Texas Tech Baseball Series

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
This series is slightly different in that it starts on Thursday. So times are Thursday 630, Friday 630, and Saturday at 1. All the games will be carried on Fox Sports Oklahoma or Plus, but make every attempt to make it to the ballpark for this series. There are still tickets left, but we need a sellout. http://orange.okstate.com/tickets/baseball.html Thursday is bark in the park (if you bring your dog to the outfield fun area they get a free OSU dog bowl, and you can heckle Tech outfielders). Friday is Military Appreciation Day, always a great day at the ballpark. Then Saturday is Sr. Day, and it may be the last time Cowboys Seniors and many juniors set foot on the grass at Allie P.

The Thursday-Sat series is a big12 scheduling adjustment that allows both teams to have their guys ready to start next week's Big12 Tourney in OKC on Wednesday without throwing off pitching schedules too much.

Thursday Night, Joe Lienhard will face RHP Davis Martin 3.9 ERA, 6-4 record, he's a strikeout guy that will give up extra-base hits. Has a sinker that had a ton of bite as a freshman (hurt as a soph). Fastball tends to be 93-90 with the off pitches being in the low 80s so a guy that fits a mold that the Cowboys have had some success against. He was a big part of their CWS team in 2016.

Friday Night should be one for the ages. Carson Teel's final exam schedule has him in the second spot, which means he matches up with Tech's ace and the Big12 presumptive pitcher of the year, RHP Caleb Killian, 8-1 with a 1.88 ERA with 4 shutouts. Opponents are only batting .192 off of Killian. His curve has a hard spin and bite and he likes using it.

Saturday: Cowboys if they finally give Heasley some run support and defense should match up well with John McMillion 0-2 in Big12 play in 6 starts and carrying a 5.87 in league play. He was a pre-season All American but hasn't lived up to the hype this year.

Their bullpen is a little shallow, the three main guys are RHP Ty Harpeneau, LHP Dylan Dusek, and RHP Ryan Shetter.

The Baylor series was about Baylor being great pitchers with hot bats. The Tech series is about Tech having great bats with occasionally great pitching.

This is the murder's row of batting lineups in the Big12 led by Josh Jung (who will be in line for Big12 POY) .392 10 HR, Grant Little .390 10 HR, Gabe Holt .351, Zach Rheams is batting .391 with 7 HRs in Big12 play. Cody Farhat at the bottom of the lineup has been extremely hot of recent despite only batting .300 in big12 play.

If the Cowboys want to be Big12 Champs they will have to earn it with good pitching and great defense. Tech is the kind of team the blows one missed double play or bobbled ball into a big inning. We cannot repeat the mistakes of the Baylor series and expect to win against a lineup this solid.

Buy your tickets now and come out to the ballpark. The bigger the audience, the better they are at home. This team feeds off the crowd and the energy. Plus you do not want to miss the joy and feelings that come along with closing out a big12 title at home. If you were in OKC last year, you know you got the warm fuzzies when that dogpile happened. You don't want to miss this.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Weather.com forecast looks great:

Thur: Partly cloudy with High of 89, Low 67. 10% chance of rain
Friday: Sunny with High of 93, Low 71. 10% chance of rain
Saturday: Sunny with High of 95, Low 63. 0% chance of rain.

FYI, if there were a game on Sunday, chance of rain at 40%

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Let's look at some trends:

OSU 7-0 at home vs Big12 teams.
Tech is 11-10 on the road. 5-5 in road games outside the state of Texas. They carry a RPI of 9 and come into this series needing to win to cement their claim to a National top 8 seed.

They're salty on the road, they split a midweek at Louisville, (RPI 30), went 1-2 at Kentucky (RPI 17), and dropped a midweek at Arkansas (RPI 4). So they've seen big-time road environments (that are frankly more intimidating than ours). (They went 3-1 at KU and New Mexico, for the rest of their non-Texas road games). In Big12 play, they dropped the series 1-2 at both Baylor and TCU.

Tech fans are speculating that McMillion won't start, and they'll turn to Dusek instead, we will see what gets listed in the media reports today or tomorrow, but they were also speculating that Martin would still throw Friday and Killian on Saturday. That would be extremely short-sighted by Tadlock going into the Big12 tourney, but then again, Tech has traditionally played poorly in the Tourney as a high seed under Tadlock so it's possible.

A lot of Tech's success this year can be credited to former Cowboy pitcher Matt Gardner, who is Tadlock's pitching coach. He pitched JUCO ball for Tadlock, before coming here and having success under Frank. He's taken that knowledge and salvaged a staff that lost more established talent than we have. LHP Stephen Gingery was by far the most talented pitcher in the league and they lost him 1 game into the season. They also lost LHP Erickson Lanning, who factored big into their plans.

One stat anomaly, I see, Tech's pitching in Big12 play, they've given up fewer hits (175 to OSU's 194), but the Tech runs are more likely to come home to roost. 125 Runs allowed 108 earned to OSU's 105 runs of which only 94 were earned. So OSU does a better job of pitching out of jams than they do. So the Cowboys need to keep the pressure on them, not just rely upon the HR. Tech also has done a better job at securing strikeouts 20 more than OSU in big12 play, but also 10 more walks issued, meaning our hitters should be expected to work deeper counts against Tech.

