.

Christians run this country (every politician has to put on a show about being Christian), but yet you guys act as if you're repressed.
No we are not. We are asking a fair question. Why is it ok to attack or mock Christ and not Mohammad?

The answer is simple, mocking Christ won't get you suicide bombed. That is their fear, that is the truth. For all the radicals there are supposedly in the Christian community, it seems no one has anything to worry about here.

You want repression, go to www.persecution.com. That is being truly persecuted.

panhandler62

Territorial Marshal
Mar 26, 2008
Martinsburg, WV
Mocking the religious status quo is generaly well tolerated. Mocking the minority religious expressions tends to come off as bullying.

Objectively there should be no difference but perception usualy favors the underdog. When you then add in the Islamic prohibition towards mockery you get a volitile brew. While Christianity has prohibitions about mockery also; these prohibitions are socialy dead, living on only in the devout.

Taking the Lord's name in vain is the most violent of curses to me; generaly leading to some weeping in my prayer closet later on when I have become angry and acted in this hurtful way, but in the media it is quite acceptable now with terms that are only arbitrarily hurtful being far more heavily censored.

While our society is becoming more ethical in most secular measurements; it is also becoming more secular overall, loosing touch with elements of Christianity that are difficult to translate to purely secular values. I would think that, as christians, rather than complain that this secularly drifting society is persecuting us in some fashion; we should recognize that it is those loosing tough with their spiritual natures who are being persecuted by the short-sighted vista of a material worldview.

Our mission is not to ensure that society is inviting to us; it is to invite society to the body of the church.

Jun 9, 2007
As many of you have already pointed out, Jesus told us to expect these kinds of things, so we shouldn't be taken by surprise. And it's only going to get worse in the years to come, I'm afraid.
But I believe the best way to "fight" this kind of nonsense is not to watch Comedy Central. There are better ways to spend your time.
Better yet, contact the companies that spend advertising dollars on that channel and tell them why you won't be buying their products in the future. Be specific. If those advertising on Comedy Central hear from enough people, they'll find better places to advertise, and Comedy Central will have some problems on their hands. That's how you defeat these people. Money speaks volumes, and if they don't have advertisers for their particular programs, those programs will be cancelled.

Oct 20, 2009
Muslims threatening violence against Christians shows the difference between the two. If a Christian can't get someone to go to Jesus (convert), he weeps for them. If someone will not convert to Islam they cut off your head.