The Bernie "That wasn't real soclialism" thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
How Does Bernie Pay for His Major Plans?

Details

College for All and Cancel Student Debt
It will cost $2.2 trillion to make public colleges, universities and trade schools tuition-free and to cancel all student debt over the next decade. It is fully paid for by a modest tax on Wall Street speculation that will raise an estimated $2.4 trillion over ten years. Click here to read the plan.

Expanding Social Security
Bernie’s bill to expand Social Security will increase benefits for low-income senior citizens and people with disabilities by more than $1,300 a year. It is fully paid for by making the wealthiest 1.8 percent of Americans – those with incomes over $250,000 a year – pay the same rate into Social Security as working families.
This bill will also extend the solvency of Social Security into the year 2070 – ensuring that Social Security can pay every benefit owed to every eligible American for the next 50 years.
Click here to read the plan.

Housing for All
Bernie’s proposal to guarantee housing as a human right and to eliminate homelessness will cost $2.5 trillion over the next decade. It is fully paid for by a wealth tax on the top one-tenth of one percent – those who have a net worth of at least $32 million. (Bernie’s wealth tax will raise a total of $4.35 trillion.)
Click here to read Bernie's plan to tax on extreme wealth.

Universal Childcare/Pre-K
Bernie’s proposal to guarantee universal childcare and pre-school to every family in America who needs it will cost $1.5 trillion. It is fully paid for by a wealth tax on the top 0.1 percent – those who have a net worth of at least $32 million. (Bernie’s wealth tax will raise a total of $4.35 trillion.)
Click here to read the tax plan.

Eliminating Medical Debt
Bernie has introduced a proposal to eliminate all of the $81 billion in past due medical debt held by 79 million Americans. It is fully paid for by establishing an income inequality tax on large corporations that pay CEOs at least 50 times more than average workers. .

Green New Deal
The $16.3 trillion climate change proposal that Bernie has introduced will fundamentally transform our energy system away from fossil fuel and towards energy efficiency and renewable energy. It will also create 20 million good-paying union jobs in the process.
It is fully paid for by:
  • Raising $3.085 trillion by making the fossil fuel industry pay for their pollution, through litigation, fees, and taxes, and eliminating federal fossil fuel subsidies.
  • Generating $6.4 trillion in revenue from the wholesale of energy produced by the regional Power Marketing Administrations. This revenue will be collected from 2023-2035, and after 2035 electricity will be virtually free, aside from operations and maintenance costs.
  • Reducing defense spending by $1.215 trillion by scaling back military operations on protecting the global oil supply.
  • Collecting $2.3 trillion in new income tax revenue from the 20 million new jobs created by the plan.
  • Saving $1.31 trillion by reduced the need for federal and state safety net spending due to the creation of millions of good-paying, unionized jobs.
  • Raising $2 trillion in revenue by making large corporations pay their fair share of taxes.
Key Points:
  • By averting climate catastrophe we will save: $2.9 trillion over 10 years, $21 trillion over 30 years and $70.4 trillion over 80 years.
  • If we do not act, the U.S. will lose $34.5 trillion by the end of the century in economic productivity.

Medicare for All
According to a February 15, 2020 study by epidemiologists at Yale University, the Medicare for All bill that Bernie wrote would save over $450 billion in health care costs and prevent 68,000 unnecessary deaths – each and every year.

Since 2016, Bernie has proposed a menu of financing options that would more than pay for the Medicare for All legislation he has introduced according to the Yale study.

