Texans to resign Weeden as Backup QB

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
The move signals to me that they are going to try to pick up a QB later in the draft or bring in a UDFA. Someone that can develop behind DW yet capable of playing if he has the injury bug. I imagine BW is a safety valve in case they cannot get a guy they like. I’d doubt he makes the 53 player roster if they bring in an extra qb through draft or free agency. He can also assist DW in breaking down the defense and developing the WRs. I could be wrong but that’s how I see this move. Similar to RG3 in Baltimore.
Last time around they were keeping him as the 3rd QB, before the season the former GM decided they didn't need a 3rd QB since they rarely play (except for the Texans which is why he is the former GM). I imagine that OB brought him back for the same role, he won't suit up on game day but will be an arm in practice and available should they need him.

Joe Webb is the type of backup Texans fans were expecting, similar skill set to Watson so they can continue to run the game plan if he goes down.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The move signals to me that they are going to try to pick up a QB later in the draft or bring in a UDFA. Someone that can develop behind DW yet capable of playing if he has the injury bug. I imagine BW is a safety valve in case they cannot get a guy they like. I’d doubt he makes the 53 player roster if they bring in an extra qb through draft or free agency. He can also assist DW in breaking down the defense and developing the WRs. I could be wrong but that’s how I see this move. Similar to RG3 in Baltimore.
Why would the Texans draft a QB? They have their future QB already. They just need an experienced backup, which Weeden provides.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Why would the Texans draft a QB? They have their future QB already. They just need an experienced backup, which Weeden provides.
They may not now that they signed Joe Webb from Buffalo. I’d assume he would be q.b 2. Not sure tough.
I believe DW has shown the ability to be a star in the NFL. That said, the dude is 22 years old and has already torn both ACLs. The reality is that he has played 4 years of post high school football and has had 2 season ending injuries. I think they are invested in DW as the QB of the future, but they need a contengency plan. They need to develop a stong backup in case he is unable to play. If the backup turns out to be a really good they could trade him for another immediate need.