The Athletic’s Seth Davis: Buy, Sell, or Hold?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Buy, sell or hold? Let the Hoop Th...s-texas-longhorns/?source=user_shared_article

“Oklahoma State

HTSR: Buy
Vitals: 7-3, No. 38 KenPom

There are two popular misconceptions about the Cowboys. The first is that they are a one-man team, that man being 6-8 freshman point guard Cade Cunningham, the Big 12’s leading scorer at 18.7 points per game. The second is that because they are under a one-year postseason ban the Pokes have nothing to play for. The truth is, Cunningham is surrounded by a quality group, most notably 6-5 junior guard Isaac Likekele, who ranks in the top 10 in the league in assists (3.7) and rebounds (8.1), and rapidly improving 6-2 senior guard Bryce Williams, a transfer from Ole Miss. As for the second, the NCAA has yet to rule on Oklahoma State’s appeal, and if it doesn’t do so by the time the tournament comes around, the Pokes will be in the bracket. That aside, Oklahoma State looked plenty motivated in notching two quality nonconference road victories at Marquette and Wichita State and winning at Texas Tech in overtime on Saturday. Monday night’s home loss to West Virginia was highly disappointing, but the Cowboys still have home games coming up against Kansas and Baylor, so if you hop on this stock now you’ve got a chance to turn a quick profit.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Maybe more interesting is the blurb on some conference opponents as we know what’s happening with our own team:

“Oklahoma

HTSR: Sell
Vitals: 6-2, No. 43 KenPom

The Sooners are not a bad team, but with road games coming up against Kansas and Baylor I’d say this stock has peaked. Give Oklahoma credit for catching West Virginia at the right time on Saturday, but this is the same team that lost by 22 points at Xavier and by two to Texas Tech at home two weeks ago. Senior forward Brady Manek is a tough matchup, but OU’s leading scorer, 6-5 senior Austin Reaves, is a streaky shooter, and neither is a candidate to make anyone’s all-defense team. The Sooners are particularly bad at defending the 3-point line, ranking 321st in the country and last in the Big 12 at defending the arc.”

And

“Texas

HTSR: Buy
Vitals: 7-1, No. 4 AP, No. 6 KenPom

It might seem foolish to buy a team that has been rocketing up the ranking and just handed Bill Self his worst home loss at Kansas, but I think the Longhorns are a legitimate threat to Baylor in the Big 12. Consider that they took the Jayhawks to the woodshed despite only getting five points from their one-and-done freshman forward, Greg Brown. This team is terrific defensively (fourth nationally in efficiency), has veteran guards, and a pair of spring-legged big men in 6-10 senior Jericho Sims and 6-11 sophomore Kai Jones, who can both score at the rim as well as protect it. Most of all, I like the vibes around this team. The Longhorns have come through the adversity of last season, when it appeared Shaka Smart was coaching for his job down the stretch, and emerged a tough, mature, cohesive team with something to prove.”

And

“Texas Tech

HTSR: Sell
Vitals: 8-3, No. 18 AP, No. 14 KenPom

It speaks volumes about the job Chris Beard has done in Lubbock that his Red Raiders’ reputation is exceeding their performance, but that’s where we are. Texas Tech entered the season at No. 14 in the AP poll, but it’s January and its best win was by two points at Oklahoma. The only top-100 KenPom team Texas Tech played in the nonconference was Houston, and the Red Raiders lost by 11. They played very well against Kansas at home on Dec. 17 but couldn’t close the deal and lost, 58-57, and then on Saturday they lost at home in overtime to Oklahoma State. Georgetown transfer Mac McClung has been an offensive fireplug as expected (15.0 points), but the team’s other prized transfer, 6-7 senior forward Marcus Santos-Silva, who came from VCU, hasn’t had as big an impact as expected. And while I tend to lean into teams that have freshmen with potential, I haven’t seen evidence that Beard’s two high-profile signees, Micah Peavy and Nimari Burnett, are ready to break through.”

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
2021 NBA Mock Draft: Cade Cunningha...prospect-rankings/?source=user_shared_article

Paywalled article.

Just to follow up on the a The Athletic article post, Sam Vecenie still has Cade at his number 1 prospect. Not going to post the whole thing because he didn’t really update the Cade post as he focused on other prospect write ups who actually had movement on his board and the break down isn’t breaking down too much on Cade’s performance at OSU. But this is important to note as he left this in:

“As mentioned above, I love the talent at the top of the 2021 NBA Draft. It’s a considerably deeper draft within the top half of the lottery than the 2020 iteration was. And yet, I still think of it as “The Cade Cunningham Draft” at this stage. He’s not only one of the best prospects I’ve evaluated at the high school level, but also one of my favorite players to watch. Everything about Cunningham looks likely to translate at a high level in the NBA, and he gets better every time I see him.”

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Okay Sam did a full update to his mock draft, yesterday might have been a premature publishing and today is the fresh content:

2021 NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Jalen Sugg...vecenie-mock-2-0-cade-cunningham-jalen-suggs/

“1. Oklahoma City Thunder

Cade Cunningham | 6-7, lead ballhandler | 19 years old, freshman | Oklahoma State

Cunningham remains at the top for me, and he’s still in a tier of his own on my personal board. He’s carrying Oklahoma State on his back to a 7-2 record, and the team’s two losses are by a combined four points. There simply isn’t anything he doesn’t do. He runs the show as the Cowboys’ lead ballhandler. He knocks down shots off the dribble and off the catch. He doesn’t have the best first step, but he has great strength, creativity and coordination that allows him to get to his spots as a ballhandler. He defends. Only two concerns have even remotely popped up about Cunningham so far, and I think they’re largely due to the team around him. He hasn’t been the best finisher inside, but that’s largely because opponents collapse three players onto him constantly on his drives. Second, his passing numbers aren’t quite as elite as anticipated, but that’s because his teammates are shooting 31 percent from 3 around him and missing assist opportunities. Basically, Cunningham has been exactly as advertised thus far and is worthy of the No. 1 overall pick.”

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Okay Sam did a full update to his mock draft, yesterday might have been a premature publishing and today is the fresh content:

2021 NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Jalen Suggs ascends in unique landscape https://theathletic.com/2300300/2021/01/08/2021-nba-mock-draft-prospects-sam-vecenie-mock-2-0-cade-cunningham-jalen-suggs/

“1. Oklahoma City Thunder

Cade Cunningham | 6-7, lead ballhandler | 19 years old, freshman | Oklahoma State

Cunningham remains at the top for me, and he’s still in a tier of his own on my personal board. He’s carrying Oklahoma State on his back to a 7-2 record, and the team’s two losses are by a combined four points. There simply isn’t anything he doesn’t do. He runs the show as the Cowboys’ lead ballhandler. He knocks down shots off the dribble and off the catch. He doesn’t have the best first step, but he has great strength, creativity and coordination that allows him to get to his spots as a ballhandler. He defends. Only two concerns have even remotely popped up about Cunningham so far, and I think they’re largely due to the team around him. He hasn’t been the best finisher inside, but that’s largely because opponents collapse three players onto him constantly on his drives. Second, his passing numbers aren’t quite as elite as anticipated, but that’s because his teammates are shooting 31 percent from 3 around him and missing assist opportunities. Basically, Cunningham has been exactly as advertised thus far and is worthy of the No. 1 overall pick.”
Bingo.

We want him to do it all, but he needs at least a little help.