The 2018 Bedlam & Flame Thread For Football to Help Not Have So Many Sidebar Threads

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Hey.. Lets try and keep a 2018 football thread going. The sidebar threads are great, but we need a thread to keep things on topic. So, I'll be that guy that gets things going.

Sooners - This sounds really encouraging for the defense. I know y'all have been real excited about that side of the ball.

https://twitter.com/TheGreat_Nate/status/1031600926371590144

osuwhit

A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Depth is there that’s for sure. There’s pieces everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He didn’t act like there was depth.

Toke is stoked for the secondary.. I thought LBs were supposed to be strong? At least that’s what I think I recall from the sooner chatter late last year.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark

Toke is stoked for the secondary.. I thought LBs were supposed to be strong? At least that’s what I think I recall from the sooner chatter late last year.
There’s depth everywhere right now. It seems like they have the 1s in mind but people are nicked up in camp and they can’t get em all on the field at the same time. The only guys we’ve lost for the season on defense are true or redshirt freshmen. From everything I’ve read the defensive depth chart is pretty much solidified except for safety.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark

I’m excited for the whole crew. LB will be strong. Kenneth Murray and Caleb Kelly will be on the field all three downs at Mike and Will. There’s gonna be a new Jack now that Obo is gone, but Mark Jackson and Addison Gumbs are battling that out. Gumbs is apparently a freak of nature. No idea about Sam.

There’s a lot of returning strength and extra depth on the D line. Gallimore and Kenneth Mann I’m really excited about. Ronnie Perkins has garnered some major attention for being a true freshman.

We got enough depth at corner that we moved a solid corner to safety. Norwood, Brown and Motley are very exciting. Bookie has earned nothing but praise since he walked into campus and he’s gonna find a spot on the field.

Safety is my biggest concern. It’s tough to replace both in one offseason, even though there’s tough competition at both positions. You need good safety play in this league.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Good to know...which ones? Out of curiosity.
There's been a lot of talk about Kenneth Murray stepping up. He played last year as a true freshman and had a bit of a hard time being in the right position to make the play. He said he's watched the Rose Bowl over 100 times during the offseason so he'll be coming in with a chip on his shoulder. He also came to Big 12 media day looking like a man among boys. We'll see though how it translates to the field.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
The LBers will be good but i think OU's secondary is going to surprise people. I think they are pretty solid & I hope Bookie is as advertised, if so he'll be a fan favorite

osuwhit

A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Mike Stoops says they're having trouble getting lined up right and they lack continuity. I did not pick up on any confidence or enthusiasm from Mike Stoops in that interview.

Look.. y'all have sucked bad on defense for a while now. And trust me, I'm an OSU fan, I understand suck at defense well. I highly encourage you to go ahead and accept the fact that y'all will suck again. Or, at the very least, temper your defensive expectations, if you will. Simply, go in with no expectations for defense.

I drank the koolaid for far too long on the defensive side of the ball. We have a new DC and he looks to be the right hire, but our defense won't be good until they are. So, I'll believe it when I see it. Last year I went in expecting to suck on defense. It made the pill easier to swallow. But if y'all like choking it down, by all means, help yourself.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
boy, that's the kind of confidence you want exuding from your DC......... that would have me a little worried if i was a soonie (which i thank GOD everyday that i'm not)

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I thank Satan daily for my being a Sooner fan. It's pretty fun!

I just pretend stoops doesnt exist, most everyone else does. Just ignore him and eventually he'll go away. We'll find out real quick where the D is at

osuwhit

A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
I thank Satan daily for my being a Sooner fan. It's pretty fun!

I just pretend stoops doesnt exist, most everyone else does. Just ignore him and eventually he'll go away. We'll find out real quick where the D is at
LOL That's pretty much the exact approach my OU buddy is taking.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Oklahoma’s biggest advantage is they can change. They can recruit better and have. They can get a top flight coordinator and have one waiting in the wings with Diaco.

Riley’s taking all the steps necessary to right the ship on defense and even special teams. There’s nothing but optimism in this camp.