The Conference Realignment Saga... RELIVED!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
About time they had to learn how to have breakfast tailgates: pancakes, bacon, etc.
oh boy..... most college football fans out here, are not from CA... everybody has their own teams, and the sports bars regularly fill up at 9:00 am, depending on who's playing (complete the the bars switching to a "breakfast menu").

Those "early" 11:00 CST games come on at 9:00 am... ESPN Game Day starts well before that.

I'm found myself in a sports bar at 9:00 am way too many times over the years, it's only the last few years where we have more/better TV coverage/options.

Some alumni groups have their own designated bars (like Ohio State and a few others).

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
oh boy..... most college football fans out here, are not from CA... everybody has their own teams, and the sports bars regularly fill up at 9:00 am, depending on who's playing (complete the the bars switching to a "breakfast menu").

Those "early" 11:00 CST games come on at 9:00 am... ESPN Game Day starts well before that.

I'm found myself in a sports bar at 9:00 am way too many times over the years, it's only the last few years where we have more/better TV coverage/options.

Some alumni groups have their own designated bars (like Ohio State and a few others).
Oh man, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you drink... Do you argue with the bartender about your beer not having the advertised ABV?

May 26, 2012
I think if realignment comes up again that an intriguing option would be the big 12 to combine with the sec west and the sec east combining with the acc. Maybe putting Alabama in the east and Missouri in with the west

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I think that the best future model for college football is separate from the NCAA and a European soccer model where the bottom three teams are relegated to a lower division and the top three teams from the lower division are promoted.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Just think...BREAKFAST SCOTCH EVERY SATURDAY!!!!
Where were you at the 1997 Alamo Bowl when my brother and I left the scotch in his garage in Tulsa before driving to San Antonio. It was Sunday and liquor stores were closed, so I was begging for a scotch donation in the hotel lobby. You fellow Cowboys were most gracious, but bourbon drinkers to a man.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I wish OU would have gone to the SEC and we would have gone to the PAC 12. They haven't done much in the SEC, but I am sometimes envious of A&M breaking away and finding its own identity.
Yes, aTm went from a mid-finish Big 12 school to a mid-finish SEC school.
They may get better recruits, but they haven't gotten better results. The two positives THEY (aTm) say are they'd rather get pounded in the SEC than the Big 12 and not have to lose to Texas as often.
And they get more money. Not like it's really helping their program finishes, but I guess they get some scholastic benefit.

ou would have become the SEC version of Michigan -- can't beat the top dog and would get surprised by someone they should have beaten. Still, the gooner fans would have their S...E...C chant to fall back on.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I'm still in favor of a 4 time-zone conference.

Central Florida, San Diego State, a decent team near WVU, and a Mt Team (like BYU, or maybe even a Colorado, Utah or another CA team)

Nation-wide coverage and appeal.... I think it would really make a difference.
Having lived on the west coast a few times, the college experience is no where close to that of the southeast, southwest and midwest.

I can't speak for Oregon and Washington, but west coast college football has too much competition with other things to do, especially in Sandy Eggo and LA. The elitist USC, Stanford, Cal and UCLA don't have the kind of state following as ou, Bama, Texas, LSU, UGA...etc.

When it's gameday in Auburn, AL, Stillwater or Starkville -- there is nothing else that's going to compete with a college football game.
Waking up in LA on a brilliant Fall morning, the choices of what to do where mindboggling. And when an OSU game was on tv, the sports bars may have a tv or two on (if you asked nicely).

My point is, getting a team on the west coast or in Colorado (that isn't CU) won't help our numbers because no one is watching anyway.