Texas Bball Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
^^^^^This is the best answer. My wife gets home from work around 5:30 and I live 100 miles away. It takes 90 minutes, no matter what, to get to Stillwater from my house. Add parking and getting inside the arena and you can call it two hours from my house to my seat. That makes it 7:30 for a 6:00 tip off. That makes it impossible for anyone further than about 30 minutes away to make the game on time. Weekday, early games are a tough draw. No excuses (for most people) for weekend games though.
The last 30 minutes were really entertaining. :)

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I think what scared me a lot from watching the second half, is the ball movement. This team does so much iso BS. Move the ball! Move it quickly. When they were bringing the ball up the court, it was slow, it was timid. They were being pressed, I get that, but breaking the press isn't exactly difficult...?

Also, stop playing to protect the lead. When up 19 points, you apply more pressure to the neck with your boot. They didn't do that.

And for god's sake, INBOUND THE BALL TO THE BEST FREE THROW SHOOTER!

Dec 17, 2011
The issue is, is that we dont really have great ball movement and passers on the team. Dizzy only shoots, mcgriff cant create his own space, weathers has a lot of turnovers and cant shoot so teams will leave him open, reminds me of Ben Simmons without the passing. Issac is the only one who can really do so.

Dec 17, 2011
Mcgriff is strongest if he is in motion to the basket or is open for a shot, but cant do that without ball handlers. I think next year when we get those ball handlers he will be outstanding.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Not sure which was more painful. Crowd size or 2nd half offense.
Can we talk about the crowd size? It was *atrocious*. I know we’ve parsed it out in past, but it is ridiculous. Can’t the student section *at least* be full of raucous students? That is sad to see.

I remember, as a sophomore going back to school early, after winter break, so I could watch us play Texas (when they had TJ Ford, Royall Ivey, Brian Boddicker(?)). School hadn’t even restarted. And there was a lot of people there. Tonight’s crowd was pure trash. I can’t believe that. They shoild be there yelling and screaming and supporting these guys, regardless of how good they are.
My son was there. I personally was watching a different son play ball in OKC or I'd have been there +2.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
I don't understand how they can't pull more of the people that live in Stillwater or even the little towns within 20-30minutes. I mean, it's like $5-10 to get in, and you're going to maneuver yourself to a pretty decent seat. There's Big 12 players out there. In most big 12 games, there's at least one pro out there. There's a cool pre-game and in-game production. I mean, high school games get packed with people when they think there is one high-major guy playing. I guess people don't like going to the ball game that much anymore. If I lived within 45 minutes of Stillwater, it would so awesome how cheaply I could take in a big 12 game.

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
I don't understand how they can't pull more of the people that live in Stillwater or even the little towns within 20-30minutes. I mean, it's like $5-10 to get in, and you're going to maneuver yourself to a pretty decent seat. There's Big 12 players out there. In most big 12 games, there's at least one pro out there. There's a cool pre-game and in-game production. I mean, high school games get packed with people when they think there is one high-major guy playing. I guess people don't like going to the ball game that much anymore. If I lived within 45 minutes of Stillwater, it would so awesome how cheaply I could take in a big 12 game.
Yep. I've pondered retiring to Stillwater someday so I can go to every basketball and baseball game (already go to all football games).

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Yeah. It rocks!!!

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Not sure which was more painful. Crowd size or 2nd half offense.
Can we talk about the crowd size? It was *atrocious*. I know we’ve parsed it out in past, but it is ridiculous. Can’t the student section *at least* be full of raucous students? That is sad to see.

I remember, as a sophomore going back to school early, after winter break, so I could watch us play Texas (when they had TJ Ford, Royall Ivey, Brian Boddicker(?)). School hadn’t even restarted. And there was a lot of people there. Tonight’s crowd was pure trash. I can’t believe that. They shoild be there yelling and screaming and supporting these guys, regardless of how good they are.
My son was there. I personally was watching a different son play ball in OKC or I'd have been there +2.

And my son made the broadcast doing horns down and has become pseudo Twitter famous.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Mark Cooper noted Lindy Waters' importance to this year's team, as well as stat of note...

As part of his uber-efficient night, Waters sank all four of his free-throw attempts.

That nudged his free-throw percentage to 95.1 (39-of-41) for the year.

Among qualified, Division-I players, Waters now leads the country in the statistic. (To qualify, a player must appear in 75 percent of his team’s games and average more than 2.5 free throws per game.)

Phil Forte led the country in free-throw shooting two years ago with a 95.3-percent mark.

The Cowboys continue to lag behind as a team for the season (67 percent), but are shooting 72.7 percent in three Big 12 games. That’s above the nation’s average.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
Instead of worrying about the free shot, you should be worried about getting the ball inbounded. It don't matter who can shoot, if no one can pass them the ball. SO, the best passer inbounds. That is Waters.