The Bernie "That wasn't real soclialism" thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Voting is the right of citizens as stated in the constitution. It would seem you would need to prove you are a citizen to carry out that right. The other constitutional rights don't state citizenship as a precursor to enjoying those rights. You don't have to be a citizen to buy a gun you have to be a citizen to vote. You have to have ID and pass a background check to buy a gun. Why shouldn't you have to prove citizenship and have an ID to carry out a right reserved for citizens.
Where exactly did anyone in this thread say that you should not have to be a citizen and be able to prove you are a citizen to vote?

See, that is just it. You guys know you have no way to defend the actual wrong voter suppression so you simply keep going back to the same old strawman that you have beat the living shit out of trying to avoid the real issue.
I looked up South Carolina law changes for elections and found nothing about eliminating (or having actually) discretion for name spelling.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Where exactly did anyone in this thread say that you should not have to be a citizen and be able to prove you are a citizen to vote?

See, that is just it. You guys know you have no way to defend the actual wrong voter suppression so you simply keep going back to the same old strawman that you have beat the living shit out of trying to avoid the real issue.
You still haven't shown were voter ID is suppression. Your whole argument is showing ID and proving you are a citizen is suppression.
I'll even say, you are off the mark. We are discussing making sure names are spelled correctly.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You still haven't shown were voter ID is suppression. Your whole argument is showing ID and proving you are a citizen is suppression.
Probably has to do with the fact that I never even said voter ID is suppression.

So, do you think that stopping brown people from voting protects them or harms them? It is obvious from your vehement arguments for it that you are in favor of them not getting to. I'm just wondering what is your rationale.
I know it's not the original topic we were discussing, but watch the video I posted up above from Horowitz. Even black people think it's stupid to assume that they can't get ID and prove who they are to vote.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Well, if you look through the conversation, you actually went from saying there is no voter suppression to agreeing with me. But, hey, if it makes you feel better to take credit for it, be my guest.
No if you look at the whole conversation my original statement still stands. Rejecting a vote for misspelled things on an ID is not voter suppression. It can be stupid but it in no way is systematic suppression. It equally affects everyone across all spectrum's. It's a completely random way to deny people the right to vote. What if it's a democrat typing republican names into the rolls. What if it's a republican typing democrats names. It's random chance denying people the vote not intentional suppression. I agree common sense should rule when something is incorrect on the rolls.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
No if you look at the whole conversation my original statement still stands. Rejecting a vote for misspelled things on an ID is not voter suppression. It can be stupid but it in no way is systematic suppression. It equally affects everyone across all spectrum's. It's a completely random way to deny people the right to vote. What if it's a democrat typing republican names into the rolls. What if it's a republican typing democrats names. It's random chance denying people the vote not intentional suppression. I agree common sense should rule when something is incorrect on the rolls.
These are the same false claims that I proved wrong already. You are a fence post.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I looked up South Carolina law changes for elections and found nothing about eliminating (or having actually) discretion for name spelling.

Actually it's North Carolina with the draconian ID laws that got struck down by the courts. You have to keep up with more than the conversation to know whats going on. Can't believe Steross didn't call me on that. Maybe he really didn't know. His whole argument is about NC laws that got struck down. I'm not even sure they were ever used in an election. That's why I think he's playing devils advocate.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
These are the same false claims that I proved wrong already. You are a fence post.
Wow down to name calling, you proved nothing of the sort. Last names are all over the spectrum with crazy spelling white people are probably worse than minorities in that category until you get in to actual immigrants whose name is in a foreign language. Most of the inner city people that are the ones claiming to be oppressed have pretty traditional last names.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Wow down to name calling, you proved nothing of the sort. Last names are all over the spectrum with crazy spelling white people are probably worse than minorities in that category until you get in to actual immigrants whose name is in a foreign language. Most of the inner city people that are the ones claiming to be oppressed have pretty traditional last names.
You simply keep repeating the same things even though they are wrong. Why are you "probablying" this when it already happened and the data showing who was affected is not what your guess is?

Because you don't actually want to know the truth. You like your fantasy world were everything conservative is for the better and everything liberal is for the worse. Of course, black and white like that is virtually never true. But, that has never stopped people from staying delusional.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

I only ever even mentioned South Carolina as a joke "You misspelled South Carolina" (he wrote South Africa).

Instead of searching your hardest to find some nugget to prove something I say wrong, why don't you try having a look at the entire issue objectively. I agree with you guys saying that people that can't even get any type of ID can't prove who they are therefore should not vote as that allows fraud. But, that does not mean that politicians do not take things farther than that and try to prevent people from voting. It is simply a naive position.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
You simply keep repeating the same things even though they are wrong. Why are you "probablying" this when it already happened and the data showing who was affected is not what your guess is?

Because you don't actually want to know the truth. You like your fantasy world were everything conservative is for the better and everything liberal is for the worse. Of course, black and white like that is virtually never true. But, that has never stopped people from staying delusional.
Depends if you read the study carried out by the right or the left. The studies were political and came to preconceived conclusions. They are all total BS.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybe...-id-laws-dont-decrease-voter-turnout-n2541344

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/arti...d-north-carolina-voter-id-laws-suppress-votes

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I only ever even mentioned South Carolina as a joke "You misspelled South Carolina" (he wrote South Africa).

Instead of searching your hardest to find some nugget to prove something I say wrong, why don't you try having a look at the entire issue objectively. I agree with you guys saying that people that can't even get any type of ID can't prove who they are therefore should not vote as that allows fraud. But, that does not mean that politicians do not take things farther than that and try to prevent people from voting. It is simply a naive position.
You were talking about places where minorities were being killed in the streets. South Africa was the only place I could think of but you corrected me by pointing out it must be happening in SC.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Depends if you read the study carried out by the right or the left. The studies were political and came to preconceived conclusions. They are all total BS.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybe...-id-laws-dont-decrease-voter-turnout-n2541344

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/arti...d-north-carolina-voter-id-laws-suppress-votes
Who gives a crap about two "studies" done about a subject we are not even talking about?

Hey, turns out the studies done that show that Tamiflu helps with influenza were falsified to sell pills. Also irrelevant to the topic.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
You were talking about places where minorities were being killed in the streets. South Africa was the only place I could think of but you corrected me by pointing out it must be happening in SC.
Gee, finally after all these posts you got me. Saying that people were being shot out back of polling places in South Carolina was not factually correct. Bravo, you should be proud that after that many posts I have to concede that my joking sarcasm was factually not true, sort of like nearly all of your posts.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Actually it's North Carolina with the draconian ID laws that got struck down by the courts. You have to keep up with more than the conversation to know whats going on. Can't believe Steross didn't call me on that. Maybe he really didn't know. His whole argument is about NC laws that got struck down. I'm not even sure they were ever used in an election. That's why I think he's playing devils advocate.
I saw a North Carolina law that required one of 5 types of ID, and that was struck down. But I don't remember anything about names being such a big issue. Fairly certain that provisional ballots were part of how they were to deal with the problems.

Last edited:

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I saw a North Carolina law that required one of 5 types of ID, and that was struck down. But I don't remember anything about names being such a big issue. Fairly certain that provisional ballots were part of how they were to deal with the problems.

And CMA's that can't properly transcribe names are proof voter suppression is real. That was a classic.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

And CMA's that can't properly transcribe names are proof voter suppression is real. That was a classic.
That's racist!