Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 16, 2019
Punta Gorda, Florida
So we should just get rid of him and flush the highest recruit to ever come to Stillwater? You do realize that would set us back another three years AT LEAST. Coach B has been tasked with reviving a basically dead program, a tall order considering so many fans didn't want hime to be the coach in the first place. I'm sure not happy with the way this year is going so far, but calling for his dismissal at this point is just crazy talk
Seriously, a dead program, the year before he took over we were a tourney team. We lost our first game at the dance, it was a heck of a game. The next year, when B takes over. We were very competitive at times. We beat Kanasa twice, should have been a tourney team. Last year was a poor year and this year is looking to be a dumpster fire.

Coach B has lost 5 recruits to either, stealing, shooting up cars, accused of rape, failed drug test. One recruit left voluntarily and he dismissed 1 player for repeated failed drug test.

If there is a lack of talent or upperclassmen on this team....Its on Coach B!

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Dead programs aren’t going to the NCAA Tournament 4 out of 5 years. That’s what Boynton took over, a program that had been to the Big Dance 4 out of the previous 5 years.

Was the program in some disarray and instability when he took over? Sure, but let’s not pretend that he took over a hopeless and dead program. That’s just inaccurate.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
There's no excuse good enough to explain how bad team has played for the last month+. Simply put, Mike isn't getting it done.

That said, it's too early to make a change and Cunningham is definitely his get out of jail free card.

As bad as its been, I keep telling myself its still only mid January, there is time for a turnaround, even though it seems unlikely.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I’m not defending HCMB but he is severely hampered right now with guys he can out on the floor.

Me, I’d sell out this year big and prepare the younger guys damn near the entire game. The seniors would be no more than role players (which is what they should be anyway based on their skill sets.)

My biggest frustration with Coach is we aren’t doing anything different. He’s had this core group for three years. How long does it take to notice the issues and make a change either to lineup combinations or style of play. He could make a huge change by getting out of the half court sets. But he won’t. He also can’t play 100% man to man based on who’s on the floor. But we keep trying for some reason.
Understood. But I agree with post #60; you don't need talented players to run a different offensive scheme. Actually, wouldn't it help to have a more complex offense when you don't have exceptional shooting or driving talent? That way you have built-in separation and open guys periodically just by the nature of the offense instead of.........whatever we're doing now........which I still don't understand the goal. Do you know what the goal of our offense is, and is it something that can even be effective at the D1 level???

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Look how may fans wanted to keep TF and now they want to keep MB no matter what. He will get next year just for the fact of Cunningham. So we will have to endure at least another 1.5 years of terrible basketball. The team doesn't even look like they are coached on offense, just dribble around and jack a shot up...that's coaching.
He is in over his head...nice guy, says all the right things but this will set the program back yet again.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Are you delusional? The seniors are Ford recruits And play as such. There are no juniors at all. Thanks a lot, Underwood. We have two good sophomores who Boynton barely had time to recruit. The freshman class is just that, freshmen. Essentially, HCMB is just starting to develop players who he recruited for his style of play. I believe that he will get there. Give him at least two more years. Next year should be better, however.
Seniors signed by Ford or not, those guys want to win as much as we all do. It doesn't matter to them that the guy that signed them is gone. He was terrible and that team sucked
I'd be willing to bet they were just as happy to see Ford go and be replaced by someone, anyone that could make them better.

Ford wasn't a hot girlfriend by any means.

Let's point the finger where it needs to be pointed -- the coaching is not developing these players into a team.

Nov 6, 2010
Folks, this is the same team that blew out Syracuse and Ole Miss in NYC to start the year. I don't believe they're overmatched at all. We are in a severe slump, particularly Lindy. He was lethal toward the end of last year, and now he's a non-factor. When he shakes it off and starts playing like last year, we'll start winning again. I think coach needs to start running the offense through him and working to get him a bunch of mid range jumpers. Get a couple of those to fall and I think he'll be back into form.

Feb 18, 2009
Understood. But I agree with post #60; you don't need talented players to run a different offensive scheme. Actually, wouldn't it help to have a more complex offense when you don't have exceptional shooting or driving talent? That way you have built-in separation and open guys periodically just by the nature of the offense instead of.........whatever we're doing now........which I still don't understand the goal. Do you know what the goal of our offense is, and is it something that can even be effective at the D1 level???
I wish I did. That’s what scares me the most, what if it’s not just Jimmy’s and Joe’s.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I wish I did. That’s what scares me the most, what if it’s not just Jimmy’s and Joe’s.
I didn't grow up playing organized basketball, so I don't have enough knowledge to understand the game at a high level. What I do know is that my intramural teams at OSU seemingly ran more offensive sets, and had more ways of getting open looks than I've seen us run this year in our standard halfcourt offense. It certainly points to either lack of coaching or just incompetent players. I have a really difficult time believing that the latter is true.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Lol. He just landed the #2 in the nation and the rest of his recruiting is the likes of which we have not seen in years. They are going through a slump now, but last year they significantly overachieved for our talent level. Put down the whiskey and take a breath dude.
I agree. Weve lost two Big 12 road games and West Virginia at home who is now top 12 team and the best defensive team in America. I still think OSU basketball can turn it around this year even. It's fine to question things offensively cuz it's been really poor.

