Texans to resign Weeden as Backup QB

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
He better be ready to play though.
Yeah. I haven't followed Watson's recovery, and I wouldn't claim to know much about NFL staffing either. Does this at all imply that Watson's recovery is or isn't going well? (Possibly is going well, so they don't need someone with more experience as a back up. Or possibly isn't, so they needed to add a back up to their back up.) The article says they brought in Weeden "to back up Watson". Surely there are other QB's on the roster. Is Weeden expected to be #2 on the depth chart?

Feb 25, 2008
Sounds like they got Weeden for training camp as he already know the system.

--------------------------------

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL...rowns-Titans-QB-Brandon-Weeden/5091522185089/

Texans coach Bill O'Brien told James Palmer of NFL Media that Watson is ahead of schedule in his recovery, and he is expected to be ready for the start of the 2018 season. But it remains unclear when Watson will return to team workouts.
Weeden, 34, played for the Texans in 2015 and 2016 before being released in September 2017.
Weeden has experience in O'Brien's system.

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
Yeah. I haven't followed Watson's recovery, and I wouldn't claim to know much about NFL staffing either. Does this at all imply that Watson's recovery is or isn't going well? (Possibly is going well, so they don't need someone with more experience as a back up. Or possibly isn't, so they needed to add a back up to their back up.) The article says they brought in Weeden "to back up Watson". Surely there are other QB's on the roster. Is Weeden expected to be #2 on the depth chart?
Tom Savage beat out Weeden for the backup spot last year, and he went to the Titans, I believe. Savage signed with some one else this year, and as Weeden if familiar with the system, they resigned him. I believe as of now, he will be the primary backup to Watson.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Weeden won a couple of games for the Texans -- one getting them into the playoffs. I'd love to see Weeden run a team with the same confidence he had with OSU. At least the Texans realize he does have that capability.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
No. Tom savage left. They need a backup. Has zero to do with Watson. Every team needs a backup.

Aug 16, 2012
Weeden won a couple of games for the Texans -- one getting them into the playoffs. I'd love to see Weeden run a team with the same confidence he had with OSU. At least the Texans realize he does have that capability.
Only to be benched while the "starter" pissed it all away. He had the hot hand two playoffs ago and should have kept the reins.

Mar 8, 2010
Just hard to figure why some great college q-backs can't seem to adjust to the NFL. I still think Rudolph will have a better NFL career than Mayfield.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Only to be benched while the "starter" pissed it all away. He had the hot hand two playoffs ago and should have kept the reins.
Yeah. That’s when I lost any faith in O’Brien. Guy isn’t a great coach IMO....or he has the Cleveland syndrome when it comes to QBs. Watson saved his Bacon.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Yeah. That’s when I lost any faith in O’Brien. Guy isn’t a great coach IMO....or he has the Cleveland syndrome when it comes to QBs. Watson saved his Bacon.
I think it was the safe call. (Which I hate btw). Many programs have a not lose your spot due to injury policy. It’s a lose - lose situation unless you win. Either way he would be questioned. It reminds me of when Marty Shittenheimer benched the Rich Gannon, who carried the team all season to the playoffs and played Elvis Grbac and lost the game. Rich went on to Oakland and won a SB and my chiefs went back to sucking.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I love that Weed is back in Houston but honestly I don't understand the signing, the system is now built for Watson athleticism. Not sure why they didn't try to find a similar type player.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I love that Weed is back in Houston but honestly I don't understand the signing, the system is now built for Watson athleticism. Not sure why they didn't try to find a similar type player.
Its a cheap / fast way to get Watson a backup. I think most NFL teams are only carrying 2 QBs on their active roster most weeks, and the backups are usually a huge step down from the starter (with obvious exceptions at times).

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The move signals to me that they are going to try to pick up a QB later in the draft or bring in a UDFA. Someone that can develop behind DW yet capable of playing if he has the injury bug. I imagine BW is a safety valve in case they cannot get a guy they like. I’d doubt he makes the 53 player roster if they bring in an extra qb through draft or free agency. He can also assist DW in breaking down the defense and developing the WRs. I could be wrong but that’s how I see this move. Similar to RG3 in Baltimore.