Tesla Tulsa?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The main reason I think we have a chance is a guy who only lives here part time and part time in SF. His initials are GK and he was involved in a huge solar energy scandal in 2010-11...I'm pretty sure he has big ties to Tesla and Musk on at least the solar energy front. Personally I'm not in agreement with him politically (GK) but he has done a bunch for the city...just wish he would quit supporting planned "parenthood."

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Tesla isn’t moving out of Fremont they never intended to move, they are physically capped in Fremont and that’s been a known for quite some time, plus he had to reduce overall costs and that ain’t happening here.
Nv got the energy side, Tx or Ok will likely get the trucks, someone else will get the next big thing etc...
Musk is a businessman first and foremost so is he ticked at the unconstitutional orders here, sure, but he was always setting up his next factory outside of Ca and now, like Amazon, he has people slobbering on themselves to ‘win’.
Tulsa has a shot as does Austin, Tulsa’s biggest obstacle is not talent it’s physical distance from easy transportation access for materials and sa’s vs the relative closeness of Austin to the same.
Personally, Musk has decided to leave the state it appears and possibly his hq goes with him but put all that aside and think of all the publicity he’s “not paid for” by taking the approach he has. In many ways he’s not unlike our potus.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Tesla isn’t moving out of Fremont they never intended to move, they are physically capped in Fremont and that’s been a known for quite some time, plus he had to reduce overall costs and that ain’t happening here.
Nv got the energy side, Tx or Ok will likely get the trucks, someone else will get the next big thing etc...
Musk is a businessman first and foremost so is he ticked at the unconstitutional orders here, sure, but he was always setting up his next factory outside of Ca and now, like Amazon, he has people slobbering on themselves to ‘win’.
Tulsa has a shot as does Austin, Tulsa’s biggest obstacle is not talent it’s physical distance from easy transportation access for materials and sa’s vs the relative closeness of Austin to the same.
Personally, Musk has decided to leave the state it appears and possibly his hq goes with him but put all that aside and think of all the publicity he’s “not paid for” by taking the approach he has. In many ways he’s not unlike our potus.
Putting a plant in tulsa opens up half the country to his product. Being in tulsa, oklahoma allows him to shake off the "California". Austin doesn't as much because its weird.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Thats where I think tulsa has the edge. Trans is what tulsa has the edge with the Port of Catoosa. Which is owned by the city, and they have the land there to give away. It has great access to a major interstate with a lack of traffic compared to Austin. They have a great rail system and of course the barge system.

https://www.tulsaport.com/about/

If they choose tulsa , my money is on the port. If that happens Owasso and Catoosa will grow a lot.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Thats where I think tulsa has the edge. Trans is what tulsa has the edge with the Port of Catoosa. Which is owned by the city, and they have the land there to give away. It has great access to a major interstate with a lack of traffic compared to Austin. They have a great rail system and of course the barge system.

https://www.tulsaport.com/about/

If they choose tulsa , my money is on the port. If that happens Owasso and Catoosa will grow a lot.
A large portion of Tesla’s raw goods and subs arrive in Fremont from around the world via rail by way of the port of Oakland, a small amount arrives via truck and large shipments of vehicles are 100% rail.
Tulsa’s biggest advantage and make no mistake it’s a big advantage, if Musk goes to Austin, Musk is a face in the crowd, if he goes to Tulsa, he’s the face of Tulsa and for him that’s important.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
A large portion of Tesla’s raw goods and subs arrive in Fremont from around the world via rail by way of the port of Oakland, a small amount arrives via truck and large shipments of vehicles are 100%
I think we are saying the same thing. I see your point on ego too. Port of catoosa he would basically own it, with water , rail, and road system. Plus the airport is 15 minutes away.

https://www.okcommerce.gov/oklahomas-little-known-treasure/

Last edited:

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
I think we are saying the same thing. I see your point on ego too. Port of catoosa he would basically own it, with water , rail, and road system. Plus the airport is 15 minutes away.

https://www.okcommerce.gov/oklahomas-little-known-treasure/
You’re making great points what I don’t know is what freight rail serves austin from the GoM. Because I expect all the product that currently flows through the PoO will now flow through the Gulf, if not then it’s the same question what freight rail runs from PoO to Austin or Tulsa. I know Tesla’s mfg practices I don’t know us freight rail availability. I do think Tulsa has more than a punchers chance and of that I’m really pleased.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
You’re making great points what I don’t know is what freight rail serves austin from the GoM. Because I expect all the product that currently flows through the PoO will now flow through the Gulf, if not then it’s the same question what freight rail runs from PoO to Austin or Tulsa. I know Tesla’s mfg practices I don’t know us freight rail availability. I do think Tulsa has more than a punchers chance and of that I’m really pleased.
Tulsa has a very good rail system from what I have been told. Years ago I was on the board for a fed agency and worked with a lot local government on LEED projects. The port has a good rail system. I do not know about the systems in Austin either.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
My gawd. The Oklahoma Aquarium in an effort to get Tesla to come to Tulsa, has said they will name one of their eels, 'Eelon Musk', if they choose Tulsa. Just embarrassing.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Serious question that I haven't had the time to research: has anyone at Tesla confirmed that Tulsa is an option? So far the only thing I saw was a 'source' with the city of tulsa who wasn't even authorized to talk about it. I don't doubt that Telsa might have visited, but how serious are they about it? Musks own tweets only mention NV and TX.

Tulsa seems like the nerdy student that got put in a study group with a hot girl and now thinks they are dating because she asked him what page the assignment was on.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
Serious question that I haven't had the time to research: has anyone at Tesla confirmed that Tulsa is an option? So far the only thing I saw was a 'source' with the city of tulsa who wasn't even authorized to talk about it. I don't doubt that Telsa might have visited, but how serious are they about it? Musks own tweets only mention NV and TX.

Tulsa seems like the nerdy student that got put in a study group with a hot girl and now thinks they are dating because she asked him what page the assignment was on.
This is regarding the new Gigafactory for the Cybertruck. Musks tweets about Texas and Nevada are in reference to him considering relocating the Tesla HQ out of California due to their COVID regulations.

Oct 30, 2007

There have been several credible sources report that Tesla has sent scouts to Tulsa to look at potential factory locations. I haven't seen anything officially from Tesla though.

https://apnews.com/0a9fd1530e5cb8ddcd94143eae641248
Tesla picks Austin, Tulsa as finalists for new US factory
Tesla has picked Austin, Texas, and Tulsa, Oklahoma, as finalists for its new U.S. assembly plant, a person briefed on the matter said Friday. The person says company officials visited Tulsa in the past week and were shown two sites.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2005
Broken Arrow, OK
The main reason I think we have a chance is a guy who only lives here part time and part time in SF. His initials are GK and he was involved in a huge solar energy scandal in 2010-11...I'm pretty sure he has big ties to Tesla and Musk on at least the solar energy front. Personally I'm not in agreement with him politically (GK) but he has done a bunch for the city...just wish he would quit supporting planned "parenthood."
I've heard rumors that when Austin was in the running for Amazon HQ2 there were people who did not want it because Austin is struggling with overloaded infrastructure already. Same people, for same reasons, don't want Tesla.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I guess Musk is serious about moving. I just read something that said he tweeted Saturday fremont may even be moved.

This would be difficult too say the least as he cannot keep up production now in California.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I honestly think Tulsa has zero chance. Well not zero.

50% stay where he's at
40% Austin
9% Dallas
1% Tulsa
He's talking about the location of a new plant to build his trucks. I'm betting he runs from Cali. I would put my money on Texas getting the plant. There are no Tesla dealers in Oklahoma so maybe he comes this way instead of Texas. Have to have dealerships to sell cars in most states.