That didn’t take long. Player tests positive for Covid

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Riley has told them to quarantine themselves at home for 2 weeks prior to showing up on campus.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Riley... :lol: Because after 3 months of already being in "quarantine", the players will definitely "quarantine" the two weeks before leaving home and going back to school.

Riley has to be banging his head against the wall after being out played by Gundy on this topic.

Gundy definitely played this correctly.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Riley... :lol: Because after 3 months of already being in "quarantine", the players will definitely "quarantine" the two weeks before leaving home and going back to school.

Riley has to be banging his head against the wall after being out played by Gundy on this topic.

Gundy definitely played this correctly.
The hand wringers in the media may not agree, but I think so.

And he did it without taking his shirt off.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
The OU players show up on July 1st and test positive, they are possibly out until July 15th.
True.....but still puts them on schedule for preseason fall camp, which is by far the most important thing... so again...i just don't see a big advantage. We're simply talking about a 2 week difference. If their entire team tested positive...sure I could see it that way in terms as a big advantage, but if just a few, not that big of a deal IMO.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
True.....but still puts them on schedule for preseason fall camp, which is by far the most important thing... so again...i just don't see a big advantage. We're simply talking about a 2 week difference. If their entire team tested positive...sure I could see it that way in terms as a big advantage, but if just a few, not that big of a deal IMO.
I’d say voluntary workouts prior to preseason fall camp make a pretty big difference. I highly doubt any of these players got in the same standard of workouts they do during the on-campus voluntary workouts they get with the S&C coaches.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I’d say voluntary workouts prior to preseason fall camp make a pretty big difference. I highly doubt any of these players got in the same standard of workouts they do during the on-campus voluntary workouts they get with the S&C coaches.
Never said it didn't make a difference. I'm talking about the timeline. June 15th vs July 1 isn't some kind of monumental difference IMO. It's literally a 2 week difference. No one in college football is getting a complete full summer workout regime it's all a moot point IMO.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Never said it didn't make a difference. I'm talking about the timeline. June 15th vs July 1 isn't some kind of monumental difference IMO. It's literally a 2 week difference. No one in college football is getting a complete full summer workout regime it's all a moot point IMO.
2 weeks is a big deal, after 2 weeks the body has adjusted to the conditioning schedule and they will be able to focus practicing rather than getting back in shape.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
....have you ever endured those types of workouts for two weeks straight? It’s a bigger difference than you think.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
....have you ever endured those types of workouts for two weeks straight? It’s a bigger difference than you think.
actually yes....they’re going to ease kids into their typical workout regime. Not like they’re going to be full throttle out of the gate. like I said having 2 week head start isn’t going to make or break a season, especially considering its “voluntary”.

Kids that have been in the program won’t have any problems adjusting. Now if you’re relying heavy on a freshman class, I could see it as a big deal. Don’t think lifting for 2 weeks ahead of OU is going to pay dividends come bedlam or playing Texas for that matter.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
actually yes....they’re going to ease kids into their typical workout regime. Not like they’re going to be full throttle out of the gate. like I said having 2 week head start isn’t going to make or break a season, especially considering its “voluntary”. Kids that have been in the program won’t have any problems adjusting. Now if you’re relying heavy on a freshman class, I could see it as a big deal. Don’t think lifting for 2 weeks ahead of OU is going to pay dividends come bedlam.
I tend to agree with you

Not necessarily because I don't think the 2 weeks aren't a big deal, but more so because OSU plays Oregon State on September 3rd

OU's first Power Five opponent is 9 days later on September 12th.

So....
OSU has, in essence, 9 fewer days to be ready for the season.

I know OU plays Missouri State on September 5th, but it's highly unlikely their starters will be pushed much.

Last edited:

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I tend to agree with you

Not necessarily because I don't think the 2 weeks aren't a big deal, but more so because OSU plays Oregon State on September 3rd

OU's first Power Five opponent is 9 days later on September 12th.

So....
OSU has, in essence, 9 fewer days to be ready for the season.

I know OU plays Missouri State on September 5th, but it's highly unlikely their starters will be pushed much.
dont get me wrong, I’m not dismissing the workouts, just having 2 week head isn’t a huge deal. Does it help....sure! Does it make a monumental difference...IMO no!!! Do I think it will cost any team bringing their kids in July the season? No!!! Still comes down to the jimmy and joes.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
dont get me wrong, I’m not dismissing the workouts, just having 2 week head isn’t a huge deal. Does it help....sure! Does it make a monumental difference...IMO no!!! Do I think it will cost any team bringing their kids in July the season? No!!! Still comes down to the jimmy and joes.
And lets not pretend many guys havent been working out

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
actually yes....they’re going to ease kids into their typical workout regime. Not like they’re going to be full throttle out of the gate. like I said having 2 week head start isn’t going to make or break a season, especially considering its “voluntary”.

Kids that have been in the program won’t have any problems adjusting. Now if you’re relying heavy on a freshman class, I could see it as a big deal. Don’t think lifting for 2 weeks ahead of OU is going to pay dividends come bedlam or playing Texas for that matter.
I didn’t say it would make or break a season, necessarily...although it could if a team has a big game right out of the gate and plays a team that has that extra two weeks of conditioning.

The adjustment period is part of the two weeks. It, despite your belief, is an adjustment even for returning players. Everything being pushed back by two weeks will have some effect.

You may not think that effect is large enough to make a difference but late in the 4th quarter of a close game during week 1, I’m willing to bet teams will want those two weeks.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I didn’t say it would make or break a season, necessarily...although it could if a team has a big game right out of the gate and plays a team that has that extra two weeks of conditioning.

The adjustment period is part of the two weeks. It, despite your belief, is an adjustment even for returning players. Everything being pushed back by two weeks will have some effect.

You may not think that effect is large enough to make a difference but late in the 4th quarter of a close game during week 1, I’m willing to bet teams will want those two weeks.
Returning players adjustment isn’t that big as you think. Most of these high level athletes train literally year round. When they go home, they work with their personal trainer staying in shape. The drop off is minimal when they return. You’re not going to convince me that this is that big of a deal. I’ve had players tell after a year of college, things get much easier and their ability to adapt is much quicker than compared to first arriving on campus. In terms of week 1, I’m more looking for which team can execute their plays better as well as who’s more disciplined. Week 1 games tend to be sloppy due to lack of execution. Offense lacks continuity and defense is a step slow on communication. Teams tend to also commit more penalties in game 1 due to mental lapses. Also maybe, a handful of teams are matching up on the 1st week of college football.

If this were two weeks of actual practice time where they're installing, running plays...I’d buy into that, but literally two week difference of "volunteer", not mandatory workouts..nope!! Most of these high level D1 level athletes aren’t sitting at home eating chips and drinking soda all day. Besides a lot of these strength coaches have been sending them workouts plans, protein bars and powders as well as other nutritional supplements. Most kids have access to gyms whether high school or gym membership now and can perform most of not all their exercises given. Is it the same....no because it’s hard for most to replicate the tempo when you’re with your S&C coaches...Can they still gain muscle and mass....yes!! I don’t see it as a big deal as you do!

Last edited:

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Returning players adjustment isn’t that big as you think. Most of these high level athletes train literally year round. When they go home, they work with their personal trainer staying in shape.
Sorry, I stopped here. If you actually think even just a quarter of these kids have personal trainers then there’s no reason to continue this discussion.

Go look at their twitter/Instagram accounts to see how they’ve been trying to keep in shape.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Sorry, I stopped here. If you actually think even just a quarter of these kids have personal trainers then there’s no reason to continue this discussion.

