That didn’t take long. Player tests positive for Covid

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Best course of action is expose all players now and thus by June 15th they will all be full of antibodies and ready to go for the full season.
Not sure if serious.

The likelihood of someone in this age category developing really dire consequences is relatively small, but it is there. Can you imagine if we intentionally exposed them all and one out of the 85 + died or took it home to the family and they had serious complications?

Gundy's name would no longer be associated with the rant or the mullet.

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Just an FYI: asymptomatic people can pass on the virus.

I hope this works as best as possible for the team, staff, and university.
Agreed. 3 is better than 5 though. And if the experts were actually expecting more positive tests, then that tells me they were probably expecting that it was contracted prior to coming to campus. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that more people who have it are unaware that they do than those that know. Now the players who tested positive will have access to top notch medical care

PontiacPoke717

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
I know it's a small sample size of 150 tested... but 3? Makes you wonder, since all were asymptomatic... how long have they actually had the virus but never showed any symptoms? What are the chances that it's more of a ~10%ish of people that carry the virus, and have carried it for months without showing any signs of illness?

I'm definitely curious if you tested a large number of the population, how many would come back positive?

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Are we surprised? These are 18-22 year old alpha males. They weren’t just sitting at home knitting during the stay at home orders. We are kidding ourselves if we think so. When they have an opportunity to go out they are going to take it

But they are young and will recover fast. They are better off in a structured environment that is provided on college campuses. I think Gundy was right all along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
We need to remember the protocols were put in to place to slow the spread of the virus, not prevent it. Also, community testing by UCLA and Stanford med schools in their respective counties determined that far more people have had the the virus and carry the anti-bodies than were estimated - about 50 times as many as were estimated for those counties. Most had shown little or no symptoms and did not believe they had been exposed.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Not sure if serious.

The likelihood of someone in this age category developing really dire consequences is relatively small, but it is there. Can you imagine if we intentionally exposed them all and one out of the 85 + died or took it home to the family and they had serious complications?

The point being similar to others who have stated the obvious.

You can't trace everyone that Amen came in contact with at the protest. You can't trace everyone that those people came in contact with.

It's enviable that at some point everyone will be exposed. Better to do it knowingly, with monitoring, and help than let it happen randomly.

Feb 18, 2009
Agreed. 3 is better than 5 though. And if the experts were actually expecting more positive tests, then that tells me they were probably expecting that it was contracted prior to coming to campus. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that more people who have it are unaware that they do than those that know. Now the players who tested positive will have access to top notch medical care
What is the incubation time of the virus to show a positive on a test? Seems it wouldn't be instantaneous and would need so time to infect the host.
I'm old enough to remember when it was a two week incubation period, minimum 20-30% infection rates and minimum 4% death rates.

Be careful guys, this entire thread will get moved soon to the non sports board because we're talking virus again. Even if it does affect the athletes.

Sep 23, 2010
Sounds like all 3 who have it are fine, thankfully and somewhat predictably. And the hopes are that is the way it stays. I wonder if our medical staff are putting these guys through extensive physicals, trying to find any co-morbidities that would make them more vulnerable to symptoms.

Nov 18, 2010
Not sure if serious.

Here we go with the doom-filled speculation again.

Imagine if everyone gets it and everyone dies! Sit around and imagine it! Sit around and think about everyone dying all day! It might get you too! It could kill us all!

I don't envy the amount of FEAR some of you guys carry around with you every day of your lives. It's got to be exhausting.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Not sure if serious.

Imagine if everyone gets it and everyone dies! Sit around and imagine it! Sit around and think about everyone dying all day! It might get you too! It could kill us all!

I don't envy the amount of FEAR some of you guys carry around with you every day of your lives. It's got to be exhausting.
Are the coaching staff, administration, and health officials not tasked to consider exactly the scenarios he laid out?

Look, I'm not saying any of that will or won't happen. But it at least has to be considered, right?

Not that we're the ones to make any determinations on the subject, but this forum exists to discuss it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

This demonstrates that you have enough of a life that you haven't been tracking my posts too closely.

People are going to contract this thing, but that last thing OSU needs is to look like they are facilitating or doing it intentionally. I'm all for trying to return to our normal lives as much as possible but there's no need to accept this virus as inevitable and go looking for it. That's irresponsible and if someone did die, liable.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Seems like Gabe was off by 2

https://twitter.com/KKlintworth/status/1268195155041030145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Are the coaching staff, administration, and health officials not tasked to consider exactly the scenarios he laid out?

Look, I'm not saying any of that will or won't happen. But it at least has to be considered, right?

Not that we're the ones to make any determinations on the subject, but this forum exists to discuss it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
One of the sceneries they planed for has played out, I believe they have planned for others including pulling the plug on a game or the season if needed.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
One of the sceneries they planed for has played out, I believe they have planned for others including pulling the plug on a game or the season if needed.
Oh, I totally agree. I'm sure they've prepared for all of the above. I was just referring to the other posters assertion of "doom-filled speculation."

The athletic department has to be prepared for even the worst case scenario.