I think it's combo of Likele Mono, losing game equaled lost confidence. Likele still isnt himself quite yet. Lindy is playing terribly the last few games which isn't like him. Dziagwa sick last Monday.

Again, I still believe we will start to win games and turn this thing around to a bubble NCAA team. We need to make the tourney. In order to do so, time to start winning.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Is it the Jimmys and the Joes or the Xs and the Os? Our defense is pretty good, but if you hold a team in the Big 12 to 52 points, you should win that game. What happened after NYC, they were so good in those games, even if Syracuse and Ole Miss are only average teams.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Seniors signed by Ford or not, those guys want to win as much as we all do. It doesn't matter to them that the guy that signed them is gone. He was terrible and that team sucked
I'd be willing to bet they were just as happy to see Ford go and be replaced by someone, anyone that could make them better.

Ford wasn't a hot girlfriend by any means.

Let's point the finger where it needs to be pointed -- the coaching is not developing these players into a team.
Exactly! It's incredible how long of a leash people will give certain guys.

I voiced concerns over all the departures for 2 years, but was told that "no, he's getting rid of bad apples, etc...", regardless of who brought those guys in. The same people will turn around & explain how depth is lacking because the coach wants a team full of choirboys, so you really can't hold it against him. Well, there's a point where that's true & a point where you've brought the guys in, so you're responsible for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not jumping off any ship here, but taking over a program which has been to the tourney recently, & the whole "you've got to give him time to build it" line in today's college basketball rings hollow after awhile.

It's time to produce & get a team better from here on out. Sorry, but we shouldn't be on bended knee for a first time head coach who's never coached a tourney team.

Feb 18, 2009
At this point, I would be happy with one change. I would like to see our guys go out and be the biggest bullies on the block. Hard fouls, maybe a flagrant elbow, some jawing/pushing and shoving, etc. Go be the Pistons while you're getting beaten like a drum. I would pay to watch that every night.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
Is it the Jimmys and the Joes or the Xs and the Os? Our defense is pretty good, but if you hold a team in the Big 12 to 52 points, you should win that game. What happened after NYC, they were so good in those games, even if Syracuse and Ole Miss are only average teams.
Shooting slump. Open shots, balls not falling. That's what's happened.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
Dead programs aren’t going to the NCAA Tournament 4 out of 5 years. That’s what Boynton took over, a program that had been to the Big Dance 4 out of the previous 5 years.

Was the program in some disarray and instability when he took over? Sure, but let’s not pretend that he took over a hopeless and dead program. That’s just inaccurate.
For some perspective, only once during those four of five years did we have a +.500 conference record, once at .500 and twice we were two games under .500. Three of those four years it is pretty clear our inclusion in the tournament was due in large part to the overall perception of the B12. Boynton's first year, that same 8-10 conference record had to settle for the NIT.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Ok, maybe not a "dead" program. I guess what I meant was not much fan support or buzz about the team. Ford had worn thin on fans combined with higher ticket prices (thanks Holder), many gave up their season tickets and threw in the towel. Ford gets fired, Underwood comes in goes to tournament then skates out of town(again b/c of Holder, but at this point I'd rather have coach B) again frustrating fans. Coach B has had an uphill climb, has made some mistakes and had to deal with some crazy circumstances. I still have my doubts as to his ability to X and O, but with the recruiting he has done and the amount of effort he has put into turning the ship around I think he deserves a few more years to get the job done. He is probably one of the FEW people on campus that actually give a rip if BB does good or not and suggesting that he needs to be fired at this point is just crazy

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
Ok, maybe not a "dead" program. I guess what I meant was not much fan support or buzz about the team. Ford had worn thin on fans combined with higher ticket prices (thanks Holder), many gave up their season tickets and threw in the towel. Ford gets fired, Underwood comes in goes to tournament then skates out of town(again b/c of Holder, but at this point I'd rather have coach B) again frustrating fans. Coach B has had an uphill climb, has made some mistakes and had to deal with some crazy circumstances. I still have my doubts as to his ability to X and O, but with the recruiting he has done and the amount of effort he has put into turning the ship around I think he deserves a few more years to get the job done. He is probably one of the FEW people on campus that actually give a rip if BB does good or not and suggesting that he needs to be fired at this point is just crazy
i agree with you. He has had a steep uphill climb given the overall strength of the Big 12 conference. Talk of firing him is completely idiotic at this point. He is starting to bring in some talented freshman with more on the way.

My only concern is what expectations he is setting for the kids coming in. Losing Watson, whom I understand is a relative of Boynton, is a huge red flag and obviously a hit given he was the top recruit In this years class. Especially with others leaving or being dismissed for the wrong reasons.