Texas opening line

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I saw it on Surlyhorns this week when I went to see what they had to say. It might be old news.
Either way, Herman's got his work cut out for him.

I've heard a lot of speculation that there won't be nearly as many coaches fired this year, given the revenue shortfalls most schools are facing & how much the buyouts & hiring new staffs will cost. It's probably true at at most schools, but I'd bet a Hideaway pizza that if UT thought they had a shot at Urban Meyer or someone similar, they'd shake out the couch cushions & find the cash to do it.

I think I'm to the point I'd rather see Herman stick around for a few more years of mediocrity in Austin, though. Eventually, they're gonna get the right guy & have another Mack Brown era.

Nov 23, 2010
Didn't they do that back in July? They wanted the song gone, wouldn't participate in recruiting efforts, the name removed from the football field, etc....?
The song issue is still going on. After the Red River game, only Ehlinger and the coaches stayed out for playing it after the game. The AD put out a statement saying all players were expected to stand for it, the BOR said it would remain the school song. The band has refused to play it now.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The song issue is still going on. After the Red River game, only Ehlinger and the coaches stayed out for playing it after the game. The AD put out a statement saying all players were expected to stand for it, the BOR said it would remain the school song. The band has refused to play it now.
Right, I got that, just thought it began back in the summer. This is from June.

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-athletes-release-list-of-demands-for-campus-changes/

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
Texas always concerns me. Even though they are having a tough year, they only have two losses...one in OT and the other by 2 points to TCU. And the one game against Tech they managed to put together a major comeback and pull out the W. Still a lot of talent and they will find a way to put it all together at some point. Hopefully not this weekend though.

In other news, the “smart” money is moving toward the Pokes. Now at 3.5 point favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Texas always concerns me. Even though they are having a tough year, they only have two losses...one in OT and the other by 2 points to TCU. And the one game against Tech they managed to put together a major comeback and pull out the W. Still a lot of talent and they will find a way to put it all together at some point. Hopefully not this weekend though.

In other news, the “smart” money is moving toward the Pokes. Now at 3.5 point favorite.

I hear you, but I’m having a hard time taking them as seriously this year. They do not look impressive. We’ve been here before as fans though, haven’t we? I know I may be self medicating after the game Saturday.

All that being said, I hope the team is taking them more seriously than I am. They can’t let down.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I have a parking question and just posting it here because it seems like the most active thread right now. I was given tickets and a parking pass to the game Saturday. Does anyone know which lot this is? I can't find it on a map on the athletic site.
20235~2.jpeg

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
We have been on the bad side of too many of those against Texas. Ugh, the worst way to lose.
I'll never forget how disappointing that 2007 Texas comeback win in Stillwater was. Terribly deflating.

I'll also never forget hanging out, drowning our sorrows & lamenting what could have been after the game @ whatever restaurant that was in the old Stillwater bay location. Then, Jason Ricks & his parents came in & were seated next to us. The kid had made some big kicks for us, but was absolutely devastated by the one he missed that day. I really felt for him & his folks that night & try to remember these kids are kids still.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
interesting that ESPN is very quite this week on the OSU-uT game. You'd think Big12 leader vs Blue Blood would draw some story-line there.
Now they got something- and good write up for us

What else is worth watching?
Oklahoma State at Texas (Saturday, 4 p.m. ET on Fox)

You might have written off the Big 12's playoff chances when it lost to three Group of Five teams in the opening week or when Texas and Oklahoma both lost back-to-back games. That's fair. But it turns out there's another potential playoff contender in the conference, and it's winning in an absolutely shocking way. We're talking about Oklahoma State, which has traded in a high-flying offense for a smothering defense. The Pokes lead the nation in sack rate on non-blitz plays, are fourth in yards per attempt, seventh in QBR allowed, 10th in designed runs stuffed for a loss or no gain and 11th in yards per play. This week will be its biggest test, with Sam Ehlinger and Texas coming to town. The Longhorns haven't met expectations thus far, but Ehlinger's 24 touchdowns leads the nation.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

I agree, I have never felt overly-confident when playing Texas. I’ve felt cautiously optimistic, which is how I feel now.

The reality is we don't really know who Texas is at this point. They are 2 plays away from being either 4-0, or 1-3 in conference. They can definitely move the football, but they make a lot of drive killing errors in penalties and turnovers. Defensively, they give up a lot of points. I think this will be a close game, if they limit their mistakes offensively and we do not show improvement on offense side against maybe the 2nd weakest defense that we have played. However, if we move the ball and they don't clean it up a bit, we could have a comfortable win. Barring meltdown, I don't see them winning comfortably, if at all.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I'll never forget how disappointing that 2007 Texas comeback win in Stillwater was. Terribly deflating.

I'll also never forget hanging out, drowning our sorrows & lamenting what could have been after the game @ whatever restaurant that was in the old Stillwater bay location. Then, Jason Ricks & his parents came in & were seated next to us. The kid had made some big kicks for us, but was absolutely devastated by the one he missed that day. I really felt for him & his folks that night & try to remember these kids are kids still.
I was at that game and think it was on Gundy. With that big 4th Q lead the offense kept snapping the ball with 14 seconds left on the play clock. I was screaming for them not to keep doing it. They could have killed enough clock to squeeze TX out of time. Also the D-line was gassed in the 4th. I did love some fans comment postgame, "that was like attending a funeral with 55,000 close friends". Also postgame, Mack Brown said "I've never lost to OSU and never intend to".

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Was the first game I took my wife to in Stillwater (she's a T-sipper). She was in a good mood afterwards :innocent: )

Then she returned for the game in 2018 when Corndog put on a show. . . . great night ( . . at the game :( ).

Nov 6, 2010
I was at that game and think it was on Gundy. With that big 4th Q lead the offense kept snapping the ball with 14 seconds left on the play clock. I was screaming for them not to keep doing it. They could have killed enough clock to squeeze TX out of time. Also the D-line was gassed in the 4th. I did love some fans comment postgame, "that was like attending a funeral with 55,000 close friends". Also postgame, Mack Brown said "I've never lost to OSU and never intend to".
The only thing I remember about that game is running a reverse to Bowman down there in the red zone. Just didn't seem like the right thing to do.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yeah, I do seem to remember all the time we left on the clock for their comeback. Actually, the game reminds me a lot of the '82 Bedlam game in terms of having it absolutely won, then making every mistake imaginable to allow their comeback.

I think when you look back at that game, & those early Gundy years, you can see a clear contrast of the coach he started to become in 2013. We seemed to start winning games then by being the smarter, more disciplined team rather than a up tempo all the time team, & we won a lot of close games that we'd lost in the past. It seems like through the years that Gundy has become much better at having our teams play complimentary football, which imo, is a recipe for success.

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
Now they got something- and good write up for us

What else is worth watching?
Oklahoma State at Texas (Saturday, 4 p.m. ET on Fox)

You might have written off the Big 12's playoff chances when it lost to three Group of Five teams in the opening week or when Texas and Oklahoma both lost back-to-back games. That's fair. But it turns out there's another potential playoff contender in the conference, and it's winning in an absolutely shocking way. We're talking about Oklahoma State, which has traded in a high-flying offense for a smothering defense. The Pokes lead the nation in sack rate on non-blitz plays, are fourth in yards per attempt, seventh in QBR allowed, 10th in designed runs stuffed for a loss or no gain and 11th in yards per play. This week will be its biggest test, with Sam Ehlinger and Texas coming to town. The Longhorns haven't met expectations thus far, but Ehlinger's 24 touchdowns leads the nation.
Good write up except I'd argue last week was a bigger test.