That didn’t take long. Player tests positive for Covid

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
Sounds like the Pokes and Gundy were very smart about this. Bring them in early. Test them. Quarantine those that have virus and provide proper medieval attention if needed. Be ready to start workout for other. In two weeks the ones with virus can rejoin.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
Sounds like the Pokes and Gundy were very smart about this. Bring them in early. Test them. Quarantine those that have virus and provide proper medieval attention if needed. Be ready to start workout for other. In two weeks the ones with virus can rejoin.
Let's hope they have better techniques now than bloodletting. Based on the article in USA Today below it doesn't sound like bringing them in early was all that great of an idea because now they are saying stay away.

"Additionally, freshman players who were initially scheduled to move in this weekend were notified by email or text message that their report date has been delayed until further notice, two sources told The Oklahoman."

I'll probabaly get banned for using an article that is contrary to the beliefs on this board. I've already been warned about starting fights on here. Always thought it took two to tango but apparently the mods only have eyes for me. Oh well, if this is goodbye, I know I will be missed.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
Let's hope they have better techniques now than bloodletting. Based on the article in USA Today below it doesn't sound like bringing them in early was all that great of an idea because now they are saying stay away.

"Additionally, freshman players who were initially scheduled to move in this weekend were notified by email or text message that their report date has been delayed until further notice, two sources told The Oklahoman."

I'll probabaly get banned for using an article that is contrary to the beliefs on this board. I've already been warned about starting fights on here. Always thought it took two to tango but apparently the mods only have eyes for me. Oh well, if this is goodbye, I know I will be missed.
Sounds to me it was a great idea. Bringing players in a different times with goal of starting June 15th. Have correct and working protocols to identify players with the virus, even without symptoms, and isolate and care for them until they are well. The school down south could learn from us.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
How do they know it was from the Tulsa protest and he hasn't had it all along and was just asymptomatic?
Boasted is talking about the on the radio right now. They don’t but he believes that was said so that anyone he came in contact with will know.
He worded his tweet very weird, but that's what I assume also. Mainly because there's no way he would test positive 2 days after the protest.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
How do you contract trace someone who went to a mass protest? I know and work with some good folks who also went to that protest, what should I do? Is it irresponsible to do nothing? Honestly don't know and don't have any desire to impose upon the freedoms of my staff...if they were to have to quarantine I'd also have to do it. Just expressing that it's nearly impossible to contact trace and quarantining everyone when someone has participated in a mass protest. Crazy times, hope Amen get's well asap. He seems to be a very good person and not just player. God Speed.
Just a guess, but I would bet that the tracing that will be done is within the people he has been in contact with in Stillwater. It is likley he contracted the virus at the protest, but the school is going to do its due diligence with anyone who tests positive and covering all the bases they can just in case he contracted it somewhere other than where they think it did happen.
There's no way he contracted it at the protest and tested positive so quickly.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I know it's a small sample size of 150 tested... but 3? Makes you wonder, since all were asymptomatic... how long have they actually had the virus but never showed any symptoms? What are the chances that it's more of a ~10%ish of people that carry the virus, and have carried it for months without showing any signs of illness?

I'm definitely curious if you tested a large number of the population, how many would come back positive?
Could also be that they are actually over it and the test is picking up antibodies instead?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Wait, were they supposed to have already moved in, or this coming weekend? Ikard made it sound like they were supposed to be in on Monday. Which means they would not have known about Amen's positive test yet.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas

They only put a hold on the freshmen arriving. Very little chance of these guys playing meaningful minutes, so let them stay home for now. Had everyone tested negative, they could have brought them in too. Have the players you need there. That is just smart.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
How do you contract trace someone who went to a mass protest? I know and work with some good folks who also went to that protest, what should I do? Is it irresponsible to do nothing? Honestly don't know and don't have any desire to impose upon the freedoms of my staff...if they were to have to quarantine I'd also have to do it. Just expressing that it's nearly impossible to contact trace and quarantining everyone when someone has participated in a mass protest. Crazy times, hope Amen get's well asap. He seems to be a very good person and not just player. God Speed.
Just a guess, but I would bet that the tracing that will be done is within the people he has been in contact with in Stillwater. It is likley he contracted the virus at the protest, but the school is going to do its due diligence with anyone who tests positive and covering all the bases they can just in case he contracted it somewhere other than where they think it did happen.

There definitely is a way. The period of time to test positive after exposure to a contagious viral load is 2-14 days. It more often than not is the shorter end of that range.

Apr 7, 2006
The encouraging thing is that we're now in a position to systematically deal with people carrying the virus - which will make the players safer in the long run since they'll be following protocols AND those affected will have time to quarantine and get medical exams prior to 2 a days. I applaud Gundy and the entire athletic depth for getting things back to normal, but while also improving the lives of the players in the process.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Amen O is getting some attention on national news. I've seen him on 2 of the networks. Not saying he did anything so good or bad, just that he went to a demonstration and showed up with the woo.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So actually having them on Campus and testing them is light years better than what our neighbors to the south are doing...some could even say that perhaps they are "little brother" in this instance...because they aren't dealing with the issue but rather putting it off until tomorrow...So if they even do test their players it's not going to be until July 1st? Then quarantining after that? Go Pokes!

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

There definitely is a way. The period of time to test positive after exposure to a contagious viral load is 2-14 days. It more often than not is the shorter end of that range.
I don't think I've read anything about Covid that confirms testing positive that quick. But if you say so.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
So actually having them on Campus and testing them is light years better than what our neighbors to the south are doing...some could even say that perhaps they are "little brother" in this instance...because they aren't dealing with the issue but rather putting it off until tomorrow...So if they even do test their players it's not going to be until July 1st? Then quarantining after that? Go Pokes!
Riley has told them to quarantine themselves at home for 2 weeks prior to showing up on campus.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I don't think I've read anything about Covid that confirms testing positive that quick. But if you say so.

From the CDC:
Quarantine means separating a person or group of people who have been exposed to a contagious disease but have not developed illness (symptoms) from others who have not been exposed, in order to prevent the possible spread of that disease. Quarantine is usually established for the incubation period of the communicable disease, which is the span of time during which people have developed illness after exposure. For COVID-19, the period of quarantine is 14 days from the last date of exposure because the incubation period for this virus is 2 to 14 days. Someone who has been released from COVID-19 quarantine is not considered a risk for spreading the virus to others because they have not developed illness during the incubation period.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

From the CDC:
Quarantine means separating a person or group of people who have been exposed to a contagious disease but have not developed illness (symptoms) from others who have not been exposed, in order to prevent the possible spread of that disease. Quarantine is usually established for the incubation period of the communicable disease, which is the span of time during which people have developed illness after exposure. For COVID-19, the period of quarantine is 14 days from the last date of exposure because the incubation period for this virus is 2 to 14 days. Someone who has been released from COVID-19 quarantine is not considered a risk for spreading the virus to others because they have not developed illness during the incubation period.
But does that mean there's enough in their system for them to test positive that quickly?

Oct 30, 2007
This issue could be a fairly common issue over the next few weeks as student athletes return to campus. The logistics of college athletics over the next year could be a nightmare.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/cor...cle_28574620-7563-576a-b984-0021ae6f1c15.html
Third Marshall student-athlete tests positive for COVID-19
HUNTINGTON — A third Marshall University student-athlete has tested positive for COVID-19, following mass testing protocols the school established for those returning to campus for voluntary workouts.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-quarantined-coronavirus-covid-19/3133205001/
Four Iowa State athletes quarantined while waiting for COVID-19 results
Four student-athletes from two different sports at Iowa State are in quarantine and awaiting COVID-19 test results after experiencing symptoms and being in close contact with individuals outside of the athletics department who have been infected by the virus, the school announced Wednesday.