These options include:
  • Creating a 4 percent income-based premium paid by employees, exempting the first $29,000 in income for a family of four.
In 2018, the typical working family paid an average of $6,015 in premiums to private health insurance companies. Under this option, a typical family of four earning $60,000, would pay a 4 percent income-based premium to fund Medicare for All on income above $29,000 – just $1,240 a year – saving that family $4,775 a year. Families of four making less than $29,000 a year would not pay this premium.
(Revenue raised: About $4 trillion over 10 years.)
  • Imposing a 7.5 percent income-based premium paid by employers, exempting the first $1 million in payroll to protect small businesses.
In 2018, employers paid an average of $14,561 in private health insurance premiums for a worker with a family of four. Under this option, employers would pay a 7.5 percent payroll tax to help finance Medicare for All – just $4,500 – a savings of more than $10,000 a year.
(Revenue raised: Over $5.2 trillion over 10 years.)
  • Eliminating health tax expenditures, which would no longer be needed under Medicare for All.
(Revenue raised: About $3 trillion over 10 years.)
  • Raising the top marginal income tax rate to 52% on income over $10 million.
(Revenue raised: About $700 billion over 10 years.)
  • Replacing the cap on the state and local tax deduction with an overall dollar cap of $50,000 for a married couple on all itemized deductions.
(Revenue raised: About $400 billion over 10 years.)
  • Taxing capital gains at the same rates as income from wages and cracking down on gaming through derivatives, like-kind exchanges, and the zero tax rate on capital gains passed on through bequests.
(Revenue raised: About $2.5 trillion over 10 years.)
  • Enacting the For the 99.8% Act, which returns the estate tax exemption to the 2009 level of $3.5 million, closes egregious loopholes, and increases rates progressively including by adding a top tax rate of 77% on estate values in excess of $1 billion.
(Revenue raised: $336 billion over 10 years.)
  • Enacting corporate tax reform including restoring the top federal corporate income tax rate to 35 percent.
(Revenue raised: $3 trillion ,of which $1 trillion would be used to help finance Medicare for All and $2 trillion would be used for the Green New Deal.)
  • Using $350 billion of the amount raised from the tax on extreme wealth to help finance Medicare for All.

This is your movement.
No one candidate, not even the greatest candidate you could imagine, is capable of taking on Donald Trump and the billionaire class alone. There is only one way we win — and that is together. Add your name to tell Bernie you’re in!
Email Address*
Zip Code*
Phone Number (optional)
Add Your Name!
Mobile alerts from Bernie 2020. Periodic messages. Bernie 2020 will never charge for these updates, but carrier message & data rates may apply. Text STOP to 67760 to stop receiving messages. Text HELP to 67760 for more information. Terms & Conditions

LEARN

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Details

It will cost $2.2 trillion to make public colleges, universities and trade schools tuition-free and to cancel all student debt over the next decade. It is fully paid for by a modest tax on Wall Street speculation that will raise an estimated $2.4 trillion over ten years. Click here to read the plan.

Bernie’s bill to expand Social Security will increase benefits for low-income senior citizens and people with disabilities by more than $1,300 a year. It is fully paid for by making the wealthiest 1.8 percent of Americans – those with incomes over $250,000 a year – pay the same rate into Social Security as working families.
This bill will also extend the solvency of Social Security into the year 2070 – ensuring that Social Security can pay every benefit owed to every eligible American for the next 50 years.

Housing for All
Bernie’s proposal to guarantee housing as a human right and to eliminate homelessness will cost $2.5 trillion over the next decade. It is fully paid for by a wealth tax on the top one-tenth of one percent – those who have a net worth of at least $32 million. (Bernie’s wealth tax will raise a total of $4.35 trillion.)

Bernie’s proposal to guarantee universal childcare and pre-school to every family in America who needs it will cost $1.5 trillion. It is fully paid for by a wealth tax on the top 0.1 percent – those who have a net worth of at least $32 million. (Bernie’s wealth tax will raise a total of $4.35 trillion.)

Eliminating Medical Debt
Bernie has introduced a proposal to eliminate all of the $81 billion in past due medical debt held by 79 million Americans. It is fully paid for by establishing an income inequality tax on large corporations that pay CEOs at least 50 times more than average workers. .

Green New Deal
The $16.3 trillion climate change proposal that Bernie has introduced will fundamentally transform our energy system away from fossil fuel and towards energy efficiency and renewable energy. It will also create 20 million good-paying union jobs in the process.
It is fully paid for by:
  • Raising $3.085 trillion by making the fossil fuel industry pay for their pollution, through litigation, fees, and taxes, and eliminating federal fossil fuel subsidies.
  • Generating $6.4 trillion in revenue from the wholesale of energy produced by the regional Power Marketing Administrations. This revenue will be collected from 2023-2035, and after 2035 electricity will be virtually free, aside from operations and maintenance costs.
  • Reducing defense spending by $1.215 trillion by scaling back military operations on protecting the global oil supply.
  • Collecting $2.3 trillion in new income tax revenue from the 20 million new jobs created by the plan.
  • Saving $1.31 trillion by reduced the need for federal and state safety net spending due to the creation of millions of good-paying, unionized jobs.
  • Raising $2 trillion in revenue by making large corporations pay their fair share of taxes.
Key Points:
  • By averting climate catastrophe we will save: $2.9 trillion over 10 years, $21 trillion over 30 years and $70.4 trillion over 80 years.
  • If we do not act, the U.S. will lose $34.5 trillion by the end of the century in economic productivity.

Medicare for All
According to a February 15, 2020 study by epidemiologists at Yale University, the Medicare for All bill that Bernie wrote would save over $450 billion in health care costs and prevent 68,000 unnecessary deaths – each and every year.

Since 2016, Bernie has proposed a menu of financing options that would more than pay for the Medicare for All legislation he has introduced according to the Yale study.

These options include:
  • Creating a 4 percent income-based premium paid by employees, exempting the first $29,000 in income for a family of four.
In 2018, the typical working family paid an average of $6,015 in premiums to private health insurance companies. Under this option, a typical family of four earning $60,000, would pay a 4 percent income-based premium to fund Medicare for All on income above $29,000 – just $1,240 a year – saving that family $4,775 a year. Families of four making less than $29,000 a year would not pay this premium.
  • Imposing a 7.5 percent income-based premium paid by employers, exempting the first $1 million in payroll to protect small businesses.
In 2018, employers paid an average of $14,561 in private health insurance premiums for a worker with a family of four. Under this option, employers would pay a 7.5 percent payroll tax to help finance Medicare for All – just $4,500 – a savings of more than $10,000 a year.
  • Eliminating health tax expenditures, which would no longer be needed under Medicare for All.
  • Replacing the cap on the state and local tax deduction with an overall dollar cap of $50,000 for a married couple on all itemized deductions.
  • Taxing capital gains at the same rates as income from wages and cracking down on gaming through derivatives, like-kind exchanges, and the zero tax rate on capital gains passed on through bequests.
  • Enacting the For the 99.8% Act, which returns the estate tax exemption to the 2009 level of $3.5 million, closes egregious loopholes, and increases rates progressively including by adding a top tax rate of 77% on estate values in excess of $1 billion.
  • Enacting corporate tax reform including restoring the top federal corporate income tax rate to 35 percent.
(Revenue raised: $3 trillion ,of which $1 trillion would be used to help finance Medicare for All and $2 trillion would be used for the Green New Deal.)
  • Using $350 billion of the amount raised from the tax on extreme wealth to help finance Medicare for All.

This is your movement.
No one candidate, not even the greatest candidate you could imagine, is capable of taking on Donald Trump and the billionaire class alone. There is only one way we win — and that is together. Add your name to tell Bernie you’re in!
Email Address*
Zip Code*
Phone Number (optional)
Add Your Name!
Mobile alerts from Bernie 2020. Periodic messages. Bernie 2020 will never charge for these updates, but carrier message & data rates may apply. Text STOP to 67760 to stop receiving messages. Text HELP to 67760 for more information. Terms & Conditions

LEARN
I see the word "tax/taxes" and "free" a lot in there. I don't think those 2 words work well together.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Bernie is going to be tough to beat in the primary. He's got the RNC, the Russian government and last but probably least, his own campaign organization working for him.
If Bernie wins the nomination, the Dems have only themselves to blame. They have been pushing entitlement, wealth gap and the evils of capitalism for a long time now. Who the hell did they think their base would start coalescing around if not a died in the wool commie.

Listen to their interviews, even today, with Bernie pulling ahead, they still can't stop pushing the same narrative that has allowed Bernie to become relevant in the first place.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
If I screwed up and put my name wrong on the registration, then I shouldn't be allowed to vote. And I have a rare enough name that no one could think it wasn't me. That is not racist or disenfranchising. That is making sure you fill out the paperwork properly. And the election board should also be able to help you do that when you register.

What if the person that transcribed your unusual name to the voter role screwed up, should you still not be allowed to vote? Sure, correct the issue, but the death penalty on your right to vote? Absurd.
Why do you feel a minor transcription error should take away one of the fundamental rights of citizenship? As a veteran who went to fight for that right, I think your attitude is disgusting, personally.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
He didn't say misspell it in the check.

I was the one that came up with the analogy, not him. He doesn't get to change MY analogy and you defending him changing it shows that you care about "winning" not truth.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If every Bernie supporter was forced to live a week or two in Cuba, his support would drop off to near zero less than a week after they got back.
But but but sanctions...,. That's all I hear from Bernie Bros. They don't get it that embargoes didn't cause shortages for the poor. The rich elite Communists were already taking most of the stuff for themselves. And like literacy program make up for killing large groups of people that don't agree with you. Saw someone argue the other day that Cuba had free cancer treatments...... Umm hate to tell you honey, but they don't got the poor. The poor are lucky if they get a sheet on their hospital bed to die on. Even the elites don't get most modern cancer treatments in Cuba because they don't have doctor's with the knowledge.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If I screwed up and put my name wrong on the registration, then I shouldn't be allowed to vote. And I have a rare enough name that no one could think it wasn't me. That is not racist or disenfranchising. That is making sure you fill out the paperwork properly. And the election board should also be able to help you do that when you register.

What if the person that transcribed your unusual name to the voter role screwed up, should you still not be allowed to vote? Sure, correct the issue, but the death penalty on your right to vote? Absurd.
Why do you feel a minor transcription error should take away one of the fundamental rights of citizenship? As a veteran who went to fight for that right, I think your attitude is disgusting, personally.
Death penalty? You just register again with the correction. Or put in a provisional ballot in most states. And now you think all election officials are incompetent. You really have a low view of people.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
A misspelled name is not racist. Unless you are trying to insinuate that minorities are ignorant and can't spell their own names while looking at an id? And why would you say spelling errors are more likely to be Democrats? That makes no sense either, unless once again, you think most Democrats are incapable of spelling their own names.

I'm not insinuating anything. You are wanting so bad to be right even though you are wrong that you are not listening or thinking.

Lets say it is your job to create the voter role. You have these names:

Bob Edward Smith
Qwanisha Yvonne Johnson
Suriawati Prayut Pinyosinwat
Pannika Wanich
Hervé Guillermo Hernandes
Mishelle Reyes Rodriguez-Hernandez

You tell me which names you are more likely to misspell on the voter roll?

And, it doesn't matter what you tell me as there is already data that shows that these spelling laws affect minorities far more.

See, you can have racism without even wanting or thinking that you are racist. When I was at OSU, a sociology professor gave us a pop quiz that nearly everyone in the class failed. Except the two African-American students who both got nearly every answer right. The test was normal question and not unfair in meethod, it was just slanted to where they would have the knowledge and ability to score better.

But, go ahead are respond with whatever "But, but, all you have to do is......" excuse to keep thinking the way you do. As I already said, you aren't going to convince me the data I have seen is wrong. And, unfortunately, I've learned that despite evidence people like you will not change your mind. So, it is what it is. But, back o my original point. Things like this will hurt the parties that do it. There are a few of us left that actually put country before party. Yea, everyone says it, but your actions speak far louder than your words.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Death penalty? You just register again with the correction. Or put in a provisional ballot in most states. And now you think all election officials are incompetent. You really have a low view of people.

Death penalty to that vote, obviously.

I never said I think election officials are incompetent. I am going by the DATA of what happens when these laws are put in place. As I said, you will keep up the excuses and petty insults while I look at data and neither of us will change the other one's mind.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Hmmmm. I think my name is mis-spelled on the voter roles at least 10 or 20 or 30 times. I want all 10 or 20 or 30 of my votes counted.

There have to be rules. Accurate and valid ID is not too much to ask for a CITIZEN that wants to exercise their most precious and important right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I was the one that came up with the analogy, not him. He doesn't get to change MY analogy and you defending him changing it shows that you care about "winning" not truth.
Now see he did bring up misspelling or using somebody else's name on the check to send it in and it wouldn't matter to the government, but if they misspelled on the documents it's a problem. Then you deflected and went right on to the check analogy that really had no bearing on the issue. The official government documents, the IRS tax forms, don't work. If you misspell the names they get kicked back.

You just seen to think all people are ignorant and can't spell their own names or notice when someone misspells it when being handed a voter ID card.
All you have to do is make sure and have the election board official state "here's your voter ID card, verify the information, make sure that it matches everything on your state ID and you're good to go". It's really not that hard.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

you're really just being petty about this and that's pretty sad that you can't just see that you really are wrong. Common Sense dictates that most people should be able to spell their own name and if you think black people can't you are racist. the number of people who would be affected by mistakes is so minuscule that it doesn't make a difference and they can get it corrected and vote if they really feel they want to. It's not an imposition and it's really normal activity for an everyday person that when there's something that's wrong you correct it and move on with your life.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
A misspelled name is not racist. Unless you are trying to insinuate that minorities are ignorant and can't spell their own names while looking at an id? And why would you say spelling errors are more likely to be Democrats? That makes no sense either, unless once again, you think most Democrats are incapable of spelling their own names.

I'm not insinuating anything. You are wanting so bad to be right even though you are wrong that you are not listening or thinking.

Bob Edward Smith
Qwanisha Yvonne Johnson
Pannika Wanich

And, it doesn't matter what you tell me as there is already data that shows that these spelling laws affect minorities far more.

See, you can have racism without even wanting or thinking that you are racist. When I was at OSU, a sociology professor gave us a pop quiz that nearly everyone in the class failed. Except the two African-American students who both got nearly every answer right. The test was normal question and not unfair in meethod, it was just slanted to where they would have the knowledge and ability to score better.

But, go ahead are respond with whatever "But, but, all you have to do is......" excuse to keep thinking the way you do. As I already said, you aren't going to convince me the data I have seen is wrong. And, unfortunately, I've learned that despite evidence people like you will not change your mind. So, it is what it is. But, back o my original point. Things like this will hurt the parties that do it. There are a few of us left that actually put country before party. Yea, everyone says it, but your actions speak far louder than your words.
So you think that if I'm looking at a voter ID registration and somebody's ID next to it and I'm unable to compare the two and make sure they're spelled the same then I'm racist?

Wow.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Bob Edward Smith
Qwanisha Yvonne Johnson
Pannika Wanich

And what evidence. You haven't shown me any evidence. plain and simple it's not that hard to write what is on an ID card onto a voter registration card and if the person who owns that ID card can't write their own name properly or I can't look at that ID card and registration and compare them and make sure they got it right that doesn't insinuate racism. That insinuates that somebody doesn't know how to read and if nothing else the election officials should be able to read.
My last name is of Germanic / Prussian descent. And most people get it wrong if I try to just tell them the name. That doesn't make them bigoted towards German people. What that does is it means that they can't read my ID if they're trying to make sure that my ID and my registration card don't match.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Hmmmm. I think my name is mis-spelled on the voter roles at least 10 or 20 or 30 times. I want all 10 or 20 or 30 of my votes counted.

There have to be rules. Accurate and valid ID is not too much to ask for a CITIZEN that wants to exercise their most precious and important right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. And if your name is incorrect and you can prove who you are your vote as a citizen is still counted. It is not that there should be no correction. It is that the penalty for the error should not be loss of vote.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

Details

Housing for All

Eliminating Medical Debt

Green New Deal
It is fully paid for by:
Key Points:

Medicare for All

These options include:

This is your movement.
Email Address*
Zip Code*
Phone Number (optional)
Add Your Name!

LEARN
Biggest smoke and mirrors pipe dream I've ever seen. :derp:

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
And what evidence. You haven't shown me any evidence. plain and simple it's not that hard to write what is on an ID card onto a voter registration card and if the person who owns that ID card can't write their own name properly or I can't look at that ID card and registration and compare them and make sure they got it right that doesn't insinuate racism. That insinuates that somebody doesn't know how to read and if nothing else the election officials should be able to read.
My last name is of Germanic / Prussian descent. And most people get it wrong if I try to just tell them the name. That doesn't make them bigoted towards German people. What that does is it means that they can't read my ID if they're trying to make sure that my ID and my registration card don't match.

The evidence is out there. I will not be wasting my time showing it to you because I already know that you will either ignore it or claim it doesn't matter for some other excuse.
Whether it should be hard or not is irrelevant to the fact that it is used as an excuse to prevent some people from voting. You think that either an election worker/volunteer or citizen making a spelling error is a valid reason to take away a fundamental right. I don't. The rest of this is just fluff so that you can avoid that truth.
Nobody is claiming the person that misspells an unusual name is bigotted. Seriously, that is just dumb to even bring us and shows that you know you have lost the true debate so you are adding fluff. Anytime you use the word "insinuate" I know that means "I can't beat what you said, so I am gonna try to flip the discussion to what I want it to mean."

Again, I do not think that a misspelling on anyone's part should forfeit the cherished right to vote. IT should simply be correct. You DO think it should forfeit the right to vote. None of the other nonsense you are blabbering about matters other than that simple fact.