Texas Blackout Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2005
Re: TEXAS BLACKOUT (awesome shirt though)

Doubt the athletic department ever endorses a blackout, either officially or unofficially.

JoshOSU420

Athletic Supporter
Aug 12, 2004
OKC

I could really care less about the Blackout or not to blackout a game. But I do like the shirt.

Jan 2, 2007
OKC

There's a sign outside of the student union advertising a blackout shirt sponsored by the "Spears ambassadors and RHA" for $10, but the Student Union store is selling ORANGE Nike beat Texas shirts. I think officially, the athletic department is for orange/don't care and these third parties are trying to get a blackout on their own. The OP's shirt is being sold at Chris', not on campus.

The problem with this is there needs to be a unified campaign for whatever they want. They can't have random people trying for an orange/gray/black out.

I will only listen to the athletic department, and even then I will likely wear orange.

May 30, 2008
Dallas, TX

There is a sign outside of the library advertising "Blackout Halloween". These shirts are available at OSU Authentic, so I am pretty sure the AD is supporting this.

Dec 24, 2007
Stillwater, OK

To clarify:
The $10 shirts are through the facebook group. "Blackout Texas this Halloween"
They are $10 because $3 of the money goes to the United Way directly.
They say Blackout with a pistol pete head next to the Blackout and then near the bottom of the shirt on the left side is a large O.

Plus $3 of the 10 goes directly to the United Way the rest pays for the shirt. Why the AD isnt behind that I have no idea? I think because they arent gunna make a profit off of them!

BTW the fb group went around all the Greek houses today to get people to buy them. So, we will probably see quite a few at the game!

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA

Great....an unofficial blackout, which means a chunk of the student section will do it, and that's all.

This is why maintaining history and tradition - and publicizing such - is important. There's an unfortunate number of students in that group who think Barry Sanders and Mike Gundy wore black uniforms. They don't know what "Black Saturday" really was, and that the best game we played the last time in black was a tie with a mediocre OU team.

I'm also seeing a lot of comments about people who don't want it trying to "prevent change". They don't know that the effort to get everyone to wear orange was a change that still hasn't fully succeeded. They just think it will be cool because it's something everyone else does.

Personally, I'd be wearing orange even if it was official. I don't care if Texas is "more comfortable" around orange. It's our house, and it's our color. Screw Texas.

I noticed the guy who started the Facebook group - who is WAY too enthusiastic about this - is also listed on the Texas network. Is he a Longhorn fan?

As for the shirt, it is made by Smack Apparel - you know, the company that got sued by Ohio State, LSU, OU, and USC for making unlicensed shirts with official school colors. Their website also has an orange one for sale (not a Nightmare one, but a Beat Texas one). It is NOT an official shirt.

Unfortunately, OSU Authentic is indeed selling a black T-shirt for this. It's even on the website now.

Jul 25, 2005

I kinda assumed the student store wouldn't sell them unless the athletic department supported it?
What does the store in the Student Union have to do with the athletic department?

Why the AD isnt behind that I have no idea? I think because they arent gunna make a profit off of them!
I'm guessing the profit the athletic department might potentially make has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I noticed the guy who started the Facebook group - who is WAY too enthusiastic about this - is also listed on the Texas network. Is he a Longhorn fan?
I believe he at one point even went to Texas (at least that's what some friends who know him through ROTC have told me), and when the group first originated, he referred to them as "his Longhorns" in some manner.

baf1

Mr. Poopypants
Oct 5, 2008
Stillwater, OK

What does the store in the Student Union have to do with the athletic department?
I assumed that what was sold on campus was OSU's official stuff. Ya know, like the "official OSU shops" were basically OSU athletic outlets that sold only official OSU items. I guess I was mistaken?

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA

I believe he at one point even went to Texas (at least that's what some friends who know him through ROTC have told me), and when the group first originated, he referred to them as "his Longhorns" in some manner.
Interesting.

At this point, I'm just hoping that those who do wear black don't show up with Joker facepaint on. The blackout idea itself is enough of a rip-off of what Tech did last year...we don't need that happening too.

Why couldn't someone have suggested "Costume-Out Texas" and had the students wear Halloween costumes instead? THAT would have been original.

NewMexPoke84

Ou still sucks
Aug 27, 2008
OKC

The BLACKOUT is student organized with 6 of the 7 university vice presidents supporting it. (ADMH the 1) The school is behind it, but the athletic department is not. Paddle People jumped on board and the organizer is actually now apart of our group. There is also another shirt that they are selling for $10 with $5 going to the United Way. I'll try to throw up that picture in the next few days. Orange every single game no matter what people start cringing becuase its real, its, happening, and you can't stop it. Sidewalk chalking starts tommorow. Facebook group (the way to organize college students) is at 5,000. So you can bet at least 2/3 of students are going to be wearing black.

NewMexPoke84

Ou still sucks
Aug 27, 2008
OKC

I'm guessing the profit the athletic department might potentially make has absolutely nothing to do with it.

For like a summer semester he's spent a lot of time here. 3 years if I'm not mistaken. I'll try to get him to get an account. He has actually spent a lot of time with Colt McCoy. He said that McCoy said OSU scares him more then UO every year.

Jul 25, 2005

I assumed that what was sold on campus was OSU's official stuff. Ya know, like the "official OSU shops" were basically OSU athletic outlets that sold only official OSU items. I guess I was mistaken?
OSU Authentic is the only store - either on-campus or otherwise - that has any actual ties to the athletic department. The stores in the Student Union operate independently from the athletic department and (perhaps somebody can clear this up), I believe independently from the university, meaning they're their own entity that can sell whatever they want to stock.

As far as that shirt being anything even remotely "official", it isn't.

Somebody already mentioned it, but take a look at it. The shirt you posted is being printed by Smack Apparel, which has a long history of skirting around copyright and trademark violation suits. Notice that it doesn't even say "OSU" or "Oklahoma State" on it, and the upside down longhorn isn't the official UT logo. It's the same modified piece of clip art that Smack Apparel uses for its Texas A&M shirts because Smack Apparel was sued by the University of Texas for copyright infringement.

That said, I also find it curious that the design you posted isn't the same design that is listed on the Facebook group's page. This would indicate to me that the shirt being sold by Smack Apparel is not in fact the shirt whose proceeds are going to the United Way, so while the Facebook group might indeed be selling shirts that benefit a charity of some sort, those Smack Apparel shirts are not them.

Status
Not open for further replies.