Texas has a certain "Musk"

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Hell of an explosion yesterday on the Space X test flight. I knew there were going to be issues after the scrubbed the launch yesterday to an unforeseen issue. Then yesterday on the launch pad they paused the count down at 2 min and vented gas out of the thing for like 40 min before the launch.

Good news...vertical test was good, bad news the landing went BOOM

Aug 16, 2012
Oracle announces move to Austin Friday.

HP Enterprises announces move to Houston on Friday.

And if you recall, Toyota USA moved to Plano 3-4 years ago.

Think Newsome and the Democrats destroying their state will ever figure out why?

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Oracle announces move to Austin Friday.

HP Enterprises announces move to Houston on Friday.

And if you recall, Toyota USA moved to Plano 3-4 years ago.

Think Newsome and the Democrats destroying their state will ever figure out why?
Problem is those companies bring all their Libs to Texas and it will show in our policies going forward. I fully expect all of those people to 'california my Texas' in the next 10-15 years and it will be the next liberal hell hole, unfortunately.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Gotta give it up to the most successful part of the test. The belly flop was INCREDIBLE. Such cool tech and science
The belly flop is a cool idea, but is also probably the cause of the failure. Flipping back to vertical that close to the ground means your fuel is sloshing like mad as you fire the engines to stop the descent. I think they said they lost pressure in one or more of the pumps, so engines cut out, and they didn't have enough thrust to avoid a relatively high velocity impact. Not surprising, really. More surprising that they tried to flip to vertical that close to the ground. But Elon likes explosions, so there you go. I would guess the next attempt will flip earlier (with just the attitude thrusters?), but that requires more fuel since the reduced profile in the vertical position will cause some acceleration relative to the belly flop.

The whole issue with this vehicle is how to land safely with minimal fuel when returning from orbital velocity. Lots of success in this test to be sure, but with a hop like this they are just trying to land from a velocity of roughly zero at an altitude of 12 km. The real goal is to be able to land starting at an altitude of >100 km and velocity of ~7 km/s. Or perhaps reentry velocity from Mars of 11 km/s. Still a long ways to go.

Aug 16, 2012
Problem is those companies bring all their Libs to Texas and it will show in our policies going forward. I fully expect all of those people to 'california my Texas' in the next 10-15 years and it will be the next liberal hell hole, unfortunately.
Yep.

I hate where I live.

I am going to move somewhere different.

But I want it to be just like where I live.

Most ridiculous mantra ever but it is spewed thousands of times each hour.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Billionaire tech mogul Musk’s high-profile relocation is the latest of more than 687,000 Californians who’ve made the move to the Lone Star State over the last decade, according to an analysis of U.S. Census Bureau data from 2010-2019.
https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...fornians-whove-moved-to-texas-in-last-decade/

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Billionaire tech mogul Musk’s high-profile relocation is the latest of more than 687,000 Californians who’ve made the move to the Lone Star State over the last decade, according to an analysis of U.S. Census Bureau data from 2010-2019.
https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...fornians-whove-moved-to-texas-in-last-decade/
that’s not as many as I would have thought considering the population of both states.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It’s growing, approx 175k (25%) in in just 2018 & 2019
Well the population of California is 40 million...and that's just legal Californians. My point was the 175k is a tiny fraction of 40 million (.4375% to be exact) and it's likely replaced by more than that annually in state. However, I did look at they are losing about 700K people annually to other states while only gaining about 600K at this point in time...which isn't a bad thing because it's overcrowded.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Well the population of California is 40 million...and that's just legal Californians. My point was the 175k is a tiny fraction of 40 million (.4375% to be exact) and it's likely replaced by more than that annually in state. However, I did look at they are losing about 700K people annually to other states while only gaining about 600K at this point in time...which isn't a bad thing because it's overcrowded.
During the time the 675k moved to Texas, 300k Texans moved to Cali.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Actually the census counts all humans regardless of immigration status.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Actually the census counts all humans regardless of immigration status.
Thanks I actually didn't know that...I would assume if I wasn't in a country legally that I wouldn't fill out a census...how do they get accurate numbers if lots of folks behave as I would in similar circumstances?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Elon Musk is one of California's biggest welfare's queens to date.

Have fun with this goober. He's on par with The Longhorn Network.
No matter our opinion of him, he's an innovator and California in the past 80 years has been the land that welcomed innovators...but it seems like taxes and regulations need to be kept at least somewhat in check in order for the state to thrive in that spotlight once again. I'm rooting for them to get some of that balance back in their governance that you and I spoke about in the fall or late summer. Bottom line, we both agree that it would help all Californians if they would demand better from their government, R's, D's and I's, to support all the people and not just some. Could solve lots of problems I would think.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Thanks I actually didn't know that...I would assume if I wasn't in a country legally that I wouldn't fill out a census...how do they get accurate numbers if lots of folks behave as I would in similar circumstances?
Census takers interview them.

I briefly worked for them in 2000. You got a packet of censuses for each house/apartment that didn't return paperwork and you interviewed whoever was there.