Go look at their twitter/Instagram accounts to see how they’ve been trying to keep in shape.
Of course you stopped...personal trainers is what they call them. Now are they’re personal trainers like you see at your local gym...no, They’re former players that coach and train the youth. They work with players ranging from high school to professional either individually or groups. Lots of players work with these type of people and it’s all over social media. Some of these guys have their own Home gym and allow access to college athletes. Lots of players from OU and OSU have worked out at knight sports performance in Edmond...they weights to work out with.
Advice....don’t believe everything on social media. Gundy having his players back 2 weeks earlier isn’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things IMO, but if you want to continue to hype it up be my guest. A lot of these players have had more access to workout equipment than you think whether it’s locally or staying with teammates.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Let alone the kind of nutrition help they get by being able to eat at the training table.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Returning players adjustment isn’t that big as you think. Most of these high level athletes train literally year round. When they go home, they work with their personal trainer staying in shape. The drop off is minimal when they return. You’re not going to convince me that this is that big of a deal. I’ve had players tell after a year of college, things get much easier and their ability to adapt is much quicker than compared to first arriving on campus. In terms of week 1, I’m more looking for which team can execute their plays better as well as who’s more disciplined. Week 1 games tend to be sloppy due to lack of execution. Offense lacks continuity and defense is a step slow on communication. Teams tend to also commit more penalties in game 1 due to mental lapses. Also maybe, a handful of teams are matching up on the 1st week of college football.

If this were two weeks of actual practice time where they're installing, running plays...I’d buy into that, but literally two week difference of "volunteer", not mandatory workouts..nope!! Most of these high level D1 level athletes aren’t sitting at home eating chips and drinking soda all day. Besides a lot of these strength coaches have been sending them workouts plans, protein bars and powders as well as other nutritional supplements. Most kids have access to gyms whether high school or gym membership now and can perform most of not all their exercises given. Is it the same....no because it’s hard for most to replicate the tempo when you’re with your S&C coaches...Can they still gain muscle and mass....yes!! I don’t see it as a big deal as you do!
Protein bars and powder don't make up for the kind of things you get at the training table. And as far as workouts, most gyms including public school gyms have been closed to everybody until just recently in most states and in many states they still aren't open. So you're talking about working out at home only because there is no access to the gyms.

You can also say that these kids are used to having to go home and exercise but that's usually during breaks between semesters and is not usually three to four months long.

Also can we do away with this misnomer of the word volunteer/voluntary? They've used that word for at least a decade now with it meaning nothing because you know they are expected to be there.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Protein bars and powder don't make up for the kind of things you get at the training table. And as far as workouts, most gyms including public school gyms have been closed to everybody until just recently in most states and in many states they still aren't open. So you're talking about working out at home only because there is no access to the gyms.

You can also say that these kids are used to having to go home and exercise but that's usually during breaks between semesters and is not usually three to four months long.

Also can we do away with this misnomer of the word volunteer/voluntary? They've used that word for at least a decade now with it meaning nothing because you know they are expected to be there.

true the training table is one of the benefits of having them back. Let’s not act like they’re not getting fed at home. But for the kids that need to take weight off, the training table is invaluable. When they go home from break, they’re typically training, now their training for 3-4 months with trainers. A lot of these young men have been getting quality work. I seen it first hand. These guys stay in shape year round. They come back to campus without losing a step for the most part. All I simply said was I don’t think there’s a big advantage between June 15th and July 1...literally talking about 2 weeks and players have July and August to get in shape. 8 weeks is well enough time for these athletes to get in shape IMO.

in terms of gyms...if you think these kids haven’t had access to gyms at their HS, or a home gym by either a friend or a trainer, you’re a tad naive. Most kids have been weight training whether it’s through a friend or friends of another friend. Hell Spencer sanders had been staying with Carson Kropp working out with him and brenden Evers. A lot of players have staying together during this time. Since may, a lot of the kids have had access to local gyms so that’s false.

last, the term voluntary has not been used for the last decade. Don’t know where you got that BS from, but it’s been tern “mandatory” for June unless your HS graduates later in June thus reporting in July ( ex Deondrick Glass). Believe or not, there is some parents that are concerned due to the pandemic. Maybe not at OSU, but at other schools, parents have concerns and are hesitant. Don’t know why but hey...it’s their child so can’t blame them. I’m under the assumption everyone will report, but the coaches aren’t forcing them to be here.

Last edited: