Texas baseball at OSU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 8, 2008
We're not top heavy like the PAC12, we have serious depth in our league, and it shows in the standings. Most of the teams are going to just flat out beat each other up in league play. The conference champion could literally end up with only 14 conference W's this year.
I sure hope nope not, the means we only win 4 out of the next 9 conf games...

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
You still miss the point. Getting two runners thrown out trying to steal third in potential run scoring innings is not good. Burning the closer yesterday with a chance to be in first with a win today was not good. Those weren’t good decisions. But, the players executed under pressure today and found a way to come back more than once and win. That is team showing a toughness in big games that will bode well as the season goes on. And I would bet you don’t see those types of decisions happening again from Josh.

There is no weasling out of anything.
If you believe that every single stolen base, hit and run attempt, taken pitch, etc... was a decision by the coaching staff I am just not too sure what to tell you. Those kids are taught to recognize situations and if they recognize a chance to capitalize are many times given the green light to do so. Do you or I know which of those times was a player choice and which was a coach choice? No. But just know, it is not all on the coaches for making "bad calls".

Nov 14, 2010
If you believe that every single stolen base, hit and run attempt, taken pitch, etc... was a decision by the coaching staff I am just not too sure what to tell you. Those kids are taught to recognize situations and if they recognize a chance to capitalize are many times given the green light to do so. Do you or I know which of those times was a player choice and which was a coach choice? No. But just know, it is not all on the coaches for making "bad calls".
I can guarantee you that every single hit and run is a coaching staff decision. Otherwise you're asking both he hitter and the runner to give each other some kind of signal to each other as to what they're doing.

We have 55 homeruns and 34 stolen bases.

We don't have a base stealer that is accomplished enough to have a green light.

If so...
You're talking about very isolated incidents with maybe Boone.

But he would be the only one and I highly doubt that he's been given green light steals.

Our leading base stealer is a true freshman and he only has 8.

With that kind of homerun fire oower, there is no way Josh is going to let a kid run us out of an inning

If you're implying that there is anyone that thinks that every pitch we have taken was a called take by the coaches then that's silly.

Josh has total control over every decision that is made with our offense

Even if a kid gets a green light, it has to be given by Josh.

It's not a year long open invitation

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I can guarantee you that every single hit and run is a coaching staff decision. Otherwise you're asking both he hitter and the runner to give each other some kind of signal to each other as to what they're doing.

We have 55 homeruns and 34 stolen bases.

We don't have a base stealer that is accomplished enough to have a green light.

If so...
You're talking about very isolated incidents with maybe Boone.

But he would be the only one and I highly doubt that he's been given green light steals.

Our leading base stealer is a true freshman and he only has 8.

With that kind of homerun fire oower, there is no way Josh is going to let a kid run us out of an inning

If you're implying that there is anyone that thinks that every pitch we have taken was a called take by the coaches then that's silly.

Josh has total control over every decision that is made with our offense

Even if a kid gets a green light, it has to be given by Josh.

It's not a year long open invitation
So what do you think happened with the attempted steal of 3rd the other day? I didn't get that one at all.

I mean, I guess you could say he could score from 3rd on a passed ball (which I realize did happen later), but percentages would say you're more likely to get a base hit than a passed ball.

Kid isn't a base stealer, either, so I just didn't get it.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
it's total speculation on my part, but Simpson had a look on his face like that was a really stupid decision, after he was tagged out...........

Nov 14, 2010
i think Simpson went on his own..........
Zero chance Simpson had the green light to go on his own in that situation.

Josh has pitch delivery times and pop times that were favorable and the pitcher crossed it up.

There are a myriad of ways to score from 3rd that aren't possible from 2nd.

Stealing 3rd also takes away they pitchers sharp breaking ball because it's too much of a risk going to the screen.

It didn't work so now fans complain.

His numbers are right WAY more than they are wrong but fans only notice the times where they are wrong.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Josh has pitch delivery times and pop times that were favorable and the pitcher crossed it up.

Stealing 3rd also takes away they pitchers sharp breaking ball because it's too much of a risk going to the screen.

His numbers are right WAY more than they are wrong but fans only notice the times where they are wrong.
I'm not really complaining here, it was just a puzzling decision that ran us out of an inning in a tight game.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

i don't need you to explain the nuances of baseball to me. I understand the game. I explained why I thought he made the decision on his own. It's my opinion, and I stated it was total speculation.........

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
i don't need you to explain the nuances of baseball to me. I understand the game. I explained why I thought he made the decision on his own. It's my opinion, and I stated it was total speculation.........
Yeah, I don't get the problem with discussing what was obviously a bad decision. I would've questioned why, even if he'd been successful with the steal.