Third baseman Josh Jung, I mentioned he was one of the best in the league. He's been invited to join Team USA this summer as one of the best college kids in the country. We will be seeing an exceptional talent take on our team this weekend. He ranks as the best batting average in the league (his teammate Grant Little is #2), 6th in HRs, 2nd in triples, 1st in runs scored, 1st in RBIs, an OBP of .488 (best in the league).

As much as fans may feel that we are trending in the wrong direction, you need to look no further than 2016. That team finished ice cold. Lost the series to OU, then laid an egg in the Big12 Tourney. They refocused and went on a tear that left us 1 game short of the CWS final. Will that repeat itself? Who knows, but in Rob and Josh we trust.

One person I intend to watch for is Jake Taylor, I don't think he made the trip to Waco, so I'm curious how severe the injury that took him out of a start a few weeks ago really is.

Oct 6, 2012
Let's look at some trends:

OSU 7-0 at home vs Big12 teams.
Tech is 11-10 on the road. 5-5 in road games outside the state of Texas. They carry a RPI of 9 and come into this series needing to win to cement their claim to a National top 8 seed.

They're salty on the road, they split a midweek at Louisville, (RPI 30), went 1-2 at Kentucky (RPI 17), and dropped a midweek at Arkansas (RPI 4). So they've seen big-time road environments (that are frankly more intimidating than ours). (They went 3-1 at KU and New Mexico, for the rest of their non-Texas road games). In Big12 play, they dropped the series 1-2 at both Baylor and TCU.

Tech fans are speculating that McMillion won't start, and they'll turn to Dusek instead, we will see what gets listed in the media reports today or tomorrow, but they were also speculating that Martin would still throw Friday and Killian on Saturday. That would be extremely short-sighted by Tadlock going into the Big12 tourney, but then again, Tech has traditionally played poorly in the Tourney as a high seed under Tadlock so it's possible.

A lot of Tech's success this year can be credited to former Cowboy pitcher Matt Gardner, who is Tadlock's pitching coach. He pitched JUCO ball for Tadlock, before coming here and having success under Frank. He's taken that knowledge and salvaged a staff that lost more established talent than we have. LHP Stephen Gingery was by far the most talented pitcher in the league and they lost him 1 game into the season. They also lost LHP Erickson Lanning, who factored big into their plans.

One stat anomaly, I see, Tech's pitching in Big12 play, they've given up fewer hits (175 to OSU's 194), but the Tech runs are more likely to come home to roost. 125 Runs allowed 108 earned to OSU's 105 runs of which only 94 were earned. So OSU does a better job of pitching out of jams than they do. So the Cowboys need to keep the pressure on them, not just rely upon the HR. Tech also has done a better job at securing strikeouts 20 more than OSU in big12 play, but also 10 more walks issued, meaning our hitters should be expected to work deeper counts against Tech.

Third baseman Josh Jung, I mentioned he was one of the best in the league. He's been invited to join Team USA this summer as one of the best college kids in the country. We will be seeing an exceptional talent take on our team this weekend. He ranks as the best batting average in the league (his teammate Grant Little is #2), 6th in HRs, 2nd in triples, 1st in runs scored, 1st in RBIs, an OBP of .488 (best in the league).

As much as fans may feel that we are trending in the wrong direction, you need to look no further than 2016. That team finished ice cold. Lost the series to OU, then laid an egg in the Big12 Tourney. They refocused and went on a tear that left us 1 game short of the CWS final. Will that repeat itself? Who knows, but in Rob and Josh we trust.

One person I intend to watch for is Jake Taylor, I don't think he made the trip to Waco, so I'm curious how severe the injury that took him out of a start a few weeks ago really is.
Is this the injury he suffered in the celebration after his walk-off hit several weeks ago?

Oct 6, 2012
Thanks @Matt_bob123, not sure how I missed that.

Can we expect Jensen to get more innings as we move forward or will he continue to be limited to 1-2 innings per weekend for the remainder of the season?

Really enjoy your updates on here. Can''t get enough Cowboy baseball coverage this time of year.

Last edited:

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Jensen Elliot should be on a pitch count. I imagine we will use him in a role similar to how we did Baylor. By that I mean, Jensen has a starter’s mentality not a reliever, he isn’t wired to come in with guys on stress. So I expect we will use him to make pitching changes to start innings not in the middle of them.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Tech is in fact throwing LHP Dylan Dusek Thursday, then Martin Friday and Killian on Saturday. So adjust my matchups a bit. Tadlock, thinks he can throw 6 innings, but his longest outing of the year was 4 innings against So. Alabama. 2.59 ERA in 24 IP. He had a pair of tommy Johns and has been slow coming back in year 2. But as a freshman was 8-0 starter on a CWS team for Tech.

This may be about Tadlock looking at OSUs scouting report and seeing we struggle with slower lefties. Plus it moves McMillion and all his speed into the pen for more usage.

Makes it all that more important to win the early games of this series.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Oklahoma State

Record: 29-19-1, 16-5 Big 12

Looking ahead: Oklahoma State looks to hold on to its Big 12 lead with a three-game series against Texas Tech starting Thursday in Stillwater. First pitch is 6:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday and 1 p.m. Saturday.

Looking back: The Cowboys dropped two of three games to Baylor.
Link

Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Just heard on the radio Taylor is out for the year. That sucks.

Also they changed the lineup and Rosa is leading of now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure wish Rosa was playing 2nd. Quad must not be fully healed.
Just heard they changed the lineup late and added him. Didn’t hear anything about his health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk