The 2018 Masters

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Amen. Rickie has won very few tournaments. I am his biggest fan, but he is not elite other than his lifestyle, demeanor and ambassadorship for OSU. His golf record is better than CHIII, but not a whole lot. Mucho dinero, but few wins.
He is elite. He's been top 10 in the world for 4 years. Top 5 many times . Top 8 last 3 years. He's elite right now, people just don't know what the he'll they are talking about.

Now, do we want him to win a major? Yes! Does he need too? Yes! He's crazy talented. He is like a young Phil Mickelson.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
He is elite. He's been top 10 in the world for 4 years. Top 5 many times . Top 8 last 3 years. He's elite right now, people just don't know what the he'll they are talking about.

Now, do we want him to win a major? Yes! Does he need too? Yes! He's crazy talented. He is like a young Phil Mickelson.
I am not citing just the lack of a major. This is his 9th year on tour with 4 PGA wins, a Scottish Open and Abu Dhabi. I do know what the hell I am talking about. He always ranks high, but to date lacks that intangible that the big winners have.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I am not citing just the lack of a major. This is his 9th year on tour with 4 PGA wins, a Scottish Open and Abu Dhabi. I do know what the hell I am talking about. He always ranks high, but to date lacks that intangible that the big winners have.
I guess it's perspective. He's elite right now in present day. To be elite in golf history he has to win a major. If that's what your saying I agree. he has won some. Needs to win more but is top 10 in the world. May be we agree on alot actually.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
There is no doubt that Rickie is elite statistically, but the fact is he doesn't win much. His 2014 record of top 5 in all four majors is one of the best performances ever, but no cigar. He has lost 5 times with 54 hole leads. PULEEESE don't take this as knocking him. He is my favorite player, but I got rapped a couple years ago for citing my opinion that he has an uphill battle due to his physical size. He has to swing more from the heels than the guys who are much larger. I think this leads to the occasional errant shot at crunch time that leads to a disaster hole. I'll be glued to my set as long as he is competitive this weekend.

Aug 16, 2012
Rickie needs to win more. Yes, he has dozens of top 5 or top 10 finishes, but other than FedEx points and cash, that does not define an elite golfer. I caught "Feherty" with him, Jack Nicklaus and one of tennis' Bryan brothers (forget which one). Nicklaus all but said Rickie has the tools but needs to work on mental approach, in particular treating the majors as "just another tournament" as Rickie stated he did. Jack said Rickie needs to recognize the significance of the majors and approach them with heightened importance. To me, that is the worst part of his game.

He does not take chances all that much, but he seems to struggle more than he should with course management. Just because you can make a shot, does not mean that is the shot to take. Last week is a perfect example. He was tied for the lead coming to the 18th in the second round. Instead of hitting a 3 on the 18th like so many others had done, he pulls out the Cowboy, trying to stretch it for all it was worth, ends up hitting it off the fairway and bogeys the hole when a par would have kept him tied for the lead, a birdie would have given to him outright. Cannot say if that affected him, but in the following two rounds he dropped from the lead to finish T-43rd. Seems most tournaments have him in contention early, only to have "that hole" which drops him and often snowballs.

Despite what he has done, in 2018, it is clear he is struggling. The oddest part, this is coming on the heels of his final round 61 at the Hero World Challenge in December which is a non-official PGA event.

Right now (2018), he is 56th in shots gained off the tee, 30th in shots gained on approach, 85th in shots gained around the green (usually in the top-5), 102nd in putting, 33rd in tee-to-green and 42nd in total shots gained. He is 46th in driving accuracy, 114th in driving distance. Missed the cut at the Honda Classic, a tournament with a fixed course, which he won by four strokes last year, and has dropped all the way down to 31st in FedEx Cup points...If the FedEx Cup Finals were held right now, he would miss it.