Texas baseball at OSU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Uh, I doubt he burned Leeper. Clearly Rob thought he needed work. Whether it was just to tune his arm, or try to work out some of his wildness of late. I’m sure Rob’s plan for the weekend wasn’t to burn Leeper in a 10-0 game.

SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s fine if it’s a non-con game early in the year or final game in a conference series, but not when you’re in a conference race, half game out, and game to play tomorrow. He could have stopped it but didn’t.

Last edited:

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
In this situation you secure the series win.
At 10-0 you could easily bring someone else. If they faltered Leeper was still available to secure it without possibly burning him.

It was actually brining him in the eight that was the questionable call. Plenty of good arms available to pitch one inning tonight and have both, if needed for tomorrow. A one or two run game would have been a different story.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
At 10-0 you could bring someone else. If they faltered Leeper was still available to secure it without possibly burning him.

It was actually brining him in the eight that was the questionable call. Plenty of good arms available to pitch one inning tonight and have both, if needed for tomorrow. A one or two run game would have been a different story.
The infamous 8th inning where everyone loses there shit because we blew leads in the past?

Plus like you said, plenty of good arms to pitch for one inning tomorrow and the series locked up.

MT Cowboy

'S Go
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2013
CO
At 10-0 you could bring someone else. If they faltered Leeper was still available to secure it without possibly burning him.

The infamous 8th inning where everyone loses there shit because we blew leads in the past?

Plus like you said, plenty of good arms to pitch for one inning tomorrow and the series locked up.
Been running Gragg in like a closer a lot lately. With the series already locked up, tomorrow would seem to be the perfect time to keep testing/grooming him for that without the pressure of the series weighing on him.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I think after a rough time at KU last weekend, he’s thinking just get Leeper some work and go with Battenfield or Gragg should it even be needed tomorrow.

Leeper is far from the finished product, and needs mound appearances.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004

Like said, 1-2 or even 3 run lead is a whole different scenario than 10-0 and in complete control.

Guys like Battenfield have been consistently pretty solid 8th inning guys. Some of the others he has run out there, not so much and head scratchers to begin with or put out there way too late in big holes.

Anyway, there's No Leeper tomorrow and hopefully someone will step up and make his use not necessary.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Like said, 1-2 or even 3 run lead is a whole different scenario than 10-0 and in complete control.

Guys like Battenfield have been consistently pretty solid 8th inning guys. Some of the others he has run out there, not so much and head scratchers to begin with or put out there way too late in big holes.

Anyway, there's No Leeper tomorrow and hopefully someone will step up and make his use not necessary.
Leeper will be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
On a side note, there has been a push to add a third paid assistant in college baseball. Many are in favor, but the Big 10 and Big 12 are against (including OSU). The proposal eventually failed. Strange that we would be against it. Many have said they would vote for it if it didn’t include softball too, maybe that was OSUs stance.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
On a side note, there has been a push to add a third paid assistant in college baseball. Many are in favor, but the Big 10 and Big 12 are against (including OSU). The proposal eventually failed. Strange that we would be against it. Many have said they would vote for it if it didn’t include softball too, maybe that was OSUs stance.

What would be the reasoning AGAINST it? Big 10 and Big 12 schools shouldn’t be against the additional cost. I’m genuinely curious what would the reason be?

Apr 7, 2006
On the Leeper thing... I don’t think you can view a closer at this level the way you look at one in the minors or major league. Walton’s perspective here is that he’s got a guy who he’d like to use every x number of days/innings to keep developing them. In the pregame Holliday made it clear that the way they’d been using Parker Scott was with a plan to make him a weekend starter. So there’s some planning that goes into the rotation at this level that’s beyond the in game strategy.

If you look at Leepers last couple outings I’m guessing there was a desire to get him some work to put some of those outings behind him.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx

What would be the reasoning AGAINST it? Big 10 and Big 12 schools shouldn’t be against the additional cost. I’m genuinely curious what would the reason be?
I think I have an answer you. I was listening to the UT AD on the radio a couple of days ago and he said they had tacked on to the proposal that they would also add a 3rd coach for softball. He isn’t necessarily against that, but they hadn’t even discussed it. He said he’d like to at least discuss that part before approving it.

Aug 16, 2012
Oklahoma State center fielder Trevor Boone became the first Cowboy to have three career three-home run games as OSU clobbered Texas on Thursday in Stillwater.

Why, with the number of outright hitting studs we have had over the past 30 years, does this just seem inconceivable? If anyone, thought Pete would be able to say this. Remarkable hitting stretch here for Boone. Cannot wait to see him keep it going.