Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Hey, Coach Underwood did a remarkable job in a very short period of time. Yes, it can be fixed and it was fixed before Holder decided not to pay for results.

As long as we continue in every sport to "cheap hire" our coaches and hope they can do the job, we're going to struggle.
I believe Gundy has finally figured this out -- you cannot "cheap hire" some diamond in the rough/unknown/unproven coach and expect it to work out. It might on once in a while and when that happens you think you know more than top rated coaches who know that hiring the best will produce the better results.

Okay. Now get ready for the "We just don't have the money" comments....in 3....2....1.....
Skidmark has been a disaster at Illinois. The Cowboy basketball team this year will win some games like Skidmark's did.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Eddie and Sean are the responsible for sending the bus off the cliff, Holder just hasn't been able to get it back on the shoulder much the less the road.
Holder admitted that he screwed up that transition and that it hurt the program. He also admitted that the Ford extension a massive mistake. Sean also left the cupboard full enough to get Travis Ford his only tournament win. Yes, Eddie started this disaster when he drove drunk and almost killed someone, but let's not pretend this is all on him. I'll also remind people we didn't know Sean was having substance issues when he got fired. Many of us would also take the results of his first two seasons over Boynton's.

Still, we have Boynton. He deserves at least one more year, but anything short of sweet 16 next year and he needs to go

Sep 17, 2016
Dallas
I like boynton as a person. Seems genuine and says all the right things.

Saying that, Why does Boynton deserve an extra year? You dont usually keep a college bball head coach job at this level without providing some results. It is not like football. Bball can turn around quickly with a good coach

At the end of this season, you will easily be able to assess his coaching ability. That is the grounds in which you hire or fire someone. Out of that ability in 3 years, you should see growth or promise and you will see the results of his coaching. So far. I have seen poor results.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I like boynton as a person. Seems genuine and says all the right things.

Saying that, Why does Boynton deserve an extra year? You dont usually keep a college bball head coach job at this level without providing some results. It is not like football. Bball can turn around quickly with a good coach

At the end of this season, you will easily be able to assess his coaching ability. That is the grounds in which you hire or fire someone. Out of that ability in 3 years, you should see growth or promise and you will see the results of his coaching. So far. I have seen poor results.
I don't know about others, but for me there are two reasons. First, he brought in a ridiculous recruiting class for next year, which is only his second true recruiting class. If you haul in the potential number 1 overall pick, that gives you some breathing room. The second is that there wasn't much talent when he took over and the program was in pretty bad disarray.

Apr 7, 2006
Our fanbase has gotten more ridiculous all the time.

If you think there's any chance Boynton is getting fired for at least another year and probably 2 you're going to be disappointed. It's not happening - period. He took over a completely irrelevant program that now has no talented upperclassmen. 2 months ago this program looked like it was going to be competitive in the league and people were talking crazy and now that they're struggling it's time to fire the coach.

It's possible to be disappointed without being delusional.

We've had 3 coaches in 5 years and the roster shows it. You've got a 3rd year head coach who's still learning. When you hire someone without experience you have to give them a longer leash- like it or not.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
At the beginning of the year I mentioned that Boynton still had to prove his worth in areas other than recruiting, and people killed me for it. That being said.... definitely not time to pull the plug. Boynton is still relatively green and will go through growing pains just like the young guys on our team. He's proven his worth in recruiting, lets give him some time to learn through this as well.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
I understand the frustration. The offensive sets lack creativity and it feels like our seniors & Yor have regressed. Sophomore slumps happen as opposing coaches have an offseason of tape and it can take a while for young players to mentally adjust. The decline of our seniors has been the most disappointing to me. I don't understand the choices Cam is making other than he is trying to establish a style of play he'll need if he hopes to play professionally. Him shooting 3's certainly isn't what we need from him. Dizzy & Lindy look lost or lacking confidence. Laurent felt like a reach, like Mike Cunningham last season. Pushing Brandon Averette out to get his own type of PG feels a little fool hardy now, but hindsight is 20/20.

I didn't expect much from any of the freshmen other than Watson. He was the only guy you looked at as a "ready-to-play" and with a clear NBA potential (the rest have a lot of development needed). Now that isn't going to work out, so we are left with a developmental class of freshmen. The biggest concern with all of them is shooting. Boynton went with a player type that didn't emphasize shooting. I am worried about that because in the 2.5 seasons we've seen, Boynton's offenses seem very content to take the 3 and not particularly interested in creating lanes. I'm not clear if that's his philosophy or if he feels out his roster is incapable of anything other than mid-major ball.

ICE got mono, that sucks and I'd have to think will slow him down all season.

Defections: It would've been nice if Boynton could've found a way to coach/mentor someone out of Dillard, Weathers, Dawson, Calloo, and Jones. I don't know much about why Dillard & Dawson were excused, though I know Dillard was always lingering on the borders of Underwood's doghouse. Weathers felt unmanageable, but the others it is just a shame. I hope it was 100% necessary and not the case of a young coach trying to exert authority.

Nevertheless, we hired a completely inexperienced HC to navigate an awkward situation and he has an all but guaranteed lottery pick coming in next season. So, Boynton isn't going anywhere, no matter how bad this season goes. Even if we go 0-18 in the conference. Buckle in and hope it gets better. I really hope it does, 7% shooting can't last forever.

