Texas Bball Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Not sure which was more painful. Crowd size or 2nd half offense.
Can we talk about the crowd size? It was *atrocious*. I know we’ve parsed it out in past, but it is ridiculous. Can’t the student section *at least* be full of raucous students? That is sad to see.

I remember, as a sophomore going back to school early, after winter break, so I could watch us play Texas (when they had TJ Ford, Royall Ivey, Brian Boddicker(?)). School hadn’t even restarted. And there was a lot of people there. Tonight’s crowd was pure trash. I can’t believe that. They shoild be there yelling and screaming and supporting these guys, regardless of how good they are.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
www.prgsales.com
Horrible free throw shooting which I never understand. No half court offense especially if you lock down on Waters. He disappears if anyone halfway plays defense against him. Weathers is like the weather in OK...you never know what you will get.

Oh well, 3 point shooting, especially if your opponents shoots less than 10% behind the arc, hides a lot of warts.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2006
The product being put on the floor at the moment is not conducive to better attendance or elevation of the program. Hopefully the will be light at the end of the tunnel that is not a train.

kadune

Bitching about grad school
A/V Subscriber
Oct 4, 2008
CoMo
The students are still out on winter break.
Ok. And I pointed we were, too, and still showed up.
It's a tired, lose-lose argument. Easier to watch on TV (fewer games on TV then); better products available (Thunder); a standard setting coach that raised fan expectations so that they've rarely supported any of the coaches since then. It's the student' fault; those who show up don't wear orange; they just look at their phone; it's the alumni's fault. It's Holder's fault. Back in my day... Etc. Etc.

It's a 6 pm weeknight game, so the OKC and Tulsa alumni would've struggled to make it after work. It hasn't been a good or consistent product. The only cure is to keep winning. Pointing fingers doesn't do a lot of help.

Jun 14, 2011
I was hoping, after last year, that in the off season Waters would work on his handles a LOT. He had the same problems bringing the ball up the court last year when he got stuck in the role. With Cunningham gone, I fear he may get put into that position more often than he should. With better handle, it seems feasible that he would be much more of a danger driving to the basket which should make him really tough to guard.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Can we talk about the crowd size? It was *atrocious*. I know we’ve parsed it out in past, but it is ridiculous. Can’t the student section *at least* be full of raucous students? That is sad to see.

I remember, as a sophomore going back to school early, after winter break, so I could watch us play Texas (when they had TJ Ford, Royall Ivey, Brian Boddicker(?)). School hadn’t even restarted. And there was a lot of people there. Tonight’s crowd was pure trash. I can’t believe that. They shoild be there yelling and screaming and supporting these guys, regardless of how good they are.
Classes don’t start till next week.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
Classes don’t start till next week.
Yes, the students do not get back to next week.

The holes in attendance will continue. We had season tickets back in the late 90s and into the 2000+ seasons. But things happen, including Holder's price increase. If he had the forethought to look at his base of season ticket holders from Tulsa and OKC he would have seen they were in their + 40s to over. That is now 28 years or a little less, we are no longer candidates for season tickets even with the lower costs. Hard to admit but there is a time when the old eyes get old and basketball season is mostly in the dark with late games, and a drive home in the dark is not what it was once. Holder has to get the in town folks to support, just not sure he has had that epiphany - in Stilly w/o the town support the old gal will only have echos

Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida
A couple of random observations:

Late in the game and Texas has to foul and we have the #3 free throw shooter in the country inbounding the ball.

Texas is 2-21 shooting 3's and is killing us by driving to the goal with ease. We should have gone to a zone at that point and taken away the lane.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

The holes in attendance will continue. We had season tickets back in the late 90s and into the 2000+ seasons. But things happen, including Holder's price increase. If he had the forethought to look at his base of season ticket holders from Tulsa and OKC he would have seen they were in their + 40s to over. That is now 28 years or a little less, we are no longer candidates for season tickets even with the lower costs. Hard to admit but there is a time when the old eyes get old and basketball season is mostly in the dark with late games, and a drive home in the dark is not what it was once. Holder has to get the in town folks to support, just not sure he has had that epiphany - in Stilly w/o the town support the old gal will only have echos
Just how old are you? I have had season tickets for about 18 years. I’m 67 and have an hour drive. My wife still works. I’m self employed. Age is an excuse if you let it be.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

Each year OSU graduates a new crop of fans to replace the fans that drop season tickets. Winning is the best medicine for filling the arena.

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
It's a tired, lose-lose argument. Easier to watch on TV (fewer games on TV then); better products available (Thunder); a standard setting coach that raised fan expectations so that they've rarely supported any of the coaches since then. It's the student' fault; those who show up don't wear orange; they just look at their phone; it's the alumni's fault. It's Holder's fault. Back in my day... Etc. Etc.

It's a 6 pm weeknight game, so the OKC and Tulsa alumni would've struggled to make it after work. It hasn't been a good or consistent product. The only cure is to keep winning. Pointing fingers doesn't do a lot of help.
^^^^^This is the best answer. My wife gets home from work around 5:30 and I live 100 miles away. It takes 90 minutes, no matter what, to get to Stillwater from my house. Add parking and getting inside the arena and you can call it two hours from my house to my seat. That makes it 7:30 for a 6:00 tip off. That makes it impossible for anyone further than about 30 minutes away to make the game on time. Weekday, early games are a tough draw. No excuses (for most people) for weekend games though.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Congrats on the win. Here's Mark Cooper's recap...

He had just endured a two-hour maelstrom of highs and lows, a first half of dominance followed by a second half in which his Oklahoma State team threw the basketball to the other team more often than it made field goals in its own basket.

For coach Mike Boynton, though, with a roster that is now 50 percent freshmen, it was a win. So when Boynton was asked for his customary opening thoughts after the Cowboys squeezed out a 61-58 victory over Texas on Tuesday, only four words immediately came to mind.

“Damn, winning is hard,” Boynton said. “That’s what I think.”

The first two months of this season have been hard, so it’s only right that OSU’s (7-8, 1-2 Big 12) first conference win was no different. Against a Texas team (10-5, 2-1) that began Big 12 play fast with two victories last week, Oklahoma State combined its best all-around half of the season — the result being a 39-22 advantage at the break — with one of its poorest stretches of offense in 15 games.

Oklahoma State had more turnovers (seven) than field goals (five) in the second half. It got enough out of its defense to hold on and snag a much-needed conference win in front of 6,486 at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
Also, here's 25 photos from the game. Postgame shot:
27552464E.jpg