Aug 16, 2012
A common theme in many of the complaints is the lack of an offense that wanders around the perimeter. There is a reason for that.....we have one guy who can penetrate off the dribble. The perimeter weave is supposed to find cracks in the zone but with the lack of ball handling skills, the crack would have to be the size of the Grand Canyon and an invitation sent a week earlier for half our starters to drive through it. Every B12 coach and player knows this so they only have to play one dimensional defense against our one dimensional offense. Only have one guy who plays the middle so D's can sag and cheat which is also why Cam playing out of position is so debilitating. Our only guy who can drive rarely shoots from the outside which again, makes him one dimensional and easy to defend. Our past successes have always had a player or two who can actually make plays outside-to-inside. Smart, Anderson, Lucas, Curry, Nash, Allen, etc. Until someone steps up that is more than a one dimensional threat, no offense in the world is going to have much success.

This being said, our off-the-ball movement, in particular down low, is non-existent. This stuff reminds me of an NBA offense where everyone is playing their own game jockeying for position instead of off-ball screens and picks to get someone open.

Oct 30, 2007
Mike Holder, please take the bull by the horns and make a change at head coach of the basketball program. You have a very experienced coach on staff and you need to let him run the team for the rest of the year. Name Scott Sutton interim head coach now. If results improve and we somehow make the NCAA tourney, then swallow your pride and give Scott a 3 year contract and see if he can bring us back to a respectable Big XII basketball program.
Great entry for worst post of the millenium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Coach Boynton has had inferior talent since he became head coach. Several players who might have elevated the skill level has done stupid things and Coach had to get rid of them or the law got rid of them. God love the guys we have now (Senior starters), they play their hearts out and give all they've got for their teammates, OSU and the fans. But when Big 12 play comes around they are simply overmatched. The young guys have a lot of promise. Not too sure we shouldn't write of this year and let the young guys get as much experience as possible before the elite talent arrives next year. Next year talent won't be an excuse. Let's see how Coach does then.....

Feb 18, 2009
What is his style of play? Tell me what you're observing currently that indicates it.
I’m not defending HCMB but he is severely hampered right now with guys he can out on the floor.

Me, I’d sell out this year big and prepare the younger guys damn near the entire game. The seniors would be no more than role players (which is what they should be anyway based on their skill sets.)

My biggest frustration with Coach is we aren’t doing anything different. He’s had this core group for three years. How long does it take to notice the issues and make a change either to lineup combinations or style of play. He could make a huge change by getting out of the half court sets. But he won’t. He also can’t play 100% man to man based on who’s on the floor. But we keep trying for some reason.

Feb 18, 2009
Coach Boynton has had inferior talent since he became head coach. Several players who might have elevated the skill level has done stupid things and Coach had to get rid of them or the law got rid of them. God love the guys we have now (Senior starters), they play their hearts out and give all they've got for their teammates, OSU and the fans. But when Big 12 play comes around they are simply overmatched. The young guys have a lot of promise. Not too sure we shouldn't write of this year and let the young guys get as much experience as possible before the elite talent arrives next year. Next year talent won't be an excuse. Let's see how Coach does then.....
My only exception is I didn’t see them playing their hearts out yesterday. They looked totally apathetic which is how you end up with all three going scoreless. I think they’re tired and can see the writing on the wall or maybe for two of them the light at the end of the tunnel. Not a dig, just what I saw.

Nov 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
HCMB has got to find a way to get the offense going...and he knows that. I read that OSU is 3/39 from 3 the last 2 games..can't get much worse.

Underwoods team started 0-6 in Big 12 play and ended up making the dance so I'm not giving up yet...but the shots need to start falling.

Nov 14, 2010
I was there yesterday and it appeared like on a couple timeouts Coach Hinson was urging Boynton to get animated with the team.

To which, that appeared to be an awkward thing for Boynton to manufacture.

Any talk of firing Boynton mid season is ridiculous.

But......So is defending anything about this team right now is as well.

Yesterday was really,, really bad

That was the worst home court advantage I could possibly imagine and we played like we were bored.

They looked checked out and dis interested.

I don't care what the situation is, an OSU team should never look that lethargic and unprepared.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2008
OKC
Ya’ll, please stop! Boynton can’t shoot for the players and he can’t run the offense. It’s ON THE PLAYERS to choose their shots and follow the game plan. They’ll turn things around. People are so stinking quick to jump ship. You really think they’re loving this? They’re competitive, they want to win. I guarantee you whiners hiding behind your negativity sure can’t play!

Apr 27, 2006
Ya’ll, please stop! Boynton can’t shoot for the players and he can’t run the offense. It’s ON THE PLAYERS to choose their shots and follow the game plan. They’ll turn things around. People are so stinking quick to jump ship. You really think they’re loving this? They’re competitive, they want to win. I guarantee you whiners hiding behind your negativity sure can’t play!
So if they take shots they shouldn't and refuse to follow the game plan then someone else should get their minutes. But since the lineup and minutes are close to remaining the same it would appear that the shots taken are within their roles and the game plan bringing the coaching questions and the question who is running the show the coaches or the players.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Things that you don’t need talent to do:

screen
know how to come off a screen
pass
pass without holding the ball for at least 3 seconds after catching a pass.
cut & move & cut & move
know where your teammates are on the floor at all times.
screen away from the ball
move away from the ball
cut away from the ball and to the ball
cut to the basket with conviction
crash the offensive boards with conviction

Are we even decent at doing any of these? No. Are the seniors decent at doing any of these things? No. Again, it’s year 3, improvement of any type is expected but not being seen.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
So we should just get rid of him and flush the highest recruit to ever come to Stillwater? You do realize that would set us back another three years AT LEAST. Coach B has been tasked with reviving a basically dead program, a tall order considering so many fans didn't want hime to be the coach in the first place. I'm sure not happy with the way this year is going so far, but calling for his dismissal at this point is just crazy talk